Help! Will braces make me look like I do in a mouthguard?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

believer1964

Help! Will braces make me look like I do in a mouthguard?

#1 Post by believer1964 »

I have to wear a mouthguard at night, which makes me look really weird and I cant even talk right at all. (lips and chin area really distorted)

Are braces going to do the same thing to me as far as looks and not allow me to talk right?

haywire

#2 Post by haywire »

No.
it could actually make you more attractive (bigger lips) :D

also, you won't have any problems talking
MY STORY
Braces on 23/07/2009
Braces off 10/12/2010

part time essix hater.

TumbleDryLow

#3 Post by TumbleDryLow »

It will not be like your mouth guard. Some people experience slightly fuller lips. Some don't. I didn't experience this at all. Same with talking. Some people have issues; others don't. Any issues you may have will be minor and will be sorted out in a few days as you get used to your braces.

The best thing to know about braces is that the anticipation is going to be much worse then the actual event and your life afterwards. You can worry yourself sick with the what-if's. Relax. Get them on, get used to them, and in a few weeks---your life with braces will be the new normal.

believer1964

My mouthguard makes me look like a boxer or football player.

#4 Post by believer1964 »

The mouthguard i wear at night doesnt allow me to talk audibly

I care about my appearance dont want to look strange like my mouthguard makes me look (like the boxers and football SPAMMERS LIKE ME on tv)

I keep thinking my braces will effect me that way.

SDFD TSchott

#5 Post by SDFD TSchott »

... That's why. You keep thinking, the more you think the longer its going to bother you. Braces don't nearly have the same effect/appearance as a mouthguard does.

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

alimommy1

#6 Post by alimommy1 »

The braces should not affect you like a mouthguard - unless you also have things such as an expander, a bite plate, a lip bumper, etc WITH your braces. Even so, braces do not take up as much space as a mouthguard does, so it shouldn't distort your lips, chin, or cheeks.

I will say that when you first get them, they LOOK small but FEEL huge, but after a couple weeks like Tumble said, after-braces quickly becomes 'the new normal'.

Even appliances are quick to get used to, as long as you wear them as much to 24/7 or as prescribed (sometimes it's just at night, or 12 hours).

itsabouttime22

#7 Post by itsabouttime22 »

I have to say, braces did change my appearance somewhat at first. I have a very small mouth, so the braces are very big- especially the ceramic uppers. I had a very noticeable fuller upper lip. Now that my "fangs" have come down a bit my lip is not as full. But even if your mouth looks different- trust me after a few weeks you'll get used to it. Despite my different appearance, I am still glad I decided to go through with braces- and I'm sure you will be too.

GeenBug

#8 Post by GeenBug »

It may make your mouth protrude a little. After two weeks or so it shouldn't protrude as much. Mine still does a little, i hate it :) , but that's just me. It has also affected my speech, especially on the phone, people have been having a hard time hearing me since i got them. I hate that too. But now it's not so bad. Maybe i'm finally getting used to talking with them, almost, but i still hate the way i talk with them. But everyone's experience's different. You may not experience any of these at all. I'm still happy i got them. Wouldn't change that for the world.

Braced: June 24, 2010.

equaeternal

#9 Post by equaeternal »

I don't think that they effected my lips or face at all. They did feel HUGE like other's have said. That does go away after a bit.