OH MY GOD

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Maggi

OH MY GOD

#1 Post by Maggi »

My son banged his head against my mouth yesterday on the upper left side where I have my braces points. Now my mouth is swollen very badly. I know my teeth are okay. Its my skin inside the mouth which is hurt badly and makes my mouth swollen.

Should I go to Orthodontist? The only problem is she is too far & I don't feel like going unless I have to go.

What are the options I can do? I took 2 pain killers today & I feel little better. Any more suggestions?

drrick

#2 Post by drrick »

call your doc and ask his/her opinion.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

Maggi

#3 Post by Maggi »

I called. She is too vague. They don't want to take liability. she was like if u are in lot of pain, just come in.

I think she wants to take money for my visit.

Audra

#4 Post by Audra »

Then go see your dentist.

drrick

#5 Post by drrick »

why does everyone think it as allways about money?
In most offices where you are getting braces that is a freebe anyway.

Put ice on your lip (off and on) and put some wax on your brackets.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

kilikena311

#6 Post by kilikena311 »

Maybe doing a salt water rinse or something would ease some of the irritation on the inside of your mouth. Probably though since you're swollen the ice would be better though.

Snowglobe32

#7 Post by Snowglobe32 »

[quote="drrick"]why does everyone think it as allways about money?
quote]

That is a goodpoint. My treatment costs covers everything from start to finish. Paying extra for appointments? No way.

TumbleDryLow

#8 Post by TumbleDryLow »

Honestly, if you think that your teeth are OK and there is no damage to any brackets, there is very little your orthodontist can do for you. The tissue inside your mouth just needs time to to heal. Cold compresses and Advil for the swelling, salt water rinses and wax to help with the abrasion are about all you can do. I'm sure you will be fine in a week or so.

Jewles

#9 Post by Jewles »

I agree with TimbleDryLow, your ortho cant do anything for cuts inside your mouth and you said your teeth are fine. Stick some wax on the braces which are closest to the injury, do some salt water rinses and wait it out :)

catgyrl

#10 Post by catgyrl »

Ditto what everyone here said. I used to laugh and "pooh-pooh" my dentist when he told me to rinse with salt water to alleviate the gum pain I had after cleanings. Those rinses are a lifesaver to me now! They are so soothing. I also tried to be brave and go without the wax, but you just cannot. You won't have to wear it forever - just until the area that's being irritated toughens up a bit. For me, that was a day, max.

Hang in there!!

Maggi

#11 Post by Maggi »

TumbleDryLow wrote:Honestly, if you think that your teeth are OK and there is no damage to any brackets, there is very little your orthodontist can do for you. The tissue inside your mouth just needs time to to heal. Cold compresses and Advil for the swelling, salt water rinses and wax to help with the abrasion are about all you can do. I'm sure you will be fine in a week or so.
You were right. I took pain killers and waited for a week. Back to Normal again. Thanks!!