Which foods / drinks stain ligs the worst?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

catgyrl

#16 Post by catgyrl »

Okay, I ended up with Pearl. I love them to death!!! I think they make my teeth look whiter than they are (which is... not very white at all!) He doesn't have them in stock because he orders his ligs from another company, but I called the office and asked if he could please order some for me. Shoot, I'd even pay for my own supply if I had to!

-Cathy

KatieGee

#17 Post by KatieGee »

The pearls looks awesome, Cathy! I might try them next. I know what you mean about making your teeth look whiter. Funny thing is, when I had the clear ligs I felt that they made my teeth look yellow. When I had the light purples put in, they seemed to brighten up my teeth.

Do let us know how the pearls fare against staining.

catgyrl

#18 Post by catgyrl »

Thank you Katie. I will definitely let you know about the staining. Honestly want to try not drinking my Pepsi, but I don't think I can survive on water and sprite for a month. I need my caffeine. Haha

bracesrox

#19 Post by bracesrox »

I agree with bb2811 I love my white teflon wire ties for my clear radiance brackets. I also have a white archwire and yes after about 6 weeks I've had a few small chips. I'm on my 3rd wire now and its not chipped after 5 weeks. I have silver ligs in my lower brackets and letting my co-workers pick my next color.

I saw a picture of your brackets on another thread and your teeth look great!
Radiance clear uppers and metal lowers
1st of 3 consultations = 3/11/10
Records & Such = 4/21/10
Upper Brace Day = 5/11/10
Lower Brace Day = 7/01/10

roost22

Re:

#20 Post by roost22 »

catgyrl wrote:Thank you abaglady and roost22!

Orange juice? Oh my goodness... I love that, too. :( The ortho assistant automatically put the clear ligs on me because... in her words... "Well, since you changed to ceramic, I figured you wanted them to look inconspicuous." So, she didn't even give me a chance to tell her what I wanted. Doc did joke around and ask if I wanted to try the new color they got in... BRIGHT ORANGE!

Re: black ligs: I really don't think I can pull that one off. My teeth are not the whitest in the world, and I'm very fair-skinned, so I think that may clash too much with my natural coloring.

I'm trying to weigh which looks worse: Clear/pearl ligs that end up looking slightly yellow super close-up, or colored ligs that fade and look dingy and nasty, even from afar. Hmmm.... decisions, decisions...

Thanks for the tip, roost22! I shall go look up meryaten's posts to see how her teeth looked. Good luck tomorrow!!! Please post "naked" pics! (Haha - that didn't sound right...)

-Cathy
Cathy, I havent been around in a long while, did you ever try black ligs?
lower metal brackets 12/3/2008, upper red,white and blue system12/29/08 , tx 12-16 months Image

catgyrl

Re: Which foods / drinks stain ligs the worst?

#21 Post by catgyrl »

Hey roost22!

I forgot I even posted on this thread. No, I've never gotten up the courage to try black. The darkest I've had is a nice dark blue (I think it's called Mediterranean Blue). I (hopefully) only have 2 months left, so I'm just playing it safe. Right now I have lavendar, and they haven't stained at all over the past 4 weeks.

roost22

#22 Post by roost22 »

Sounds like you only have two more chances to try black.
lower metal brackets 12/3/2008, upper red,white and blue system12/29/08 , tx 12-16 months Image

nifer237

#23 Post by nifer237 »

For me, spaghetti sauce is the worst. I should have drank more stuff from a straw, but I didn't and the soda was not as bad as the sauce. Doritos and orange stuff obviously don't do well either.

catgyrl

#24 Post by catgyrl »

roost22 wrote:Sounds like you only have two more chances to try black.
Nope... not gonna happen. :D Clear from now until the end.

catgyrl

#25 Post by catgyrl »

nifer237 wrote:For me, spaghetti sauce is the worst. I should have drank more stuff from a straw, but I didn't and the soda was not as bad as the sauce. Doritos and orange stuff obviously don't do well either.
That's my worst, too. I'm going in tomorrow for new ligs, so I've been eating all my spaghetti and soda this past week. Going in for clear ligs from now until I'm debraced (hopefully in September). Taco bell soft tacos were also horrible. Whatever they have in the seasoning for the meat turned my ligs bright yellow. Ortho laughed when he saw them. Lord, those were the worst!

Lauralee

#26 Post by Lauralee »

lipton chicken noodle soup.. YELLOW ligs right away.

roost22

#27 Post by roost22 »

Black ligs WILL NOT stain. No matter what you eat or drink.

Jerseygirl

Re:

#28 Post by Jerseygirl »

catgyrl wrote:Okay, I ended up with Pearl. I love them to death!!! I think they make my teeth look whiter than they are (which is... not very white at all!) He doesn't have them in stock because he orders his ligs from another company, but I called the office and asked if he could please order some for me. Shoot, I'd even pay for my own supply if I had to!

-Cathy
Hi Cathy - so how did you find the pearl ligatures? I'd imagine they got discolored fast? They look great, but that is also because you have super white teeth. My teeth are slightly yellow in hue - so I think the pearls would stand out more rather then blend in. I've been using a tooth colored ligature that is working out well for me.

Great to hear you are nearing the end! Happy for you! :)

This is me - you can see the color of my teeth, definitely not as white as yours:

Ceramic uppers and metal lowers
Estimated treatment time: 12-14 months

catgyrl

#29 Post by catgyrl »

Hi Jerseygirl!

The Pearls stained HORRIBLY! It wasn't just a dull yellow-ish tinge... it was GLOWING yellow! Never used those again. I know exactly which ligs you're using, and I love them. They're called "Obscure" at my orthodontist's office, and I may be getting them again this afternoon. My teeth are NOT white at all. That's just a really excellent flash from my camera. LOL! Mine are definitely more off-white, with tinges of yellow nearer the gums. Really can't wait to get them whitened after these babies come off!

Jerseygirl

#30 Post by Jerseygirl »

Hi Cathy - thanks very much for the response! Good to know about the pearls! Good luck with your ligature change - and the teeth whitening! Wish I could do that but I have really sensitive teeth. Not the front ones but the sides and I don't think they can bleach just your front teeth - otherwise I would. :)

Ceramic uppers and metal lowers
Estimated treatment time: 12-14 months