Dry lips...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bracedup

Dry lips...

#1 Post by bracedup »

So, i've been braced now for a little over 2 months now. Everything is going great, lots of movement, great smile, happy happy happy. The one thing that continually bugs me is my dry lips. I am always running my tongue over them no matter how much lip balm I put on and they are always dry. Today they are sore and very annoying. Does anyone else have this problem and what do you use to soothe them? I was told this is a temporary thing but not for me. :(

hal2me

#2 Post by hal2me »

Hi bracdup!

This problem plagued me as well. Do you breathe with your mouth open? I did when I first got my braces and this cause my lips to dry. Now, I am more conscious if my mouth is open when I am breathing.

One solution is to try Vaseline on your lips. I find this works better than lip balm or Chapstick.

Hope this helps!

Snowglobe32

#3 Post by Snowglobe32 »

Vaseline Intensive Lip Therapy....comes in a tube. I have tried everything, this is the best. Stock up1

lovelyleo

#4 Post by lovelyleo »

Also might want to up your water intake. Sometimes if I am really dehydrated my lips get dry too. I am sure the braces do not help the situation.

Debrace DAY Monday June 14th!!!!
24-30 month estimated treatment time

avy

#5 Post by avy »

This seems to happen alot - there was a previous thread about it recently and there were a few suggestions:

1. Use Neutrogena Norwegian Hand Cream (worked for alot of people)
2. Make sure when you brush your teeth that you dont let foam get all around your mouth and lips - this adds to the problem.
3. I changed toothpaste brands it my lips cleared up completely. I went from an expensive Colgate to the cheaper Colgate and I havent had any issues since.

Good luck :D

llehsal

#6 Post by llehsal »

I use Vaseline Lip Therapy in the green and white tin. It really helps, but I realise I lick my lips less as it takes more out for me to do so now. He he he. If not, I use blistex medicated lip balm. These two should help.

Shelby's Braces Story - http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=35311

bracedup

#7 Post by bracedup »

Thanks for the help everyone. I will get some vaseline lip therapy tomorrow. The tip about the tothpaste is also good to know Avy, thankyou.

uvraise

#8 Post by uvraise »

CARMEX, It does a great job and doesn't taste very good!

alimommy1

#9 Post by alimommy1 »

I second the carmex suggestion, I love the stuff. Also, drinking more water just helps your skin - including your lips - plump up. I have carmex in my bathroom AND carmex in my car - for all those little emergencies where you need it lol. I hate when my lips get dry, it often causes me to chew on them or lick them and then it just gets worse!