Happy2Smile's story

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Happy2Smile

Happy2Smile's story

#1 Post by Happy2Smile »

I have been ashamed of my smile for a very long time. :cry: In 2004, I did ortho-records and went for my consult. The first step was to get my bottom wisdom teeth cut out since they were impacted, and not able to come up, because I did not have enough space. It was then discussed for my over-bite. The only option that I remembered was a bite plate possibly and then top and bottom braces. At that time it was estimated to cost around $5000 dollars. Well at that time the only thing I had money to proceed on was getting my wisdom teeth cut out.

So, now come to 2010 and I wanted to know if it would cost the same because I was going make a definate effort to get money some how, and they said I would have to do ortho records again. So April 19th 2010, I had new ortho records done. Well, I was all set on the bite plate and braces, because that is what I remembered from before. Oh and b4 when I had ortho records done I almost bit the lady's finger off (not literally ofcourse) :oops: , so this time I practiced with a nighttime guard I had bought from Walmart. I did very well and was very happy. It is so hard sometimes not to want to gag when doing those things.

So, I go to my consult May 17th, and to my dismay, :shock: my dentist tells me that he feels my best option was a palatal expander. He had asked if I had remembered this from b4, and I was like no. I briefly rememered that there were a couple of things he mentioned. He was unsure if the palatal expander would work without surgery, but he thought that it was worth a try, and I knew I didn't have $ for surgery as well. The bill already was a little over $7000 dollars. And thank God I did have at least half of the $7000, so I knew I would be able to proceed! :D

hal2me

#2 Post by hal2me »

Welcome! Wishing you the best of luck with your treatment. It will be the best decision you ever made!! :D

Happy2Smile

#3 Post by Happy2Smile »

I am totally excited hal2me!

So then to continue on my story, June 8th I got spacers put in and June 10th I had the expander put in. The hardest thing for me at first was trying to figure out how to swallow my spit! I ate soft foods for awhile (lots of mashed potatoes), but gradually got used to eating other foods.

June 17th I went to the Dentist to activate the expander. I guess he does anywhere from 2 to 3 turns. The pressure was pretty great at 2, and I was like wow. :shock: So he stopped there. Shortly after the pressure went down greatly, so I think I could have went three. I told my dentist, he could go ahead and do three but he was like "no thats good". He figured it activated with just the two. So I was told to turn it every Thursday 1 to 2 times whatever I could handle.

So, I couldn't wait till Thursday so I turned it once on Monday June 21st. It barely felt like anything happened so I decided to turn it twice on Thursday the the 24th. I behaved myself :oops: for the rest of the time except for July13 when I thought maybe my doctor wasn't having me turn it often enough, cuz online it looked like people where turning it way more often. Well, when I went to do my normal two on Thursday (July 15th), it hurt incredibly digging into my gums. :cry: So, you can bet I will/did not do that again.
So as of now, I have turned it 28 times. I am not sure how many mine can go! I do know that I will be turning it until it is done.

catgyrl

#4 Post by catgyrl »

Hi Happy2Smile!

Thank you for sharing your story with us. You might want to re-post it update it in the "My Braces Stories" section. That's where most of us have our stories, and that way it won't get buried in the myriad of other posts in Metal Mouth Forum.

Good luck to you!
-Cathy