Do you all get your teeth cleaned during your braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

socksy

#16 Post by socksy »

I go to my hygienist every 4 months since having braces on. She works around the brackets and wires easily. The only thing different is I refuse to let her floss at the end - she uses a threader and it takes way too long. I floss every night anyway so it's a waste of (a lot) of time.

clear Radiance brackets top and bottom

jackjack

#17 Post by jackjack »

I get cleanings every 4 months. At the beginning of treatment I held off on the cleanings and my teeth were getting too stained and build up. Getting cleanings makes such a difference! What's most important is that they clean under your gums and between teeth so brackets and wires aren't really an issue.

equaeternal

#18 Post by equaeternal »

My ortho said every 6 months you should have your teeth cleaned and I don't think the wire has to come out...at least my otho and my dentist haven't mentioned this to me

sapphirerose924

#19 Post by sapphirerose924 »

My orthodontist and dentist share an office (the joys of a small town; the ortho is only in there one or two days a week), so the ortho took out the wires and the cleaning proceeded with the dentist doing her checked. Then the ortho put back in the wires and voila.

Definitely get your teeth cleaned. It would be a shame to get them straightened only to find that they are filled with cavitites.

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#20 Post by blindboarder2008 »

when I had my braces, i was going in about every 3 to 4 months for a checkup and a cleaning just to make sure i wouldn't get cavities or anything like that. I'm still doing that now even though the braces are off and I have the wired bonded retainers cause sometimes its hard to clean under the wired retainers. Definetly get a cleaning done or 2. The last thing you will want to deal with is cavities and bacteria that secretly can get out of hand. When I had my cleanings done i had my arch wires on still, although I've heard of a few people here that they got their wires taken off and put back on the same day but it just depends on the dentist. So ask them what they perfer. Cleanings didn't take to long. I would say the first cleaning was the longest because they did a big cleaning to make sure everything was sparkly clean and they tried a few different methods.
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

catgyrl

#21 Post by catgyrl »

I just have to chime in with a funny: Every time I see this thread listed on the Index page, I always (at first) think it says, "Do you get ALL your teeth cleaned..." I was tempted to write "Nah - just the dirty ones!"

fosterp

#22 Post by fosterp »

I schedule my ortho appts same day as cleanings. I go to the ortho first, have them take the wires out really quick, go to my dentist office and get the cleaning, then I go back to ortho later in the afternoon to get new wires in.

Only done it once so far, and the last cleaning the hygenist was pretty unhappy with the condition of my teeth. It had only been four months since braces, 6 months since last cleaning - but i had a huge brown stain line that went across all my teeth from where the archwire was. Probably a combination of my lack of brushing enough and my excessive coffee drinking. In fact the backs of my lower incisors were so stained I thought the teeth were dying.