When will I see progress?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

hypocrite opportunist

When will I see progress?

#1 Post by hypocrite opportunist »

Hi all, I've been braced for four days now, and while I certainly don't expect to see any changes this fast, I am wondering, on average, how long it takes for your teeth to start shifting. Will I see any differrence in one month from now, or is it really just a case-by-case basis. I am wearing Damon brackets on top only (bottom ones can't go on yet due to overbite). Thanks!!
Female, Age 31

[/url]

[/url]

believer1964

i started seeing changes probably in 2nd to 3rd week.

#2 Post by believer1964 »

top 2 front teeth were slanted in and other teeth next to it were twisted and sticking out ...they are almost straight. bottom teeth have moved but it is not as noticeable and slower

now i have a overbite/overjet now. i started off w/ deep overbite. now i have overbite and overjet.

hypocrite opportunist

#3 Post by hypocrite opportunist »

Wow, that seems like a lot of progress for just one month! That is strange you developed an overjet- my bite is deep too (50%) so I wonder if I might run into that issue as well. Thanks!
Female, Age 31

[/url]

[/url]

BraceFace2o1o

#4 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

believer1964 wrote:now i have overbite and overjet.
hypocrite opportunist wrote:I wonder if I might run into that issue as well. Thanks!
I think it's just part of the process, as most peope have their braces on for about 18 months... obviously alot can happen and there's plenty of time.

Some people on here have said things seem to get worse before better, it's all part of shifting teeth and your bite to get them in the correct positions.

believer1964, I bet what you're experiencing is normal and part of the process and I doubt your Ortho will leave you with an 'overjet' at the end of your treatment.
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

Margie

#5 Post by Margie »

I think I noticed changes after a month or so. And in my experience my teeth did get worse before they got better.

You can check out my story (links in my sig) if you want to see pictures.

hypocrite opportunist

#6 Post by hypocrite opportunist »

Thanks Margie, great pictures!
Female, Age 31

[/url]

[/url]

blackapple

#7 Post by blackapple »

It's way too early for you to be noticing any changes. I have had mine almost a month and although I don't detect any changes I know some have occured because several teeth are much easier to floss through. I think I read here that teeth move on average of 1mm a month? Hang in there and take lots of pictures over the next couple of months.

hal2me

#8 Post by hal2me »

I noticed changes after about a month in braces. However, only I could really see them. The only way I could really see the changes was to compare before and present pictures. Good luck to you!!!

Lynette

#9 Post by Lynette »

I've had my ceramic braces on almost 3 weeks and have already seen changes with 3 teeth. Only very small changes though (1-2mm max!).

I found the best way to monitor change is take photos once a week and compare.

23 year old female with ceramic braces.

http://www.projectbraceface.wordpress.com