Help Me Choose

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

newsboysgrl777

#31 Post by newsboysgrl777 »

I have ceramic on top and metal on the bottom. Here are the pros and cons I can offer, but, again, like everyone has said, it all comes down to preference. At the end, I will also tell you MY preference. :)

Metal
Pros:
-smaller bracket
-ligs are easier to go around which causes a little less pain initially during adjustments
-traditional "look" of braces
-less money in many cases

Cons:
-More visible

Ceramic
Pros:
-less visible
-CONTRARY TO POPULAR BELIEF, THE BRACKETS DO NOT STAIN! (Metal does not either, but I wanted to point this out, as it's a common misconception)

Cons:
-Bulkier
-More costly
-Still visible
-A little harder to get ligs around them (though the discomfort during adjustments is GONE now)
-Ligs can stain*

*Your ortho may be open to using white coated wire ties which resist staining. My uppers have had the SAME wire tires for about 3-4 months now, and I eat curry and tea and coffee and even mustard and THEY DO NOT STAIN!

MY PREFERENCE:
I would do EXACTLY the same as I have now if given the choice again (and I had actualy contemplated putting metal on top when I was de-banded for a month during my wedding/honeymoon, but opted not to go that route). Granted, it wasn't a money issue for me - my ortho offered ceramic at the same price - but I like not having total metal in my mouth. YES you can still see I have braces, but it seems more 'adult' to me. And I'm very happy with my smile for the most part.

All this being said - it doesn't matter how many pros and cons of each there are b/c everyone weighs different things differently. For me, I like the astethics of the ceramic, but for others, it's the cost that's more important. YOU are the only one who can determine what is right for you.

As an aside, if you can get the CLEAR brackets, that'd be even BETTER. I have the regular ceramic (they are white), but there are brackets called "ice" or "sapphire" and they are PERFECTLY clear..and from photos, they look even LESS noticeable. (They are still ceramic, they are just clear)

PS Sorry for any typos. I don't have spell check and I don't feel like proof reading. LOL

newsboysgrl777

#32 Post by newsboysgrl777 »

Wanted to post one more PRO for the ceramic:
-they seem less abraisive/painful when rubbing against cheeks/tongue. I've had to get the comfort cover (you can buy it on the archwired store) for my bottom (metal) brackets and still use it at times -- and I'm 21 months into treatment.

However, I don't want that to be a HUGE deciding factor because ANY and ALL brackets take getting used to! My top brackets were uncomfortable (and felt HUGE in my mouth) when I first got them. And the adjustments were pretty painful at first. Then, when I had the metal brackets put on, I had NEVER experienced more pain in my teeth in my ENTIRE life! It wasn't b/c of the brackets, though. It was smiply b/c of how sensitive my teeth were and how much movement needed to be done, etc. Now I would have to say that the metal in my mouth may be MORE comfortable simply b/c the brackets are smaller. However, my mouth is used to both types and I'm perfectly happy with what I have. Everyone is different!

crumble

#33 Post by crumble »

Can I just clear up the issue of staining. I have a full set of clear ceramic brackets on top and bottom and although they have not stained (well they have a tiny amount as when a bracket breaks and is replaced it is a slight noticable difference) the cement bonding has stained and as the brackets are clear this shows through so people do need to bear this is mind if they drink coffee/wine etc

teresa302

#34 Post by teresa302 »

I have inspire ice on top-metal on bottom. I have not had braces long enough to determine if the clear brackets will stain. According to ortho brackets do not stain...but ligs/powerchains will depending on what you eat...but that will be the same for metal. Ortho states it is the combination of powerchain, arch wire and elastics that will move my teeth. He left out brackets...so I guess in my case (clear or metal) would do the job.

I do not have ligs(smoke powerchains on top and bottom).

Ortho did not charge more for ceramics...so far I am happy with my decision.
Brace Day 4/21/2010
elastics at night/bite plate/
18 months sentence
In late 30's
Fixing gaps & overbite.

cosmo

#35 Post by cosmo »

teresa302 wrote:I have inspire ice on top-metal on bottom. I have not had braces long enough to determine if the clear brackets will stain. According to ortho brackets do not stain...but ligs/powerchains will depending on what you eat...but that will be the same for metal. Ortho states it is the combination of powerchain, arch wire and elastics that will move my teeth. He left out brackets...so I guess in my case (clear or metal) would do the job.

Have you noticed any changes? cuz i haven't :(

My Brace Story:
http://archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.p ... highlight=
1st Adjustment: 6/12/10-wire .014, top n bottom

follow my blog @ http://www.honneyinthesun.com

teresa302

#36 Post by teresa302 »

cosmo wrote:
teresa302 wrote:I have inspire ice on top-metal on bottom. I have not had braces long enough to determine if the clear brackets will stain. According to ortho brackets do not stain...but ligs/powerchains will depending on what you eat...but that will be the same for metal. Ortho states it is the combination of powerchain, arch wire and elastics that will move my teeth. He left out brackets...so I guess in my case (clear or metal) would do the job.

Have you noticed any changes? cuz i haven't :(

Yes, minor changes in my bite and small movement with front teeth. I have so much going on in my mouth...powerchains, elastics at night and bite plate...don't get discouraged....I am sure your teeth will move when they feel like moving :wink:
Brace Day 4/21/2010
elastics at night/bite plate/
18 months sentence
In late 30's
Fixing gaps & overbite.

cadc

#37 Post by cadc »

I have ceramic on the top and metal on the bottom. I have had no problems with either. If I had the chance to go back, I would just save my money and get metal all around. There is still a weird look when you smile with the ceramics, so I personally don't think they're any better. Mine have never stained, and I'm going on 4 years with them. I've drank pop, coffee, etc...

cadc

#38 Post by cadc »

cadc wrote:I have ceramic on the top and metal on the bottom. I have had no problems with either. If I had the chance to go back, I would just save my money and get metal all around. There is still a weird look when you smile with the ceramics, so I personally don't think they're any better. Mine have never stained, and I'm going on 4 years with them. I've drank pop, coffee, etc...
to clarify: my ceramics are considered "clear"

cosmo

#39 Post by cosmo »

cadc wrote:I have ceramic on the top and metal on the bottom. I have had no problems with either. If I had the chance to go back, I would just save my money and get metal all around. There is still a weird look when you smile with the ceramics, so I personally don't think they're any better. Mine have never stained, and I'm going on 4 years with them. I've drank pop, coffee, etc...
when do you get them off?

My Brace Story:
http://archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.p ... highlight=
1st Adjustment: 6/12/10-wire .014, top n bottom

follow my blog @ http://www.honneyinthesun.com

cadc

#40 Post by cadc »

when do you get them off?[/quote]

I have no clue when I'll be getting them off. Every year I hope that THIS is the year to get them off. Lately, there has been much improvement, so I really am hoping that this year will be the year!lol

MegP60+

Help me choose

#41 Post by MegP60+ »

My ortho told me that choosing ceramic over metal would add several months to my treatment time. Also that ceramic are more difficult to remove, so I opted for metal. A price difference wasn't discussed.

alimommy1

#42 Post by alimommy1 »

I had metal braces when I had them, and I was just glad to be able to smile at all without being embarrassed lol. That isn't to say I didn't smile, I did, I have tons of pictures that I can look at and go 'ugh I hated my teeth'. Anyway, from discussing it with my ortho, the metals, especially the self-ligating damon braces are probably the most comfortable with the least amount of friction, smaller bracket size, lower profile, and no staining due to no ligs, while most of the ceramics are larger and more high profile which means they would probably bug your lips and cheeks more.

I am and was a big coffee and soda drinker, and both of those tend to stain ligs, even if you get the silver ones which matched my brackets.. not to mention other goodies like curry, cranberry, and anything that includes dyes like sno-cone syrup, kool-aid...

I have also heard varying complaints of how ceramic brackets are more likely to come off or get loose, and that metal are stronger? I only had one bracket pop off once and the office got me in Monday (it happened on a Saturday afternoon).

rolo

#43 Post by rolo »

In 2 years, my lower radiance ceramic clear brackets have not stained or broken or popped off, and I'm not particularly careful and eat nuts and chewy food. I've had ligatures stain the odd time, but not often. No issues with increased time of treatment, I had an inpacted upper canine, lots of crowding, so 2 yrs seems pretty good to me. The only comment that I would make is that I've needed much more frequent adjustments than 6 weeks, the longest I've gone is four weeks, sometimes it has been two weeks, although this has been mainly due to upper linguals and the particular issues with my teeth than ceramic brackets.