Heading down the last road (I hope)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

beachmommy

Heading down the last road (I hope)

#1 Post by beachmommy »

Well, here I am 18-19 months later, and finally see a light at the end of the tunnel. I am supposed to get these things off in August. I really hope that's true. My orthodontist is covering his a** and not being specific. Anyway, should I not get too excited about August? Do you have any experience with being late in getting them off? I have been in box elastics for the last year, although they pop off all the time so they are mainly in at night.

karencoutts

#2 Post by karencoutts »

Beachmommy,

I was supposed to be finished in February. My ortho never commented on my progress, saying "three more months now" or anything like that. I had to ask him for a specific end date because I was concerned that he never commented in any way on what progress I was making/not making with any mention of a time frame. He would only commit to guessing I might have them off by the summer. Summer meaning... ? Maybe June?

But then at my last appointment around March 13 I had elastics put on and was told that at my next appointment I would get a debracing date. That was a very sudden development, because the previous appointment he was so vague about an end date.

Maybe your ortho is waiting for something specific to show in your teeth before he considers your work done and he cannot guess how long it will take for the teeth to move into place, so will not commit to a date. Either that, or he's like my ortho, and doesn't want to give an end date because he doesn't like to feel pressured. That's what he actually told me. He doesn't like to feel pressured.

It doesn't hurt to ask for a specific end date, but keep in mind that it's only a guess.

I've never had box elastics, so I can't comment on what it means to have them. My current elastic configuration was a subject in one of my other posts "Finishing Elastics: What are they for?" Basically, I'm clueless when it comes to orthodontic finishing methods!

Hang in there!

Snowglobe32

#3 Post by Snowglobe32 »

I wouldn't say your ortho is covering his anything. An estimate is an estimate. Did he give you an exact day as to when they will be removed before you started treatment? Probably not, because they don't do that.

I am sure you just want them off, they will be off soon and you will be so happy! I wouldn't worry if extra time is needed. The main goal is to be satisfied and happy with the service you have paid a lot of money for.

Hang in there!