50 and getting braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Marsheila10

50 and getting braces

#1 Post by Marsheila10 »

I am 50 years old and going to be getting braces soon. I am alittle nervous and worried. It seems alittle strange to thinking about dealing with braces at my age. I am considering doing the colred braces because I figure being 50 I might as well enjoy wearing them. Any advice on being an adult and dealing with braces.

50+

Don't be nervous

#2 Post by 50+ »

I got mine 6 months ago at 53. You can do it!!
50+ ceramics top and bottom as of 2-16-10
Scheduled to have braces removed on 8-16-12!!

50+

colored vs ...

#3 Post by 50+ »

I thought I'd be ok with metal braces and now I'm glad my husband talked me into ceramic. I always have the clear bands on - so the only time I feel self conscious is when it's time for my adjustment and they've turned yellow. They show up more in photos! You don't realize how yellow they are until you see a photo of yourself - rather embarrassing!! :oops: If you're daring enough to go with colored braces go for it, but I'd suggest ceramic then choose colored bands to change it up a bit. Once they're on - they're on for awhile.

My best to you...age wasn't a factor for me...I think people can have braces at any age!
50+ ceramics top and bottom as of 2-16-10
Scheduled to have braces removed on 8-16-12!!

hal2me

#4 Post by hal2me »

Congratulations to you! What an awesome life changing decision you made! You won't be sorry. I look forward to reading about your progress.

Best of Luck to you!

One piece of advice: Mustard and White ligatures do not go well together!

tacoma braced

#5 Post by tacoma braced »

Welcome to the world of adults with Braces. I just turned 50 a few months ago.

It's hard to believe, but now that you are thinking of braces, you'll be amazed at the people you'll meet who either have braces, or had them as adults.

Just at my workplace there are about 20 braced adults that I know of- all ages and positions.

I'm on the down side of being braced( 5 days left and anxiously awaiting) and in all honesty- thrilled I did it, and can't believe time went so quickly.

I had the grey ligs the entire time, but now wish I was more bold with my lig colors.

Best of luck and take a ton of photos

There are some good threads about what you wished you knew before braces, best helpful hints etc..

blackapple

#6 Post by blackapple »

I am 34 and have learned to embrace the braces. Funny in the short time I have had them I have noticed several adults with them too. Went to a party last weekend and a woman around my age had them too. Walked up to her and was like how long is your sentence for and smiled?She laughed and we both started chatting with each other about it. I must admit it put me at ease.

I also noticed when I went to the ortho this week there were several adults already in the chair being treated aside from the usual children and teenagers.

mexicanlatino19

#7 Post by mexicanlatino19 »

you can use the speed braces, and it cost more. how many years you want to "enjoy" this braces? my dad had it done at 43 years old and only did it for a few years and how he's smiling all the time 50 at least you are not 51, now that would be old

Huon

#8 Post by Huon »

I was 70 when I had my braces put on and had no problems with people accepting them. I know it is easier for a man, as we don't show our teeth as much when smiling, but it was 12 months before someone whom I met almost every day, noticed that I had them, even though I went for all metal. After some months, I became bored with the process and changed from colourless ligs to dark blue, to cobalt and even to red and yellow and still no-one commented. this is now six yearsd in the past and I'm very happy that I took the plunge and did something about my crowded teeth. I can now clean them and I have a comfortable bite, which I hadn't ever had before. I still wear my retainers and at last, the teeth seeem to have settled in place, as I can miss a couple of nights without noticing any movement having taken place.
I hope things go as well for you as they have done for me.
Huon

lindesd

Good For You!

#9 Post by lindesd »

All I can say is good for you!!

They say that 40 is the new 30, so 50 must be the new 40, etc..., etc....

I think it is great that you are getting braces. You are NEVER too old to do something that is going to make you feel better about yourself. Since I got braces at 35, my mom who is 60, is considering it.

Oh , and for what it's worth.....There is a lady that goes to my otho and she is .......in HER"70s"!!!!!

GO FOR IT!!!!

emilio

#10 Post by emilio »

Well, I had nearly desisted myself because I thought why should I get braces at my age when half of my life (thinking positvely) had past?!

Then my (ex) significant other convinced me that I deserved a smile I could be proud of rather than hiding my smile behind lips. And you know what? she was right! at age 45 I got my (Damon) braces, still on them (21 months) but don't regret it! I wish it is over soon though.

So welcome to the club, everybody deserves a smile to be proud of regardless of their age!
Braces installed: Friday 21 Nov. 2008 12:00
Brace types: (fixed) Damon
Fraenum surgery: Saturday 03 Jan. 2009 16:00
Molar extractions: Planned June 2009
Orthognatic surgery: sometime in 2010

musiclady2340

55 and braced

#11 Post by musiclady2340 »

So glad you are in braces. We'll be glad we did it when it is done. Good luck.

LARRYBOY56

You can do it!

#12 Post by LARRYBOY56 »

I applaud your bravery. I am almost 2 months in at 54 years old.

Good Luck. We look forward to hearing more from you.
Larry,

bottlecap1990

#13 Post by bottlecap1990 »

Damn, you guys should be role models.
RPE. 6/5/2010
Full metal braces, 8/7/2010
Braces Removed, 6/12/2013

retainerjoe

#14 Post by retainerjoe »

:tingrin: :-)o a big congrats on getting started with your braces , i'm 52 an metal braces upper an lower , i do any color but gray , black .blue . red . green , powerchains are the same way , some times i'll get my orthodontist to put colors over the powerchains,so it gives me a mouthfull of color
http://community.webshots.com/user/head ... =community this link also has my video of me getting my braces

MegP60+

50 and getting braces

#15 Post by MegP60+ »

Good luck on your braces journey. I am 60 and four months into treatment - best thing I ever did. I am seeing a big improvement in my smile already. The initial four months have flown by and I have not had anything but positive comments from people. Good luck!