shooting pain from drinking

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ljgatens

shooting pain from drinking

#1 Post by ljgatens »

I am 48 years old and have had upper braces for 4 months. My incisors have been sensitive during this period - the prospect of eating a sandwich is a couple years off! However, for a couple days I've had shooting pain in one incisor whenever I take a drink. The pain seems to radiate up into my jaw where this tooth sits and lasts for ~30 seconds or longer after the water passes over the tooth. I'm dealing with this by drinking warm water and through a straw. Still, a little contact of water with tooth results in this shooting pain. Is this still just typical pain associated with my teeth moving - granted my upper incisors will probably travel the farthest during this procedure. I do have an appointment in 2 days and will ask about it, but have not had pain like this in the 4 months that I've had braces.

Jewles

#2 Post by Jewles »

I had this pain for 4-6 weeks. It was hell!
I started using tooth paste for sensitive teeth and only used warm water (even when brushing my teeth!). Mine became sensitive to the point where I couldnt open the freezer door because the cold air that hit my face was too painful.
It does go away you just have to be a bit patient :)

avy

#3 Post by avy »

I had this same problem in one of my incisors. It hurt so much I went to the dentist because I thought I had a cavity! My dentist told me what was happening though...
The braces pull your teeth out of the gums slightly revealing teeth that have never seen the light of day. Because the incisors come out the most they tend to get very sensitive, expecially to cold. I got some gum mousse to help with sensitivity which helps alot... but I have also found that after about 5 weeks it has died down to almost nothing. I still get a slight tingle which feels weird more than anything now so maybe give it a little while and it should settle.

sauerkraut

#4 Post by sauerkraut »

An absolute godsend for sensitive teeth is fluoride! My gums are in rather poor shape which has left my teeth exposed and sensitive, especially to cold, but special toothpaste and plenty of fluroide certainly help.

My dentist and/or ortho apply a (rather vile-tasting) fluoride varnish at many of my appointments, and I am also supposed to apply a fluoride gel twice a week (from the pharmacist -- it's called Elmex gel where I live but probably something else in the US). That and good quality "sensitive" fluoride toothpaste used regularly and consistently and it does improve. (Although you are absolutely right to check there's no other underlying problem first, of course!)
SARPE: Sept 2007
Braced: May 2008
BSSO: Nov 2010
Debraced: March 2011

kilikena311

#5 Post by kilikena311 »

I'd definitely check in with my dentist if I were you. It sounds like the pain is pretty severe after 4 months and doesn't seem like something you should have to deal with. I have been using Sensodyne toothpaste since I got braced because my two front teeth have always been somewhat sensitive to cold and I knew they would be doing IPR down the road. Anytime they spray the cold water or air on my teeth it usually would hurt pretty bad. This last round of IPR he did quite a bit on my two front teeth, making them narrower and I had little or no pain from the actual IPR, cold water or air spraying. Now it's just the pain from the powerchains to close the small spaces. :shock:

Rachel B

#6 Post by Rachel B »

Don't worry I've had one tooth that has reacted like that at two separate junctures of my treatment. I know it's horrible but it will subside.
Rach :D :D