Mistake???

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pasr16

Mistake???

#1 Post by pasr16 »

hello all i have been wearing braces for over a year now and I went to my orthodontist's office because a power chain had snapped, so when the tech was fixing it she noticed that my arch-wire had been hooked in the wrong hole (lower) and it was supposed to go in the middle hole of the crowns that go on my molars, she called the Otho over and he confirmed her suspicions, after that he changed my wire to a thinner one and said things had misaligned(he said having the thinker wire ive had been wearing could break the brackets). also he said i should stopped using rubber bands to fix my overbite even though its not even close to being fixed. why was this done? is it common? will it make my treatment span longer?
thanks!!!!!!!!

VA5

Re: Mistake???

#2 Post by VA5 »

pasr16 wrote:hello all i have been wearing braces for over a year now and I went to my orthodontist's office because a power chain had snapped, so when the tech was fixing it she noticed that my arch-wire had been hooked in the wrong hole (lower) and it was supposed to go in the middle hole of the crowns that go on my molars, she called the Otho over and he confirmed her suspicions, after that he changed my wire to a thinner one and said things had misaligned(he said having the thinker wire ive had been wearing could break the brackets). also he said i should stopped using rubber bands to fix my overbite even though its not even close to being fixed. why was this done? is it common? will it make my treatment span longer?
thanks!!!!!!!!
i've had something similar happen to me. i had a bracket come off, unknowingly. So, the tooth shifted a little bit and the ortho had to put in a weaker wire and eliminate the elastics/powerchains i was on, until my next visit when my teeth were level/straight again, and then i went back up to the stronger wire and elastics/powerchains. So, yeah, it will make your treatment longer by however many weeks he asks you to come back in after you get it fixed.

roost22

#3 Post by roost22 »

At 19 months I was pretty much done but my regular orthodontist was not in that day so his son worked on me and told me to come back in 10 days for debanding but what happened was my wire got put in backwards and my teeth went wacko, now it is two months later and FOUR adjustments with alot of pain and they are back to where they were. I have a appointment Monday, hopefully to have them removed.
lower metal brackets 12/3/2008, upper red,white and blue system12/29/08 , tx 12-16 months Image

roost22

#4 Post by roost22 »

At 19 months I was pretty much done but my regular orthodontist was not in that day so his son worked on me and told me to come back in 10 days for debanding but what happened was my wire got put in backwards and my teeth went wacko, now it is two months later and FOUR adjustments with alot of pain and they are back to where they were. I have a appointment Monday, hopefully to have them removed.
lower metal brackets 12/3/2008, upper red,white and blue system12/29/08 , tx 12-16 months Image

midlifesmile

#5 Post by midlifesmile »

roost22 wrote:At 19 months I was pretty much done but my regular orthodontist was not in that day so his son worked on me and told me to come back in 10 days for debanding but what happened was my wire got put in backwards and my teeth went wacko, now it is two months later and FOUR adjustments with alot of pain and they are back to where they were. I have a appointment Monday, hopefully to have them removed.
:shock: Oh, I'd be a little miffed. Did you wait the 10 days or did you know something was wrong before then?

roost22

#6 Post by roost22 »

I knew as soon as I got home and called and was told my wire was bent and I would be fine. My teeth went way out of wack. Miffed is not the word that comes to my mind. These last 2 months have been the most pain of my 21 months of dental bondage. If your wire wants to keep springing out of your mouth suspect something is wrong.