How often do you get a professional clean with braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BraceFace2o1o

How often do you get a professional clean with braces?

#1 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

I thought I would start a new thread, rather than changing the topic in another...

So how often do you get a professional clean with braces? and also, how often did you get a professional clean prior to braces?

I know UGHBRACES reply below wasn't for me (from another thread), but just wanted to ask...
UGHBRACES wrote:
You must be British. :P
:lol: :GapToothed:
UGHBRACES wrote:A professional cleaning is typically done by a dental hygienist or a dentist may do it as well. They use scalers and polishers and maybe a couple other instruments to remove all plaque build up. It is highly recommended to have this done every 6 months to maintain healthy teeth and gums. And its even more important to have it done while in braces with all those extra nooks and crannies for the plaque to build up around.
Oh dear, whenever my dentist has 'cleaned' my teeth (after me asking him) he only uses one tool, and mostly behind the front lower teeth. I've always thought it wasn't a 'thorough' clean because it would only take about a minute or two :shock: .

I always feel like I am being picky when I have to ASK for this service, I feel like he should be doing it anyway. Not sure how I am going to get on when I have braces then :?

What is the clean the Ortho does just before fitting the braces? Is that simply cleaning the surface of the tooth where the bracket will be applied? or a 'professional clean' to make sure all is clean before hand?

I just went on the NHS website to see about the NHS dental prices and what's included etc... here is a quote:
Band 1: £16.50. This charge includes an examination, diagnosis and preventive advice. If necessary, it also includes X-rays, scale and polish and planning for further treatment
If necessary? So it isn't classed as a need at each check up? Ooo er. I wonder how much it can cost for a professional clean at a private dentist in the UK.
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

felicia

#2 Post by felicia »

I get my teeth cleaned by a professional every 6 months, I did just the same before braces. It usually lasts 45 minutes and he uses more than one tool to scrape and polish my teeth.

spinme

#3 Post by spinme »

Before braces I saw the hygienist for a clean every 6 months. This takes about 1/2 hour.
Since having braces fitted the hygienist recommends I see her every 3 months. I have dental insurance which covers dental work and hygienist visits so don't have any additional costs to pay for this. They would normally charge around £60.

TrolleyDolly

#4 Post by TrolleyDolly »

Hi Crystal, up until recently I was like you, I see my dentist as a NHS patient (although my dentist does also see private patients too) and always had a clean and polish from said dentist. However a few months ago my dentist employed a hygienist. My dentist suggested I saw the hygienist as a seperate treatment (at an extra cost of £25 I might add!) The difference in the standard of clean was very different with the hygienist spending a good 30 mins on cleaning and scaling my teeth with several different tools and also showing me areas where perhaps I hadn't been cleaning as thoroughly as I should.

I read your story and see that we are both at the consultation stage. When I asked the last ortho I went to see about caring for my teeth once braced. I was told that I would still have to see my usual dentist/hygienist for cleaning and check ups and the ortho recommended cleaning at least every 6 months.

Hope this info helps you and good luck with your next consultation!

BraceFace2o1o

#5 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

spinme wrote:Before braces I saw the hygienist for a clean every 6 months. This takes about 1/2 hour.
Since having braces fitted the hygienist recommends I see her every 3 months. I have dental insurance which covers dental work and hygienist visits so don't have any additional costs to pay for this. They would normally charge around £60.
Maybe it's an NHS thing then. Unfortunately I cannot afford private dental prices... so no professional cleanings for me! :shock:

BraceFace2o1o

#6 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

TrolleyDolly wrote:Hi Crystal, up until recently I was like you, I see my dentist as a NHS patient (although my dentist does also see private patients too) and always had a clean and polish from said dentist. However a few months ago my dentist employed a hygienist. My dentist suggested I saw the hygienist as a seperate treatment (at an extra cost of £25 I might add!) The difference in the standard of clean was very different with the hygienist spending a good 30 mins on cleaning and scaling my teeth with several different tools and also showing me areas where perhaps I hadn't been cleaning as thoroughly as I should.

I read your story and see that we are both at the consultation stage. When I asked the last ortho I went to see about caring for my teeth once braced. I was told that I would still have to see my usual dentist/hygienist for cleaning and check ups and the ortho recommended cleaning at least every 6 months.

Hope this info helps you and good luck with your next consultation!
Thank you TrolleyDolly for the info!

I have never seen a hygienist before, only my dentist :oops:

I will speak to my dentist at my next appointment (September) and ask about a professional clean with a hygienist, especially if I will be getting a brace... see what he says.

I kinda feel bad that I have never had a GOOD clean :shock:

UGHBRACES

#7 Post by UGHBRACES »

I think you should see a hygienist twice a year. A person above said they pay £25, so its really not that much money and is a wise investment for sure~

BraceFace2o1o

#8 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

UGHBRACES wrote:I think you should see a hygienist twice a year. A person above said they pay £25, so its really not that much money and is a wise investment for sure~
I agree, if I was charged around £25 then I wouldn't mind at all. £60 per time, not so sure... maybe twice a year, but no more. Bills have to be paid, and unfortunately my rent has to come first! I think that's why alot of people are walking around with bad teeth, they simply can't afford dental treatment after all their bills have been paid. I only work part time (been looking for full time, just can't get it) and just can't afford it at the end of the week my money is spoken for. I managed to save up half of the cost of braces, and that's the only reason I am going ahead with it.

I'm just wondering how I go about seeing a hygienist if my dentists practic doesn't have one. Can I simply visit a private practice and get cleanings there, or do I have to become a patient. Maybe my dentist will be able to suggest a local one. I will also ask the Ortho at my next consultation, as it says on their website they have a dental hygienist... if I can pay them to do my cleanings then I will do that.

VA5

#9 Post by VA5 »

Personally I don't think twice a year is necessary. I think twice a year is nice for the dentist/hygienist's pocketbook.. but imo once a year is fine if you take good care of your teeth in between. JMO! :)

BraceFace2o1o

#10 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

VA5 wrote:Personally I don't think twice a year is necessary. I think twice a year is nice for the dentist/hygienist's pocketbook.. but imo once a year is fine if you take good care of your teeth in between. JMO! :)
Hi VA5, even if someone has braces?

I am interested in each persons opinion on this, as I feel terrible that I've never had it done! I need a kick up the butt.

VA5

#11 Post by VA5 »

Chrystal wrote:
VA5 wrote:Personally I don't think twice a year is necessary. I think twice a year is nice for the dentist/hygienist's pocketbook.. but imo once a year is fine if you take good care of your teeth in between. JMO! :)
Hi VA5, even if someone has braces?

I am interested in each persons opinion on this, as I feel terrible that I've never had it done! I need a kick up the butt.
Well, I went for 1 1/2 years before getting a clean, with my braces on. I regret waiting THAT long but to be honest, it was the easiest cleaningn I've had in a long time, and I think it's b/c I've been taking much better care of my teeth while being braced, than I was before. So, if money is the issue, I wouldn't be too sad that you can only get it once a year.. just take good care of your teeth in between :)

TrolleyDolly

#12 Post by TrolleyDolly »

I'm positive there has to be a way to sort this for you. If, as you say, the orthodontist has a hygienist then I'm sure you'll be able to arrange for cleanings there. I'd also speak to your own dentist too and see what extra cleaning they can provide. It's got to be in their interest too and they must understand the importance of oral hygiene with braces and they won't want you coming in with cavaties etc.

Margie

#13 Post by Margie »

Now that I have braces I see my hygenist every 4 months. Prior to braces I tried to go every 6 months, but I have to admit sometimes there would be more time between appointments.

Thankfully at my current job (I've been here for over 2 years) we have really good dental care so I typically don't pay more than $10 for a cleaning by the hygenist.

I want to smile!

#14 Post by I want to smile! »

I think 6 months is recommended, but I go every 3 months because I hate it so much. I know that sounds weird, but I figure that if I go more frequently it'll take less time each visit. Before braces I left it for years and the process was a much longer, more painful affair than it is these days, even though I've never had a filling and my teeth seemed reasonably clean beforehand. I was very proud last time to have just some staining removed and not even the hint of a bleeding gum! I guess it depends how fussy you want to be, but even with braces I like the rest of my teeth to be bright (just can't give up the tea and red wine!) even though it costs £50 a time. And I'm scared not to go in case I have two years of braces, double surgery, and then lose my teeth because they've rotted out.

TraceA

#15 Post by TraceA »

I'm coming up for 47 & I've never seen a hygenist & my dentist has never suggested it :oops: My dentist usually cleans my teeth at my 6 monthly checkup but now I've got my braces I'm going to ask about a proper clean with the hygenist at my next checkup. I have however bought a waterpik (I think it was about £45 from Boots) that I use at least once a day & it's made such a difference. My teeth feel just as clean as when my dentist has done his quick clean. I am definitely taking much greater care when cleaning my teeth now I've got a brace & I'm hoping I'll continue to do so once the whole business is over & I've had them whitened & had an implant. Hopefully they'll last me until a ripe old age (I'll be all wrinkled & saggy but at least my teeth will be lovely)