What's the story behind you finally geting braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

camdog

What's the story behind you finally geting braces?

#1 Post by camdog »

For example, with myself, I always hated the way my front teeth were kinda wonky and that my bite was terrible but thought ah well, just get on with it.

Braces never really crossed my mind because to be honest I never knew you could get them as an adult for cosmetic reasons.

One day though I was browsing through a newspaper and seen an article on Danielle Bux who here in England is a minor celebrity married to the famous English footballer Gary Lineker.

Anyway, I always thought her teeth were a bit goofy and the article was explaining how she had went and got invisalign to sort her smile out and the before and after results were a major improvement..... that was it, after seeing that I booked in for my braces within a week!

After a bit of research I went with In-Ovation C ceramic braces and never looked back (even though it can be painfull sometimes!) :s

Whats everyone else's story? I'd be interested to hear......

Vieve25

#2 Post by Vieve25 »

My whole life dentists told my parents that I did not have an adult canine, so that sometime in my adulthood my babytooth would probably need to be replaced with an implant. I am 25, and last year, my babytooth became sensitive so I went to the dentist and they did an xray and saw I have an impacted canine!!!! they, as well as I, were in disbleief that no one ever saw this before!!!! So they said that I needed to go to the ortho for options, and now a year later (after buying a house, having a 1 year old and getting financially prepared) I am getting started! I will be getting braces, then getting my baby tooth pulled and impacted canine exposed. treatment time is estimated to be 2.5 years, and Im FREAKING OUT. I cant wait for braces but not looking forward to this extraction and exposure surgery.
I guess some time in March I will be getting braces... I am going to my 2nd consult on Mrch 2nd to go over the molds they took and then I guess I'll get my brace date! so thats me in a nutshell!
-Jennie (Vieve25)

Diagnosis:
-Class II division II type malocclusion
-Severely deep overbite
-Upper Left Permanent Cuspid is Impacted
-Midline deviation

Treatment Plan:
-Full banded appliances
-Lower lingual arch
-Extraction of upper left deciduous cuspid
-Re-evaluate the need for extraction of upper left first bicuspid
-Exposure of the upper left permanent cuspid will be necessary

Estimated Treatment Time is 24 months

appygirl82

#3 Post by appygirl82 »

I broke out my 2 front teeth when I was about 5, they put temp material on them and still to this day (27 years old) I still have that temp material for teeth. Over the years they have chipped, cracked etc...and they also are not very straight. So most of my life I have wanted braces soooooo bad...id see all my friends with them and the awesome result. My parents took me to an ortho when I was in 7th grade for a consult, and I never went back. It was sad, cuz my parents made plenty of money to afford it.

So fast forward to now....I do need to get my front teeth crowned (veneers) but if I want braces I need to take care of that before the veneers are put on! I'm very excited to see the end result! My front teeth have already straightened out a ton already even tho they are mostly fake...lol. My insurance covers ZERO of ortho, so I used my FSA account thru work and that paid for about half, I saved for the rest. My ortho also gave me a $1,000 discount for paying up front so I did that....so im now almost a month in braces and they are paid for!!! WHooooo hooooo....now time to get em' off ...heheheheheh :wink:

cathykay

#4 Post by cathykay »

I should have gotten braces as a kid or teenager. My parents didn't take me to the dentist as often as they should have and they weren't pushing for me to get braces, despite my teeth being crooked. Thanks mom and dad...

I was too self-conscious to get braces in high school. I also had a tendency to come up with excuses for why it wasn't a good time: a dance performance that I was in, my teeth would be sore during my regents exam and would distract me, prom. I ended up graduating with my crooked teeth even though they made me feel bad about my appearance at times.

I ended up going for a consultation and that initially went terribly. I gagged when they made my molds and hated having someone looking at my teeth. I was told that I have an underbite and that I may need surgery. Needless to say, I freaked out. After the orthodontist had a better look at my molds and x-rays, he realized that he could give me good results with an extraction, instead of needing surgery. It turned out surgery would have been more cosmetic in my case. Still, I left feeling a mix of emotions and that uncertainty prevented me from making an appointment to actually get my braces on.

A year passed but I thought about my teeth more often.

Then one day, I made yet another excuse. I thought, "if I get them now, I will have braces for my 21st birthday! UGH!" Then a lightbulb went off in my head. If I had just gotten my braces after my consultation, I would be getting them off now! I realized that my teeth would always bother me if I didn't do something about it and that making excuses was ridiculous. So what if I had braces for my 21st birthday? I would have straight teeth later for more important occasions, like my wedding day!

I finally made the decision at 20 years old and it was the best thing I ever did. :)

Ceramic on the top, metal on bottom

My Braces Story! (with pictures!)

haywire

#5 Post by haywire »

i was tired hating myself for 20 years, than i got braces and my life got better. and it will get even better
MY STORY
Braces on 23/07/2009
Braces off 10/12/2010

part time essix hater.

daffodil

#6 Post by daffodil »

I had braces as a teenager for about four years, but my orthodontist never finished the job --I went in to get a broken bracket fixed and he got mad and just took my braces off even though my lower incisors were still crooked :(

A few years ago I saw an orthodontist, thinking I could get Invisalign to finish straightening my teeth, and she said that I was definitely not an Invisalign case and would need 2 years of braces and orthognathic surgery. I was told that I needed orthognathic surgery as a teenager too, but it sounded scary then (and my braces got prematurely removed anyway!). I couldn't start treatment then because I was planning on moving at the end of that year. After I moved, I didn't want to start treatment because I kept thinking I might move to follow my boyfriend.

Now, a few years after that consultation (and after much deliberation and crying after realizing everything that surgery entails), I finally feel settled enough to commit to the two years in braces and two years in the same town.

I think the thing that finally pushed me to get braces was that I'm pushing 30 and I really want to get married and have children, but I'd like to have the braces and surgery behind me first.

camdog

#7 Post by camdog »

Some good stories guys.

I think were all in agreement that a year or two of pain and self consciousness is well worth it for a lifetime of good looks and confidence! :D

Bellalalala

#8 Post by Bellalalala »

I had horrible teeth as a child. My front incisors were !!!HUGE!!! and had a huge angled gap between them. Also, thanks to my mum using anti-biotics while breast-feeding, they also grew in with deep brown wavy lines across them.

So yeah, I had crooked buck-teeth with big brown stains on them.

I was teased pretty much every day to brush my teeth because they were "disgusting."

My childhood dentist was also a monster. I won't go into the details, but I lived in a small town with one dentist who was so horrific to people that when he died in a car crash the town had a party. I'm not kidding.

So, at 14, we moved, and I got a new dentist who did IPR and micro-abrasion on my upper teeth, and after a quick growth spurt, my upper teeth pretty much fell into place...my bottom teeth...not so much.

Anyway, I never really cared too much that my bottom teeth were crooked. I've always been described as having a "beautiful smile" so I just rolled with my lower teeth as a quirk.

Eventually, as I grew out of my "edgy" phase, I longed for the elegance of straight teeth. Being a student, I saved for years, only to have those savings blown on major work on my front tooth, which turned out to be dead and horribly infected from a hit to the face years before.
Boo.

Silver lining?
I met the best dentist EVER!!!
My favourite thing about him was that he never pressured me to get braces. He said my bite was fine, my smile was "beautiful" but that if I ever wanted them, he would give me a great deal.

Fast-forward again.
In the same year I got engaged and accepted into dental school (inspired by my dentist) and I wanted picture perfect teeth, both for my wedding and as an example for my future patients.

The coolest part?
I had to move to go to dental school, but I ended up moving to the same city my dentist had moved the year before!!!

So now, I'm closing in on the end of my treatment, and I have actually really enjoyed the experience. My dentist is so excited to be the one to do this for me, and he's even more excited that I'm becoming a dentist myself.

So there, that's my long (sorry) story.

vonjo27

#9 Post by vonjo27 »

I grew up hating my crooked teeth- ESPECIALLY my underbite. Thankfully it is not as profound as others I've seen, my nonetheless, I've always wanted to correct it. I've had consultations as a child, but my parents never followed through- something I resented for a while because all my siblings and both parents have straight teeth, and I think everyone here knows the effect our teeth can have on our self-esteem, especially through middle/high school.
I'm 24 now, and I've had braces for almost 2 years and my lower/upper jaw surgery is right around the corner. Because my parents never followed through when I was younger, I paid for braces myself, along w/ school, car and my ridiculous cost of living. I made my last monthly payment for braces in January and because of mine and my wife's health insurance, it looks as though the surgery will be covered- as it should, my monthly premiums are sky-high, and it was deemed medically necessary.
Braces suck- I can't wait until this whole ordeal is over with, and I can finally have what so many take for granted; a functional jaw and attractive, straight teeth.

veevianz

#10 Post by veevianz »

I was supposed to get my braces when i was 13. But i refused to go last minute as i was really scared. Then now, i wanna have a nice smile with nice teeth. I wanna be able to smile naturally and not try to hide my teeth all the time because it is ugly and embarassing. Back then, my dad offers to pay, but now i have to pay the whole amount myself. But i'm still glad that i could smile now with my braces and i'm proud to have them...

HeatherJ

#11 Post by HeatherJ »

I had a very similar experience as vonjo27, including buying my own car and paying for college, etc., only I waited until age 33 to get braced. Oh, and my older sister has perfect teeth because she got braces while I didn't. Used to bother me, but I've made my peace.

CeliacMom

#12 Post by CeliacMom »

My parents stopped taking me to the dentist when I was about 13 and I didn't have the money to go again until I was 24. Needless to say, my teeth were not in the best shape.

I've wanted to get braces for a few years, but up until about 2 years ago I was afraid of the dentist. Then I found a great office where they were so nice and understood how I felt. I am going to the ortho who is doing my dentist's braces :)

My daughter finished her braces about 2 years ago and my son will be done in a few months, so now it's my turn.

CassieB

#13 Post by CassieB »

Vieve25 wrote:My whole life dentists told my parents that I did not have an adult canine, so that sometime in my adulthood my babytooth would probably need to be replaced with an implant. I am 25, and last year, my babytooth became sensitive so I went to the dentist and they did an xray and saw I have an impacted canine!!!! they, as well as I, were in disbleief that no one ever saw this before!!!! So they said that I needed to go to the ortho for options, and now a year later (after buying a house, having a 1 year old and getting financially prepared) I am getting started! I will be getting braces, then getting my baby tooth pulled and impacted canine exposed. treatment time is estimated to be 2.5 years, and Im FREAKING OUT. I cant wait for braces but not looking forward to this extraction and exposure surgery.
I guess some time in March I will be getting braces... I am going to my 2nd consult on Mrch 2nd to go over the molds they took and then I guess I'll get my brace date! so thats me in a nutshell!
No need to retype...this is my story...except I'm 40! haha!

Kitagirl

#14 Post by Kitagirl »

I was supposed to get my wisdom teeth out as a teen...dentist brought me in and suddenly he realized my teeth didn't line up so he didn't want to pull out the teeth because then some of my other molars would not have had proper support. My dad didn't want to pay for braces. (To echo someone above...Thanks dad!)

So that was the medical side of it, the other side was that my two front teeth were so big and hung down low they looked like bunny teeth.

I did have some dental work done as a kid, he pulled two bottoms and did a small retainer. Current ortho said he was a bad dentist...and sure enough yes that particular dentist was practicing orthodontistry with only a general dentistry license!

Anyway so I've always hated my teeth and smile....my husband and I talked about it on and off but never had the money. Now my part time cake business was bringing in a little bit of extra cash on a regular basis so we decided we could afford it now, in monthly payments. Especially since my boys will need them too and I should get mine out of the way, and I will not make my boys go through what I had to go through, even if we have to be tight financially to do so! (And my dad could have afforded it by the way.)

Anyway made the plunge last year...got the two top teeth pulled to match the two bottoms that the bad dentist took years ago....and got the braces. Ortho said I really should get surgery to round out my narrow squared off jaws... but if I don't want surgery (I don't) he said we'd do our best with just the braces to straighten things up the best we can.

I'm just really excited to finally be doing this at age 35!!!! Even though I wish my dad had done it for me earlier....I feel like it would have helped my self esteem and things alot better. Being a girl who is 5'11" I had self esteem problems anyway so having super crooked teeth made it worse! My pix so far are linked in my siggy.
Age 35
Extractions May 2009
Ceramic uppers May 2009
Metal lowers approx November 2009
http://archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=34506

http://www.cakesbysuzy.com
http://cakesbysuzy.blogspot.com

stokie66

#15 Post by stokie66 »

camdog that danielle bux is the fittest women ive ever seen ha, can not believe gary linekar has pulled her HOW? suppose its the money god im jelous :lol: