Top or bottom brace first?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

berry

Top or bottom brace first?

#1 Post by berry »

Hi, I'm getting braces in 10 days (yay!) but I was wondering which brace is usually fitted first? I'm getting 'brace 1' in ten days then 'brace 2' four weeks after. I assumed brace 1 would be the upper brace but now I'm not sure and I can't remember if the ortho said which one. It's not a big problem, I'm just curious.

Also.. maybe an odd question, but is it ok to eat peanut butter with braces on? :D

Snowglobe32

#2 Post by Snowglobe32 »

Yes, you can eat peanut butter with braces. Might want to stick to the creamy kind.

I got both arches done at the same time. From what I have read here, when they only do one arch, it is usually the top first.

Good Luck!

jambo532

#3 Post by jambo532 »

ditto... I got mine both done at the same time. I wouldn't want it any other way because then my mouth got sore all at once and got better that way too.
www.allbraced.blogspot.com

fluffybottom

#4 Post by fluffybottom »

My top arch was braced first; I got my lower arch braced six months later. My ortho did this because she needed to make progress in correcting my deep bite before putting on the lowers; if she hadn't, I would have been biting off my brackets.
I had my braces on for 2 years, 1 month, 2 weeks and 2 days.

bracesrox

Re: Top or bottom brace first?

#5 Post by bracesrox »

berry wrote:Hi, I'm getting braces in 10 days (yay!) but I was wondering which brace is usually fitted first? I'm getting 'brace 1' in ten days then 'brace 2' four weeks after.
I'm getting braced on the 11th for the 1st time and I want to get them both done at the same time but my ortho only does one arch at a time. I'll have to wait 4-6 weeks and just as I can chew again I can get my lowers done.

Have you thought your choices on metal or some sort of clear braces? I'm leaning to a combo clear on top and metal on bottom.
Radiance clear uppers and metal lowers
1st of 3 consultations = 3/11/10
Records & Such = 4/21/10
Upper Brace Day = 5/11/10
Lower Brace Day = 7/01/10

LAJaw

#6 Post by LAJaw »

I had only my uppers braced initially and have to wait a month before getting my lowers braced as well. My ortho explained that it was for patient comfort to split up the bracing.
Uppers braced April 15, 2010.
Wisdom teeth extracted April 30, 2010.
Lowers braced May 12, 2010.
BSSO & 3-piece LeFort I April 22, 2011.
Braces off July 3, 2012!!
My surgery blog: http://jeremiahjaw.wordpress.com

berry

Re: Top or bottom brace first?

#7 Post by berry »

bracesrox wrote: Have you thought your choices on metal or some sort of clear braces? I'm leaning to a combo clear on top and metal on bottom.
I'm getting metal braces on both, but I didn't really get a choice because it's NHS and I don't really want to pay extra. Although, if I DID get a choice I'd probably still choose metal because I know someone with clear braces and it can look odd sometimes. Also, I want it done as quick as possible!

TigerLily

#8 Post by TigerLily »

I had my lower brace on firsts, by six months. I did, however, have to wear a bite plate (removable appliance that looks a bit like a hawley retainer but without a wire at the front). At least two other people on these forums have had their lowers on that I can think.

trillium

#9 Post by trillium »

both at the same time
04/09/09- Consult, 04/21/09- Spacers in, 04/23/09- Braces on, 06/01/09- Extractions
06/25/09- First Adjustment (new wire, but same size- all the way to bck molars- after extractions)
08/20/09- Second adjustment (same size wire but got Powerchains top and bottom!!!)
10/02/09- 3rd adj (same size wire, new powerchain, started elastics)
12/10/09- 4th adj. (same size wire, new powerchain, same elastics)
02/11/10- 5th adj.