Do you think its worth...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

avy

Do you think its worth...

#1 Post by avy »

...me flying from Brisbane QLD to Melbourne VIC (approx. 2 hour flight) for my last 4 or so appointments rather than finding a new ortho? I am moving in about 2 months and I have approx 8 months to go with my braces. I have In-ovation C (damon) braces and my adjustments are around every 7 - 9 weeks which roughly works out to 4 more adjustments. The flights would cost anywhere from $120 to $250 return so worst case scenario thats like $1000. My ortho thinks me flying down is a good idea because she knows that when new clients are taken on the new ortho always like to change things and extend the treatment, and of course it costs more. How much more I dont know. Does it seem silly to do this, or a smart way to go?

felicia

#2 Post by felicia »

If your ortho is sure that you only have 4 appt left in your treatment, you should just fly, because you will spend more than 1000$ if you switch orthos.

TumbleDryLow

#3 Post by TumbleDryLow »

First of all you can only assume at this point that you have 8 more months of treatment. Often treatment times go longer. When you move, what will you do if an emergency comes up? How much will is cost to go to a local orthodontist for an emergency appointment? I think you should try and find out the exact cost of switching orthos. Only then can you do a real cost/benefit analysis. In the analysis you should also consider the cost of your time. It's not just a two hour flight, but travel time to and from the airports, the cost of renting a car or taking public transit, time away from home, stress of travel, etc.

sisi

#4 Post by sisi »

Hi Avy, I'm sure your ortho knows best but I have to say that I have the same brackets as you and I am finishing my treatment next week. In the last 2 months I have seen my ortho for finishing touches/tweaking etc pretty much every fortnight (if not every week).

There are times when I call to make an appointment with my ortho just to talk about changes in my teeth - I could not cope with having to factor in the cost/inconvenience of a flight everytime I wanted to see her.

If it were me and I knew I had at least 8 months left of treatment I would change ortho so that it wouldn't cost me every time I wanted to see him/her.
Having said all that maybe I am just a high maintenance client!

avy

#5 Post by avy »

Thanks for your replies. I didnt really think about the final stages of treatment where I may need to come in more often than once every 2 months. I will talk to her at my next appointment next week and discuss my options and what she feels would be the most logical way to go about this. Its definitely a full day of travelling after getting to the airport, then from the airport to the ortho and back again. And after hearing alot of stories where treatments go over their estimated times - I know that my treatment probably wont be any different. If only I had gotten surgery and braces 8 months earlier :roll:

There was going to be one perk of travelling down to Melbourne which was going to my hairdresser :D I know most women out there will agree how hard it is to find a great one which doesnt charge a fortune! Sounds silly but man they do a good job. Im gonna miss them :cry:

Jewles

#6 Post by Jewles »

I have been flying from Melbourne to Perth for ortho appts since january! hopefully I only have to make the trip a couple more times. It is good to catch up with friends and family regularly and I try and organise appts around friends birthdays/weddings etc. :)
I think its worth it, changing orthos is expensive and can delay treatment which I didnt want!

Jewles

#7 Post by Jewles »

And who is your hairdresser? I am desperate for a good one in Melbourne :P