Trying to decide on treatment, embarrassed.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

AndrewM

Trying to decide on treatment, embarrassed.

#1 Post by AndrewM »

I'm 39 years old and I've always been self-conscious about the way my teeth look. Honestly, I don't think my teeth are terribly bad in absolute terms, but they're certainly a little crooked and I've got a little of an overbite (again, mild). My parents never took me to an orthodontist when I was a kid (they were kind of unconventional, plus money was always pretty tight), so I don't have much of a frame of reference. In any event, I feel like I missed out on an opportunity that many of my peers had to have really nice teeth. I've finally decided to explore the possibility of getting my teeth straightened, but I'm embarrassed to go through with it. I'm not so much embarrassed at the notion of wearing braces. If the orthodontist thought it was appropriate, I'd do it. I'm mostly embarrassed at the notion that I'm doing this purely out of vanity. I just feel like I need some perspective on this. How do orthodontists view this?

blackapple

#2 Post by blackapple »

I see nothing wrong with improving the aesthetics of your smile. For me it's not all about aesthetics. I ended up with destabilization of my bite and subsequent tmj from two crows last year. My general dentist referred me to ortho because she said she had done all she could to those crowns. My only hope to improve things and try to relieve any long standing pain would be to address the situation with braces. I remember the ortho telling me I could live a prosperous life even without braces but why not improve my bite and some aesthetics as well. My point is if you don't like something why not try to make an improvement in yourself?

Olivia

#3 Post by Olivia »

Hi!

I know exactly what you mean....I too began to feel a bit embarrassed, reading all the posts from people who have major issues and are going through long treatments now...And I am worse than you...I did have braces in the past, but I really want the mild relapse that occured fixed...I had an appointment with the ortho yesterday for moulds and she said that from my x rays, she could she that my bite, profile etc...were all perfect and needed nothing done,I can also live a prosperous life without fixing anything. It´s all about 2 small gaps and a Slightly crooked tooth...So I am going to spend 3000 euros on ...vanity...(invisalign, more vanity! ;))
But...I think it is all about how YOU feel...I really liked my smile when my teeth were perfectly straught, I want that back, so I'm doing it....for ME!

Good luck on your decision, I would say, I f you can afford it and you think it will make you happy (ier) Go for it!!!

hazel

Re: Trying to decide on treatment, embarrassed.

#4 Post by hazel »

Hi AndrewM!
I got lower braces three weeks ago and I'm 38....my decision to get braces was purely aesthetical. The first ortho I consulted was asking questions of the why now type and this really made me feel uncomfortable.....but the second ortho I consulted seemed to think nobody was ever too old for braces. Try to find an orthodontist you feel comfortable with.

Good luck with your decision :-#)

Sandpiper

#5 Post by Sandpiper »

Hi AndrewM,

I am 42, and have had braces for just over 2 months. My front teeth were a little wonky, but my main prob was a crossbite, which made me look very lopsided when I talked. Although I am only early in my journey, I have been very surprised by the positive effect on my confidence just getting started on the journey has had! :D Even though I would prefer to be without braces (who wouldn't??), the changes I have seen to date, coupled with the knowledge that I am on my way, has really really encouraged me. At the end of the day, you only have to reconcile with yourself.....so what if it is a "vanity" decision?? Don't be put off....go for it! Look forward to hearing how you get on.
471 days in braces

[/url]

AndrewM

#6 Post by AndrewM »

Thanks to all for your encouragement and perspective. I've decided to take the plunge (or at least the next step) and filled out a request for consultation with a local orthodontist. We'll see how it goes. I'm still having visions of being laughed out of the office...

blackapple

#7 Post by blackapple »

Aw you will be fine. Hell if I can take the plunge at 34 soon to be 35 you can too. Seriously the longer time passes I really could care less what anyone thinks. I don't look my age anyway and can pass for my mid 20's so folks haven't really questioned me or given me the side eye.

Steph in Sac

#8 Post by Steph in Sac »

Good luck! I am 37 and have had ceramic lowers since Feb. My decision was strictly for appearance--the front four were crowding. My ortho was a referral from my dentist and he has never made me feel bad for my decision. Makin' teeth look good is his business! I figure since I am an adult paying for my own braces, I do not owe an explanation to anyone. BTW, my teeth are now perfectly straight and the braces are coming off by November. Easy, easy!

catgyrl

#9 Post by catgyrl »

AndrewM-

I'm 42 and my original reason for getting braced 5 months ago was strictly cosmetic, as far as I was concerned. I was sick of having "horse teeth" (very bad overjet due to thumbsucking as a child), and wanted them fixed. After my consultation, I found out that I also had bite issues and worn down teeth, so it's a blessing that I went in. You won't be sorry you did this! Good luck to you. :D

-Cathy

AndrewM

#10 Post by AndrewM »

Thanks to all for your kind words and encouragement. I had my initial consultation today, and while I still feel a little silly about the whole thing, I felt very comfortable with the orthodontist and the treatment coordinator. They acknowledged my self-consciousness as a good enough reason to pursue this and actually pointed out that there are more complicated issues with my bite than I was aware of. They offered both invisalign and regular braces, although they felt that braces would probably give superior, more predictable results (and may be quicker). I'll have to sit and digest the information for a while, and will probably get another opinion, but I'm inclined to go for it.

blackapple

#11 Post by blackapple »

Everyone seems to say this but it honestly is true. Once you get them on and see things changing you will wish you got them sooner. Almost a month in and I see small changes already. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

AndrewM

#12 Post by AndrewM »

Just a little followup. As a "reality check", I went for a second opinion from another orthodontist, and she said essentially the same thing. This all seems like a "no-brainer" to them. Overall, I felt like I "clicked" more with the first orthodontist, so I called him back to get the ball rolling. I'll be getting clear braces on the top and metal on the bottom (not sure of the technicalities, specific brand, etc). It still feels like a big step to take for what I acknowledge is a minor problem, but I guess I'm excited finally to get working on this. I've got a couple of dumb questions:

1. I do a fair amount of public speaking and was wondering whether I could expect some problems (short term) with articulation after getting everything put on. (i.e., how should I time my appointment with my speaking schedule?)

2. I drink coffee in the morning and I like red wine on occasion. I've read about ligatures becoming stained, and that seems like it would defeat the purpose of having clear braces. Do I need to cut these out?

Snowglobe32

#13 Post by Snowglobe32 »

AndrewM wrote:
1. I do a fair amount of public speaking and was wondering whether I could expect some problems (short term) with articulation after getting everything put on. (i.e., how should I time my appointment with my speaking schedule?)

2. I drink coffee in the morning and I like red wine on occasion. I've read about ligatures becoming stained, and that seems like it would defeat the purpose of having clear braces. Do I need to cut these out?
Congratulations Andrew!

1. The first week or so, I had trouble speaking, more of a lisp. I also went from dry mouth to too much saliva all the time. I recommend carrying Breathsaver mints, these help out a lot. Alost a year in and I still carry them everywhere.

2. This would depend on whether or not you have ligs. I also have upper ceramic and lower metals but they are both self-litigating. If your brackets are SL, this won't be a problem. When you drink, I recommend drinking out of a straw. There are times when it might look funny to use a straw, you can do without, just don't swish the drink over your teeth.

wearetheborg

#14 Post by wearetheborg »

I am a fan of metal brackets on top AND bottom. I think it shows character that a person is not afraid to reveal to the world that he/she is working on himself/herself; rather than hiding it (unsuccessfully)

Regardiing vanity; heck we are all vain. The question is whether its worth it; and that depends on person to person. If you are struggling to make rent; then its not worth to do minor correction. If you are a millionaire, then sure, its worth it. Another issue is how this will affect your teeth, gum recession etc.

What really grinds my gears is people who pretend they are not vain, but who really are.

AndrewM

#15 Post by AndrewM »

Thanks wearetheborg and Snowglobe (and everyone else who's posted). You've been wonderful and have definitely provided valuable insight that has helped me put all of this in perspective.

I agree with the last comment about vanity-we are all vain to some extent. I certainly can't pretend at this point that I'm not vain, although I guess I am one of those people who doesn't like to admit that about themselves, and that's the big reason this has been so hard. As for the color of the brackets, good for you for having the confidence to go with all-metal! I don't think there's any chance of hiding the fact that I'm having this done, but I simply prefer the way the clear brackets look. I actually decided on going with traditional braces over invisalign, cosmetic issues be damned, because the orthodontist felt that the treatment duration would be shorter, and because he felt more confident that he'd get an optimal result.