How long for braces to stop....?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sadpanda

How long for braces to stop....?

#1 Post by sadpanda »

How long does it take for your bottom braces to stop making those sore imprints all over the inside of your lip and cheeks? I've used wax and silicone, but I clench a lot, and I can see and feel the bracket marks on the inside that sometimes hurt. I feel like I've had the braces enough weeks that I'd be used to them by now, but it's like, as soon as one side heals, another hook on the other side starts bothering me. So, I'm just wondering.

UGHBRACES

#2 Post by UGHBRACES »

Its different for everybody, but I had canker sores on and off for the first year or so. I haven't had any for the past year though!

itsabouttime22

#3 Post by itsabouttime22 »

Unfortunately you may have random brackets digging into your mouth off and on throughout the whole treatment. I know I have so far. As your teeth move, so are the brackets so they may dig into different parts of your lips. I try to keep wax on the spot as much as I can throughout the day, and rinse with warm water and salt. Mine have all gone away in about 3 days time.

starzz

#4 Post by starzz »

I'm a clencher too. Sorry to bring bad news, but one spot on my lower incisors kept getting ulcers off and on throughout treatment. It took about a week to heal after the braces were finally off.
Braced for 2 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 5 days (the 2nd time ‘round)
Hawley on top, Essix on bottom

Audra

#5 Post by Audra »

I had those imprints on my bottom lip for the entire duration of my braces - two years.

Vulcan

#6 Post by Vulcan »

I must be a lucky one.. I have never had any issues with the metal rubbing. I have never even used the abundance of wax they have given me. I was dreading it, but never had any problems.

macgirl4ever

#7 Post by macgirl4ever »

I've accepted canker sores, bracket impressions, and (worse of all) elastic etchings as part of my natural mouth-scape. It isn't as bothersome as it once was, bit it's all still in there.
Braced: 20 months March 2009-November 2010

bottlecap1990

#8 Post by bottlecap1990 »

about 5-6 days. I never wear wax anymore.

sadpanda

thanks

#9 Post by sadpanda »

Thanks for the suggestions! I tend to have bad luck in life, so I'll probably have the imprints and sores the whole time I'm in braces. I guess I just have to get used to it. The silicone stuff works better than wax, althought it's more expensive. I guess I'll have to stock up. I envy the people who only dealt with this problem for a week or less. Thanks again! Any other comments are welcome. :)

Audra

#10 Post by Audra »

I guess I should re-iterate by saying that while I had imprints - I didn't have sores the whole time. I would put on wax if it got sore, but mostly I just got used to the imprint of the brackets.

footpounds

#11 Post by footpounds »

sadpanda,

You can't have THAT much bad luck in your life. Afterall, you do have braces! If you truly had bad luck, you wouldn't have braces and you would go through life with less than perfect teeth!

TigerLily

#12 Post by TigerLily »

Mouthwash with hydrogen peroxide really worked for me. I know some people make their own but I just bought the colgate stuff. I could never get on with wax so the mouthwash was very helpful!