Help Me Choose

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Animal1234

Help Me Choose

#1 Post by Animal1234 »

I am about to get braces and I have to decide on ceramic vs metal.

The cost difference will be $800

For those of you who have had ceramic Id love to hear if you liked it or not.
Ive heard of the staining issues so I am a little worried about that. I only drink Water and milk though.

For those that have metal braces are they super bulky?

Thank You

I love my teeth

#2 Post by I love my teeth »

if you search this forum-there are many threads already exhausing this issue--no need to really rehash here!! search metal vs. ceramic!! good luck!
Wore Braces for 2 years, 5 months, 3 days

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

retainerjoe

#3 Post by retainerjoe »

i have had both the ceramic are nice , an you bearly see them ,but they are bulky , an you can see the metal archwire , an the clear ties stain pretty fast from tea coffee and soda, so the metal are smaller an are very comfortable, an i like them very well , being said to you is that worth 800 to you in the bank or on your teeth it is all up to you , but i like the metal much better
http://community.webshots.com/user/head ... =community this link also has my video of me getting my braces

Animal1234

#4 Post by Animal1234 »

I love my teeth wrote:if you search this forum-there are many threads already exhausing this issue--no need to really rehash here!! search metal vs. ceramic!! good luck!
I actually tried to do that but the search feature on this forum isnt that great. I cant seem to be able to search by titles only.

I love my teeth

#5 Post by I love my teeth »

I see what you mean, I tried it too--but if you search ceramic vs. metal about 1/2 way down the list there is a topic called "clear vs. metal...is one better"

that was one that was commented on very recently, and has about 29 or so responses..........a good place to start.

I had all metal for the first 10months, then last week just changed my front 8 to ceramic---the clear brackets are larger and you can still see the archwire--but for somereason I am less selfconscious of them-I don't know why!! I hated myself in all metal, especially in pics, I am hoping pictures won't be such a big deal now!

To be honest, I thought "everyone" would notice the change, and NOBODY did, not even my kids or my husband.........I was sad :cry:

But I changed it for my self, and my own self esteem, I was very, very surprised that not even my girlfriends noticed a difference!!

[/url]

Animal1234

#6 Post by Animal1234 »

Yeah I tried that you just gotta skim through the posts but it works.

Do you think Ceramic wont make much of a difference if my top teeth are apart from each other (quite a few gaps)?

All the pictures I see with ceramics are from people who have their teeth touching at least and aligned.

yj207

#7 Post by yj207 »

I would go with metal and save $800 bucks. Its only for 2 years right?
Braced for 23 months 1 week and 3 days!
I had 4 extractions and all my wisdom teeth removed.
I decided to get removal retainers so it will be easier to floss.

Animal1234

#8 Post by Animal1234 »

yj207 wrote:I would go with metal and save $800 bucks. Its only for 2 years right?
Less than that. 12-18 months.

I love my teeth

#9 Post by I love my teeth »

to me it's a vanity thing----I am a 39yo mother of 2, and I hated looking at myself after 10months of metal-I know that's dumb, I was the only one who cared......especially in pictures--my OD said I had to have metal to start with due to the forces he needed to move my teeth (they were BAD!!) and then he needed to rebond brackets, so I was able to switch to ceramic then---at least I can stand to look at myself in the mirror now :D haven't seen any pictures of myself in these yet to see if they are more noticable.........if you don't have a vanity issue (like me 8) ) then I would save the $$ and go metal..........if you are going to be unhappy with the metal look, spend the $$ and got for clear.....personal choice, unless the OD is partial to one over the other!!

[/url]

Animal1234

#10 Post by Animal1234 »

Yeah I feel like I might be the same. Hard decision to make.

I have another question that you guys can help me choose.

So Ive been to a few Orthos over the last couple years and each one of them have said that I need to get jaw surgery to have perfect teeth.

I am a college student and just cant afford that at all in the states. So if I go through with braces without the jaw surgery my ortho said that I would still have a overbite.

My other option is to go to Mexico. One of the previous orthos i spoke to said that he knows an ortho in mexico that can get me Jaw surgery and braces for about 7k.

Is an overbite worth the extra 3-4k plus traveling to mexico once a month?

Animal1234

#11 Post by Animal1234 »

I guess I cant edit the last post. I want to add that currently my top teeth are really crooked. So braces alone would help straighten my teeth out.

evilnel

#12 Post by evilnel »

I have self-litigating ceramics on top and SL metal on the bottom. I don't really notice any difference between the size under my lips. I think the ceramics feel larger width and height-wise, but the depth really feels the same to me, even with all the chains and closing thread I have on top of the wires! I haven't seen a lot of pictures of me with my mouth open, but I really appreciate them being more discreet. My five year old niece, after an entire weekend hanging out with me, finally said: "I just noticed you got braces!" My four year old niece said: "Why are your teeth icky?" Lol, when I explained they were called braces and showed her, she amended and said my teeth were pretty. So I guess it's a matter of perspective.

I guess it depends on your money situation. If you're scraping to pay for them, the metal isn't going to be like a neon sign on your teeth. If you have a big budget for it, go for the ceramic.

yj207

#13 Post by yj207 »

I would get several other consults before going to mexico... mexico is dangerous right now especially with the drug war. I think another ortho could try to get your bite as optimal as they can without surgery, I mean every dr approaches treatment differently.

I have metal and to be honest I notice them more than other people, most people think I look really young and don't really comment on them. I had the option of going for ceramics without paying extra but I still went with metal b/c they were less bulky and a few people who had ceramics told me they break sometimes and I want these things done as fast as possible so I thought metal would be the best route. I know there are other types of clear brackets that don't break or stain and not bulky but if money wasn't the issue I would go for those. Still these are temporary things in your mouth, $800 is a lot of money to give up for looks. I would buy tons of clothes, shoes, or bags with that money. At least they will stay with me as long as I can keep them. Good luck on your decision!
Braced for 23 months 1 week and 3 days!
I had 4 extractions and all my wisdom teeth removed.
I decided to get removal retainers so it will be easier to floss.

macadamia

#14 Post by macadamia »

I went with the Radiance brand clear sapphire brackets. It will cost me an additional $800 over my dental insurance co-pay. I decided to get them despite the cost for a more discrete look.

You need to weigh the cost / return benefit of spending the extra money for the clear bands. For me, it is worth the extra money.

Good luck...

Meemoo

#15 Post by Meemoo »

Like the others have said, it's largely a matter of personal preference.

I am getting braced in June and I'm going for full metal as it's an extra $750 per arch to get ceramic and as I'll only be in the braces for 12-14 months, it's not worth the extra cost for me. I'm actually kind of looking forward to the metal!

As for the surgery, it depends on what outcome you want. I was told that I could have surgery to pull my jaw forward if I wanted to but it'd only be to get absolutely perfection and upper and lower braces would pretty much fix my bite completely anyway. Therefore to me, surgery isn't worth it.