normal for sore teeth when flossing?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

believer1964

normal for sore teeth when flossing?

#1 Post by believer1964 »

Just got braced yesterday and happy about it.

Thoroughout all my teeth when I slip the floss in between the teeth it is really sore and when you take the floss out you can really feel the soreness It goes away pretty soon after but flossing right now kinda painful.

Is that normal? Does the soreness go away after a few days ? I have finally gotten the hang off flossing with brace floss.

bottlecap1990

Re: normal for sore teeth when flossing?

#2 Post by bottlecap1990 »

believer1964 wrote:Just got braced yesterday and happy about it.

Thoroughout all my teeth when I slip the floss in between the teeth it is really sore and when you take the floss out you can really feel the soreness It goes away pretty soon after but flossing right now kinda painful.

Is that normal? Does the soreness go away after a few days ? I have finally gotten the hang off flossing with brace floss.
Yes this is absolutely normal. I just got my braces 5 days ago and experienced the SAME exact thing you said for the first few days. Take some ibuprofen to alleviate the pain.

The soreness will gradually decrease. I feel little to no pain now when flossing

DrBlur

#3 Post by DrBlur »

Not only normal after just getting braces, it's normal after each adjustment, too
32 years old, total time in braces=30 months

-Braces and palate expander on 4/15/10
-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

hal2me

#4 Post by hal2me »

Yes, this is very normal. As a previous poster stated, it will happen with each adjustment. Congratulations on getting braced!!!

blackapple

#5 Post by blackapple »

Glad to know it's normal. I am on day 3 of braces and my teeth were are very sore to floss. It goes away though shortly after. I just grin and bear it the best I can.

llehsal

#6 Post by llehsal »

Very very normal...

Shelby's Braces Story - http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=35311