Difficult Foods to Eat!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ashesgap

Difficult Foods to Eat!

#1 Post by ashesgap »

Ok so i've found a couple of foods that are horrible to eat....
Cheez-Its and Goldfish. Ouch! After the second and third bites my teeth felt heavy and thick, which was gross. I practically ran to the bathroom to rinse. Thank goodness for my RediBreeze.
Ribs. They're pretty easy to eat, but not worth the twenty minutes flossing.
I know there are more, but these were my most recent issues.
Feel free to add on!
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

DrBlur

#2 Post by DrBlur »

Anything with spinach...I love spinach, but over the last few days I've had pizza and soup, both with spinach in them, and the amount that gets stuck and needed to be picked out of my braces was not worth it!
32 years old, total time in braces=30 months

-Braces and palate expander on 4/15/10
-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

kelly7

#3 Post by kelly7 »

oranges, mango, and hard food

Pattyb

#4 Post by Pattyb »

Chow Mein--the bean sprouts really get stuck in the wires.
Pizza--how can you not eat the crust (the best part)
Steak--enough said

tsmurfenator

#5 Post by tsmurfenator »

Candy apples are the only thing I would not eat (not that I have attempted)

Honestly my only real concern about eating with braces is the chance of breaking a bracket. Food stuck all over doesn't faze me much.
34 y/o guy with full metal brackets and molar bands since 12/16/2009.
1st Adjustment + secondary molar bands 1/23/2010.
2nd Adjustment 3/27/2010.
3rd Adjustment 5/1/2010.
4th Adjustment 6/11/2010.
5th Adjustment 9/29/2010.
6th Adjustment 2/8/2011.

MerryKate

Can you damage the wire?

#6 Post by MerryKate »

I've finally gotten to the point that I can chew again, but I'm finding my arch wire seems more flexible than before. How tight should the wire be? And can you loosen it by eating something like chewy bread? I'm avoiding all the "forbidden" foods, but I had a wire come out of the bracket the evening of my first adjustment and I don't want to do that again.
"Every tooth in a man's head is more valuable than a diamond." ~Miguel de Cervantes

Mimi31

#7 Post by Mimi31 »

My only issue is with hard foods like nuts or cassava crisps (which i love) or anything else that would break my brackets or wire. I basically avoid eating anything that would risk prolonging my treatment.

njsuburban

#8 Post by njsuburban »

Hoagies with really good crusty bread. I've never had to pull apart a hoagie like I had to do on Wednesday. Eat the filling with a fork then tear apart the bread and eat that.

Sushi. The rice and fish get stuck everywhere.
Braced Feb. 18, 2010.

catgyrl

#9 Post by catgyrl »

Subway chocolate chip cookie... Honestly, I think it took me over 30 minutes to eat it, and that was mostly by breaking it apart in little bits and "gumming it". So not worth it, to me. I'm one of those people who won't eat things if they're too much hassle (corn on the cob getting stuck in teeth; breaking apart crab legs, etc.)

Oh, and Cheetos!! I thought those would be soft, but they're not. AND - they get stuck in every single nook and cranny of your mouth, and brackets. Oh lord...

fluffybottom

#10 Post by fluffybottom »

As I sit here eating the crust of my pizza slice, I am trying to think of a food that I have trouble eating.

Hmmm.

There really aren't many. Biting into an apple doesn't work (although slices are just fine) and I have stayed away from saltwater taffy. But pretty much everything else I can eat; it's just that some things take more care.
I had my braces on for 2 years, 1 month, 2 weeks and 2 days.

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#11 Post by blindboarder2008 »

nuts, pretzels and salad!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

kilikena311

#12 Post by kilikena311 »

I'll second the salad. It's really one of the few things that I'm eating at the 1 year mark that still *really* gets stuck in my brackets. I'm not gonna give it up though!

CeliacMom

#13 Post by CeliacMom »

Ha, I was thrilled to have an excuse to give up salad!

A few days ago I tried to eat a PB&J and I had to cut the crusts off to eat it! I have eaten pretzels, after I gummed them to a soggy mess. I am discovering there isn't much that I can carry on a plane that I can eat right now. I can't bring yogurt, applesauce, etc. because of the TSA restrictions (and I'm too cheap to buy it at the airport!)

I miss almonds and I have been too afraid to eat Cheetos. My husband swears I won't last two years without popcorn, I used to eat it for dinner when I got home from class late at night. Has anyone tried the hull-less popcorn?

drpotter

#14 Post by drpotter »

Chocolate bars. I can't seem to bite directly into them, too hard for my poor front teeth and biting from the side just doesn't work.

Otherwise I haven't had much trouble with the things I've tried. Only really cheesy things (combined with bread) have gotten stuck enough in my brackets that I've been annoyed. Done spinach and ribs both without any problems.
Check out my braces blog: http://www.fullmetalbracket.com/

Leyfy

#15 Post by Leyfy »

Apparently its a bad idea to eat Asda (Walmart in the US I think) ice lollies with ceramic brackets as I've noticed a very slight staining on my clear ligs (and that is the only think of that could have done it).

Grrr - been so careful as well! No curry, no red wine etc.

Now I've got used to my bite I am pretty much eating most things again (I've had my braces on nearly two weeks now).

Salad doesn't seem to be a problem - I don't mind stuff getting stuck in them, I just don't like the idea of breaking my brackets and prolonging treatment time so I am being quite careful.