Crossbite needing surgery to fix

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Fathom

Crossbite needing surgery to fix

#1 Post by Fathom »

So this is something that's been bugging me for a while, and I've been going back and forth between saying I should do it and I shouldn't do it for months now. I'm 21 years old, 22 in december. I went to see an orthodontist towards the beginning of the year, I guess out of boredom since I was unemployed. She told me I have a crossbite, and she thinks it's serious, and it needs surgery to fix. I never noticed it before, but I'm pretty self conscious and now that I know it's there I can't stop fidgeting with my mouth over it. I have no TMJ, no pain, no clicking, really no problems whatsoever, but ever since I was told about it the way my bite fits together feels uncomfortable to me and there is a relatively decent bit of cosmetic improvement that could be achieved through fixing it, though I guess that's up in the air.

Anyway, I guess I just want to see what you guys think, based on these pictures. Does this really warrant going through with $6k and a year or more in braces, plus surgery and who knows how long with a retainer? Could I do more damage than good? I've heard about people who lose feeling in their gums, and that right there seems to throw out my idea of getting a more comfortable bite out the window. Here's pictures:

Fathom

#2 Post by Fathom »

whoops, wrong link for the right side picture, go here instead:

bbsadmin

#3 Post by bbsadmin »

Please post photos, not links to photos. Recently members have had problems getting viruses by clicking on links to photobucket and imageshack. Thanks for understanding.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Fathom

#4 Post by Fathom »

Sorry about that.

Image[/img]

planetpluto

#5 Post by planetpluto »

yeah it does look out of alignment big time. you might not have pain now but you will later. i'd go for it. if you don't feel it's worth the money or don't HAVE the money.. wait. but you will have pain later. better to prevent than to try to fix, IMO.

vicco1

#6 Post by vicco1 »

Im 19 and my situation almost sounds identical to yours. I have moderate crossbite. Pretty bad but not as severe as yours by the look of it. I went to see 3 orthos and 2 told me I should have surgery. The last ortho I saw uses suresile which the others didnt and he believes he can achieve enough expansion for a healthy bite and with the extra control suresmile gives will allow him to do so. If I were you I would get a few opinions from different orthos. Also if theres one that uses suresmile you should see them too. Its costing me about $1000 more but Im avoiding surgery and my time in braces from 24 months to 15-18 months.

DrJasonKTam

#7 Post by DrJasonKTam »

I don't disagree that it is a good idea to seek multiple opinions, but be cautious at reports that other orthodontists have found an alternative solution, yet not shown a final result yet.

Your lower jaw is definitely off to one side and your upper midline appears on. Even with expansion of the upper jaw, your lower jaw would still be off to that side if the length of one side of your mandible is larger than the other.

I personally try to avoid surgery for patients whenever possible, but from your comments, concerns, and a cursory look at your photos, it doesn't look like you would have a satisfactory result without combined ortho/surg.

There are definite risks involved and you can learn more about those from your orthodontist and oral surgeon. Ultimately, you'll have to decide if the benefits outweigh the risks. Good luck!
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

Fathom

#8 Post by Fathom »

So you don't think it's worth it to even do anything about it? Like the crossbite is so bad it's good?

For what it's worth, no one I've met has ever noticed there's anything wrong with my jaw, and my girlfriend never knew until I made the expression I did in the photos (showing my teeth biting down together) which I never do in person.

Fathom

#9 Post by Fathom »

Nevermind, kind of misread your post the first time. I don't really care about the surgery as long as the doctor says there won't be any horrible after effects like loss of feeling or difficulty speaking.

gracey82

#10 Post by gracey82 »

I have crossbite too but I correct it without surgery or extract of teeth.
I wasnt aware of my crossbite till i wear braces to correct overjetting teeth.
Like you i dont have any TMJ, pain, headche or whatsoever due to the crossbite. But I do believe in a long run, one side of my teeth will wear off sooner than the other because I have always been using one side of my teeth to bite. Now it's corrected, I can feel how its like to able to chew with both side of my teeth.