How much did your face shape change?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Flamingo

How much did your face shape change?

#1 Post by Flamingo »

Hi
I've been for one Orthodontist consultation and really wasn't happy with him. So, tomorrow I've got another appointment with a different Orthodontist (this one has be recommended by 2 people - so fingers crossed!)
I'm hoping for ceramics top & bottom.
Anyway, i was just wondering how much of an effect your braces have had on your facial structure?
This is the thing that i'm most worried about but obviously i'll talk it through tomorrow.
It would be great to hear of your own personal experiences ;)
Thanks in advance

21braces

#2 Post by 21braces »

My friend just had her braces taken off. She had to get a few teeth taken out before she got braces (not sure how many) but at the moment it looks like her lips have sunken into her face. My ortho mentioned something about that, and how he was going to avoid that situation by not extracting any teeth.

bb2811

#3 Post by bb2811 »

I didn't have any teeth extracted, but in the ten weeks of having braces I have noticed some changes...one side of my face seems a bit sunken - my teeth on that side have rotated inwards a bit - I assume it will even up with time.

My face seems generally just a bit longer!

sunsmile

#4 Post by sunsmile »

I got 4 teeth extracted one year ago to correct my overbite problem. My friends and colleagues told me that my face looks much thinner. To me, it's good as I had a very round face before.

drrick

#5 Post by drrick »

The most coomon facial change you will see is from frowning in your before picture to smiling in your after picture :)
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

TraceA

#6 Post by TraceA »

My face has definitely changed shape nearly 3 months into wearing braces. It looks thinner & my cheekbones are more defined (which is nice) but with clear Damon braces at the top it looks like I've got a bit of a fish pout going on at the moment (sure that will go when they are removed). It's hard to tell whether the thinner face is down to the movement of my teeth or the fact that I'm not snacking so much because I can't be bothered to keep going to brush my teeth.

Sidney

#7 Post by Sidney »

Does anyone have any idea how exactly braces are making faces thinner?

footpounds

#8 Post by footpounds »

I personally think it's due to less eating and/or a better diet. At least that's the case for me!

Snowglobe32

#9 Post by Snowglobe32 »

drrick wrote:The most coomon facial change you will see is from frowning in your before picture to smiling in your after picture :)
I love this comment, soooo true!

My face got smaller because I lost 20lbs. I did not have extractions.

itsabouttime22

#10 Post by itsabouttime22 »

My face is thinner too (I had 2 extractions on the bottom). I miss my full face- but hopefully the straight teeth at the end of this will make up for this.

Lioness

#11 Post by Lioness »

My face definitely got thinner for awhile. No one can tell me different. One cheek is a bit more profound than the another too. It was bad and a big source of stress for me.

It is much better although it is not as full as it was before. I miss my fuller face, but what can you do? :wink: I'm gonna have a beautiful smile soon :D
Uppers: August 13th, 2009 (no spacers)
Lowers: October 13th, 2009 (following one extraction October 9th, 2009) with elastics
Sentence:18-24 months
Hoping for an early release (good behavior)

Sidney

#12 Post by Sidney »

Lioness wrote:My face definitely got thinner for awhile. No one can tell me different. One cheek is a bit more profound than the another too. It was bad and a big source of stress for me.

It is much better although it is not as full as it was before. I miss my fuller face, but what can you do? :wink: I'm gonna have a beautiful smile soon :D
Did you have any extractions?

Other folks who's faces have thinned, did you have extractions?

Donna

#13 Post by Donna »

I don't know if this has anything to do with braces, but one side of my face has thinned out quite a bit. Even my ortho noticed - asked if I lost weight. I haven't had any extractions, so I'm not sure why this has happened. Just getting old, maybe??

fosterp

#14 Post by fosterp »

One thing that you might attribute to the face "thinning" is it you had a curve of spree prior to treatment. The leveling of this curve can extrude your posterior teeth, which will in turn increase your facial height. This increase in facial height, along with the downward rotation of the mandible could cause your cheeks to sink in a little bit.

To simulate the effect look at yourself in the mirror with your mouth closed and pay attention to the way your cheeks react when you slowly open your mouth. Extrusion can imitate this movement.

Takako

#15 Post by Takako »

I had 4 teeth extracted, premolars, and I don't think my face has changed shape at all.