Page 1 of 2
Overjet, deciding against surgery: question
Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:34 pm
So I am 36 and going to take the plunge on 4/22. I'm having Damon 3 brackets, and opting for the no surgery route (they wanted to advance my lower jaw forward). This was my orthodontist's strong first suggestion, and I understand the ramifications of making that choice.
I did have a question though. I have some pretty heavy crowding on my top arch, and a pretty substantial overjet, as well as a narrow arch. My orthodontist keeps saying "I will address your crowding, but not the overjet."
Now, I understand that she cannot completely fix my bite without the surgery. What I'm wanting to know is: can I not expect *some* reduction of my overjet given the 2 years of braces? (They also do not recommend upper extractions due to my facial profile). I'm finding it hard to believe that they would not, in some way, try to minimize the overjet a bit with what they're doing.
Thanks for insight anyone has (and yes, I know how the surgery would help me...I'm not able or willing to do that at this point in my life).
Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:57 am
My ortho did not suggest surgery to me as an option to fix my overjet. I had my braces on for almost a year and have used elastics for about 5 months. This is how my teeth looked back then and how they looked now:
I still have a year to go, but at this rate, I do not think that surgery is needed. Good luck with your treatment!
Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:58 am
Whoops, sorry, this is supposed to be the second pic:
Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:58 am
Really sorry, internet is messed up...
Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:47 am
polkad0t: how big was your overjet in milimeters ? thanks
Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:12 pm
I had a similar situation with my bite--overjet and narrow arch.
I did opt for surgery by the way.
Talk to your orthodontist regarding how much they can, if they can, improve your overjet without surgery. I know my overjet got worse as my teeth were straightened, but then surgery was part of the plan so it wasn't an issue.
And ask your orthodontist what he/she would be doing to minimize the overjet, if that's what they plan to do. Always good to know before rather than half way down that path of treatment.
Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:25 pm
I too was told I should have surgery to correct my overjet but I opted against it for a couple of reasons. When I started treatment, I had an 8mm overjet and my orthodontist didn't make any promises that it would be corrected. I just wanted the crowding corrected so I would have nice straight teeth. Happily, 18 months in, the overjet has been reduced to about 2 mm and my teeth look incredible. Good luck!
Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:25 pm
Thanks you guys. Really frustrated right now.
My ortho is saying absolutely no change in my overjet. I have a full cm of overjet! I feel like I'm getting bullied into surgery. Really, no change??
I loathe getting a second opinion. I have huge dental phobia, and cannot do impressions without sedation. This ortho is high tech and uses panoramic 3d x-rays instead. I would have to get sedated to have another consult.
Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:50 pm
I had an 11-12mm overjet before treatment, now 10months in it is significantly reduced...HOWEVER____ my OD could not guarantee that the overjet would not return without BSSO surgery to move my lower jaw forward. I keep looking in the mirror thinking, maybe I would get away wihtout surgery---he did promise if he could he would, but he said if any part of the upper front tooth is resting on the lower lip, the condition would return----I have an underdeveloped lower jaw--so I think wihtout the advancement I would be sunk. I would think very, very carefully about your decision.........you don't want the overjet to return---nor do you want a compromised bite.
I just posted some pics of then and now in a thread called "switching to clear brackets" I just posted it late last week----if you can go back and find it you will see my progress....
I know having the surgery stinks, I have avoided getting braces for 15years because I didn't want the surgery, but if you have functional, bite problems and you are looking for a cosmetic fix, you may be selling yourself short!! Please don't make a hasty decision!
Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:09 pm
Thanks...I understand the ramifications of not having the surgery.
I'm glad to hear your overjet has shrunk. I wish I could expect even a little, but on the current course, it sounds like I can't. Blah.
I'm hoping to be able to talk her back into tooth extractions. My enamel is terrible... oddly, I'd be happy to be rid of a few more teeth in my mouth.
Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:02 pm
Your teeth look great in my opinion. Why would you need to get surgery, or extractions? Do you have a side profile pic?
Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:43 pm
I am not braced yet, and those pics are not mine.
But I agree, the teeth are pretty!
Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:13 pm
It sounds like you really don't want to, but I recommend you get a second, third, even fourth opionion. I went to five consults prior to deciding on my ortho. I only got an impression once, after I had "signed up" with the ortho I chose - at the consults, the orthos just looked at my teeth, bite, etc. and made their recommendations based on that. A couple of orthos would only treat me as a surgical case and that was not an option for me. I'm so glad I kept looking because my results are incredible.
Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:36 pm
Socksy pretty much said what I was thinking. Initial consultations are simply an ortho getting your story and looking at your teeth. It may cost you $50, but you will have some peace of mind knowing you tried. All orthos come with different comfort, skill level, and experience.
I went in simply to fix lower teeth crowding. I was very clear that I did not want to fix anything else. My x-rays (etc.) showed I could benefit from lower jaw surgery (etc.) but I'm not up for that. I have a couple of things I want to fix cosmetically, but surgery is not something I'm willing to do for cosmetic reasons (in my case).
Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:49 pm
Thanks for talking me off the ledge. I'm calmer today.
I sent out a few e-mails to other orthodontists asking if I could receive recommendations without getting the impressions done. We will see what they say.
Current ortho would like to meet again to talk about options also.