How long in retainers?? (I'm still braced)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

b

#16 Post by b »

Personally I have absolutely NO problem wearing retainers to keep my teeth straight. I most definitely do not want to be braced a second time, and retainers arent nearly as noticeble as braces are. For me, I will probably wear them 24/7 as much as possible. Everyone at work has already seen me in braces, why would it make a difference if I had a retainer instead? I will probaly only take it out to show off my smile, or when I have important meetings or going on a date or something like that. I could see how retainers might be a little more uncomfortable for someone who had lingual braces or invisalign.
Spacers in Aug. '09
MARA without elbows on Aug/09
Braces on Nov. 20/09
Elbows for MARA in Feb. 25/10
Braces off August 26, 2010!
Essix Retainers

my story: http://archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=33571

KimC

#17 Post by KimC »

I get my braces off next Friday. My ortho has told me 6 months of 24/7, 12 months of every night after that and thena few nights a week forever.

With this being my 2nd bout with braces and after having worn my retainer religiously for 2 years the first time, I plan on following my orthos recommendation.

While braces really aren't as bad as many people make them out to be. I prefer not to go through it for a 3rd time in my life.

itsabouttime22

#18 Post by itsabouttime22 »

I haven't decided for sure whether or not to get my braces or not, but having to wear a retainer forever does not sound fun. I'm just curious- does the ortho also tell teens who get braces that they have to wear theirs forever? Because I have friends who had braces as a teen (we are now 28)- and they never wear retainers now, not even at night as far as I know. I guess I could ask them- but I haven't told anyone I'm thinking about braces yet so I figured I'd ask here.

VA5

#19 Post by VA5 »

itsabouttime22 wrote:I haven't decided for sure whether or not to get my braces or not, but having to wear a retainer forever does not sound fun. I'm just curious- does the ortho also tell teens who get braces that they have to wear theirs forever? Because I have friends who had braces as a teen (we are now 28)- and they never wear retainers now, not even at night as far as I know. I guess I could ask them- but I haven't told anyone I'm thinking about braces yet so I figured I'd ask here.
\

I think that's what threw me off when they said forever too. My son got braced and he doesn't have a life sentence. I don't understand why a growing boy's teeth/mouth has better retention of the newly moved teeth than an adult. From what i understand, teeth move easier when you are younger, versus as an adult when it is much harder to move. So, you'd think that the retainer wouldn't be as necessary as an adult as it would be as a child/teenager.

But yeah, I will do whatever my ortho says but it's just an interesting thing to me.

VA5

#20 Post by VA5 »

KimC wrote:I get my braces off next Friday. My ortho has told me 6 months of 24/7, 12 months of every night after that and thena few nights a week forever.

With this being my 2nd bout with braces and after having worn my retainer religiously for 2 years the first time, I plan on following my orthos recommendation.

While braces really aren't as bad as many people make them out to be. I prefer not to go through it for a 3rd time in my life.
How old were you the 2nd time you had braces? Were you supposed to wear your retainers longer than the 2 years at that time? Did you notice your teeth move back AFTER you stopped the retainers, or during its use?

DrJasonKTam

#21 Post by DrJasonKTam »

Different starting malocclusions and situations may require different retainers. It is possible to wear a retainer that prevents movements in one direction, but not in another. Therefore it is important that your orthodontist select the appropriate one for your particular finished result.

We let our patients know about retention for life, and it is included in our final letter to them at the end of the retainer checks. Still, the policy and view of each orthodontist may vary.
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

VA5

#22 Post by VA5 »

DrJasonKTam wrote:Different starting malocclusions and situations may require different retainers. It is possible to wear a retainer that prevents movements in one direction, but not in another. Therefore it is important that your orthodontist select the appropriate one for your particular finished result.

We let our patients know about retention for life, and it is included in our final letter to them at the end of the retainer checks. Still, the policy and view of each orthodontist may vary.
I have braces for bimaxillary protrusion. With that information do you know if a permanent retainer will work? I had very straight teeth to begin with, so that isn't my main concern.. my main concern is retaining the retraction that will be achieved w/the braces.

Moty

#23 Post by Moty »

At my consultation, they told me I'd be wearing retainers after my braces, at night, forever.