Elastic Experience

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

caitlin1120

Elastic Experience

#1 Post by caitlin1120 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:05 pm

Hey guys!

So at my last appointment my orthodontist looked into his crystal ball and saw elastics in my future. I haven't experienced the joy of wearing elastics yet so I was wondering if any experienced wearers could tell me a bit more about what I should be expecting. Here are some random questions that have popped into my mind:

- Is elastic wearing constantly painful, or is it a lot like adjustments where you get used to it after a few days?
- Are elastics mainly/only used to shift your bite? If so has anyone noticed any facial changes?
- I've already lost a lot of weight from braces and extractions, and I understand you can't eat with elastics in (farewell, snacking). Has anyone lost further weight from elastics? I think if I lose any more my family is going to stage an intervention...
- Finally, I've heard a lot about elastics being used in the final stages of treatment...should I be getting excited about this?? I'll be about 12 months into my 18 month sentence, but my teeth have moved really fast! My bottoms are basically done and there is one small gap at the top that needs to close and that's it! Do most people get them when they're nearing the end?

Thanks for any help and keep smiling!! :D

lovelyleo

#2 Post by lovelyleo » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:17 pm

Hey,

I wore my elastics faithfully during the last 9 months of treatment. I started taking them out for meals and snacks, but as I got used to having them in I ate with them also. Yes I swallowed a few but I am sure they all came out the other end. The pain does subside after awhile, so you do get used to them. The only thing is to make sure you have enough. There was a few times when I ran out between appointments,but my ortho just mailed me some.

Good luck and wear them!

Debrace DAY Monday June 14th!!!!
24-30 month estimated treatment time

TumbleDryLow

#3 Post by TumbleDryLow » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:39 pm

Everyone is different, but here are my experiences with elastics.

--I found that elastics were painful for the first week or so and then pain would subside; so yes, a lot like adjustments.
--I think elastics can also be used to close gaps, but mostly they are used as grunt force laborers to get teeth where they need to be.
--Yes my face has changed, but it's pretty subtle.
--Some people can eat with them in. I found that I couldn't without also eating the elastic so i always take mine out when eating. No need to stop snacking. Just take them out, eat, and put them back in. You'll get used to the routine.
--I had elastics for the majority of my treatment time, so I can't really vouch that they are only used at the end.

One thing is for sure--elastics really work, sometimes astonishingly fast.

Margie

#4 Post by Margie » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:21 pm

I got elastics at my last adjustment which was about 2 weeks ago. I don't find they hurt, I think it is just more pressure. You will get used to it after a couple of days, so in that respect it is kind of like an adjustment.

I have very heavy elastics in so I find opening my mouth wide very difficult. I take the elastics out every time I eat, it isn't hard to get used to taking the elastics out, eating, cleaning my teeth and then putting the elastics back in.

I haven't noticed any facial changes, but I am still pretty new to elastics so it could still happen.

I hope that elastics are the final stages of treatment because that means I could be almost done, but I don't know for sure.

Good luck!

hal2me

Re: Elastic Experience

#5 Post by hal2me » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:07 pm

caitlin1120 wrote:Hey guys!

So at my last appointment my orthodontist looked into his crystal ball and saw elastics in my future. I haven't experienced the joy of wearing elastics yet so I was wondering if any experienced wearers could tell me a bit more about what I should be expecting. Here are some random questions that have popped into my mind:

- Is elastic wearing constantly painful, or is it a lot like adjustments where you get used to it after a few days?
- Are elastics mainly/only used to shift your bite? If so has anyone noticed any facial changes?
- I've already lost a lot of weight from braces and extractions, and I understand you can't eat with elastics in (farewell, snacking). Has anyone lost further weight from elastics? I think if I lose any more my family is going to stage an intervention...
- Finally, I've heard a lot about elastics being used in the final stages of treatment...should I be getting excited about this?? I'll be about 12 months into my 18 month sentence, but my teeth have moved really fast! My bottoms are basically done and there is one small gap at the top that needs to close and that's it! Do most people get them when they're nearing the end?

Here are my answers to your questions:

1. The elastics made my teeth and jaw sore for the first few days. Nothing an Aleeve could not handle.

2. The elastics are being used to fix my slight overbite.

3. Thankfully, my weight has not been affected. Like your family, mine was very concerned. They kept wanting to take me out for ice cream to gain weight!

4. In my case, I am nearing the end of treatment. However, I have heard of some people getting elastics as early as 6 months. I did not get eleastics until I was 14 months in.

Hope this helps!

alimommy1

#6 Post by alimommy1 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:19 pm

Oh the joys of elastics... I didn't really keep good track of my treatment at the time but I DO remember elastics and several of the configurations. When you first start wearing them, I swear it feels like your teeth are going to pop out of your head. Even the larger 'lighter' first ones are incredibly tight and you wonder if people will even understand you when you're talking. It does get better after a few days - but here is the caveat - AS LONG AS YOU WEAR THEM CONSTANTLY lol. It is so tempting to just leave them off when they hurt, but then it means they hurt longer, kind of like not wearing an appliance because it irritates your tongue or your palate or your lip - then you never get used to it and it hurts every time you wear it. I got to the point where the elastics felt good and my teeth felt all wobbly and unsupported and my bite felt 'off' without them.

I think they are mostly for closing a bite or shifting midlines or correcting relationships between your jaws? I didn't notice any 'unwelcome' facial changes as a result of elastics. As far as snacking, I know at first I wasn't able to eat with them in, but eventually I did, and I'd just replace them with new ones after brushing my teeth. I think it is far worse having something removable because then in order to snack you have to take it out - and honestly I think it ends up causing you to snack less, especially in public because sometimes it's not convenient to just pop out an appliance in a public food court... for instance lol.

I've seen people wear elastics at all different stages, I think it really depends what's wrong and if your ortho is correcting different things on a certain timeline. I think I wore my elastics for most of the last 12 months - after my alignment was almost done but my bite was still wonky.

ItsmeRichard

#7 Post by ItsmeRichard » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:04 am

I got my braces put on Aug 09, and started wearing my elastics Feb 10...its june now so it's been 4 months...during this time frame, i had to wear the elastics in the front, and in the back...it has corrected my overbite for the most part and yes they work really fast.

I take them out when I eat, and then put a new one back in...they do hurt at first, but its just like getting ur braces tightened because you get used to it...now is this the final stage, idk but i sure hope so lol
Spacers: 7/29/09
Braces put on: 8/5/09
25 month sentence
Estimated debrace: 9/2011 (hopefully earlier)

Jen8626

Re: Elastic Experience

#8 Post by Jen8626 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:50 am

caitlin1120 wrote:Hey guys!

Hi! Here are my views...

I'm in elastics after 3 months of treatment to close extraction gaps, align arches and improve overjet of 10mm.
Elastics made my jaw ache and the elastics rubbed the inside of my cheeks for a few days. Where my teeth are moving the hooks for the elastics are rubbing my lip, but I think this is a good sign!! Can always use wax to put on bracket. I've already noticed an improvement in my bite after 3 weeks or so, I can bite down completely now. I only take them out for cleaning, I eat with them in I believe this improves your bite faster. I don't feel any pain but it just feels tight, I also have powerchains so this adds pressure. Facial profile hasn't really changed I don't think, my lips look a better shape where my teeth are straight.
I lost a bit of weight mainly because I'm snacking less and I can't throw food down my throat, takes me a while to eat now. I feel healthier, can't wait to have a burger though when braces are off! :D

Best of luck!!