am I supposed to remove my retainers while drinking soda?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

fff

am I supposed to remove my retainers while drinking soda?

#1 Post by fff »

if I drink soda, coffee, anything that is not water, am I supposed to remove my retainers?

sillyface

#2 Post by sillyface »

Just looking in the Naked Tooth forum you'll find several posts on this topic. It seems some orthos say that it's fine to drink with the retainers in while others strongly discourage it. When in doubt, ask your ortho, after all, they've gotten you this far in your treatment!

Personally, I wouldn't want the sugar or dark liquid against my teeth for so long but I'd imagine if you don't want to take them out you could rinse with water after your other drinks?

ReneG

#3 Post by ReneG »

You CAN but should you? The temperature, colour, content of your drink can affect your retainers.

I've been limiting myself to room temperature water when I have my braces on. Anything more and I'll remove my retainers.

A replacement pair will cost me SGD$500 (about USD360) so I want these to last as long as possible!
My 2 year diet plan in progress: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=243462

10 Mar 2008: Braced - upper and lower
12 Jan 2010: BSSO (Advancement)
?? Jun 2010: 6th post-op appointment
30 Jun 2010: 6th post-op ortho appointment - debanding!!! :D
07 Jul 2010: Retainer day!

alimommy1

#4 Post by alimommy1 »

My ortho's office said it was fine but I have a hawley, not an essix. I can't imagine drinking anything with an essix in...

alimommy1

#5 Post by alimommy1 »

...and I drink cold things but NOT hot, so no coffee, no tea, no soup. Don't want to warp it.

ReneG

#6 Post by ReneG »

Duh. I meant to say "I've been limiting myself to room temperature water when I have my *retainers* on."

Also forgot to add that I have hawleys - acrylic and wires (with solder). Not sure what exactly essix retainers are made of.

Only 3.5 weeks more of 23/7 wear *grits teeth and bears it*
My 2 year diet plan in progress: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=243462

10 Mar 2008: Braced - upper and lower
12 Jan 2010: BSSO (Advancement)
?? Jun 2010: 6th post-op appointment
30 Jun 2010: 6th post-op ortho appointment - debanding!!! :D
07 Jul 2010: Retainer day!

alimommy1

#7 Post by alimommy1 »

Essix are plastic, they almost look like invisalign trays. I have metal solder on my hawley too, by the c-clasps on it. I haven't seemed to have any problems caused by drinking anything with it, no stains or other ....