What does the elastic rubber band for?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

gracey82

#16 Post by gracey82 »

drrick wrote:a clear elastic may be less visible than the white one

Ahh I didnt know there is clear elastic one else i would have ask it from my orthon!

gracey82

Re: What does the elastic rubber band for?

#17 Post by gracey82 »

VA5 wrote:
gracey82 wrote:Hi!

I just got couple of my teeth filed today and orthon put this elastic rubber band that tied around my upper incisor to my lower. And asked me to have it on except only when Im eating.

It doesnt hurt very bad but it just look awkward everytime i open my mouth to speak. Is it ok if I just put this at night and leave it overnight and have it remove on the day? I dont mind have to wear it longer as long as I dont need to have it shown when Im around ppl. It just too awkward! I know its to correct my crossbite

thanks for posting the pictures so i can see what's going on with your teeth :)

it's amazing that they filed b/c you can barely tell in the pictures.. it's good that you don't have big gaps all over the place, in other words. i was wondering how it's look since i still would like some ipr too.

do you have powerchains on your teeth? it's hard to tell..

OH and VA5 I'm pretty glad with my decision now sticking with non-extraction becasue I can see my teeth been pulled back even though my orthon havent started on retraction yet. THe IPR will help gain some mm and then she will start with the retraction.

gracey82

#18 Post by gracey82 »

VA5 wrote:

I just got couple of my teeth filed today and orthon put this elastic rubber band that tied around my upper incisor to my lower. And asked me to have it on except only when Im eating.

It doesnt hurt very bad but it just look awkward everytime i open my mouth to speak. Is it ok if I just put this at night and leave it overnight and have it remove on the day? I dont mind have to wear it longer as long as I dont need to have it shown when Im around ppl. It just too awkward! I know its to correct my crossbite

it's amazing that they filed b/c you can barely tell in the pictures.. it's good that you don't have big gaps all over the place, in other words. i was wondering how it's look since i still would like some ipr too.

hey VAD5 ,

I thought I would post the pic to let you see the difference of size of my teeth before and after IPR

VA5

#19 Post by VA5 »

gracey82 wrote:Yes my orthon filed my teeth. But she did it bit by bit, she didnt just filed a whole chunk of the teeth. My front two teeth were filed 1 month earlier, and now she is filing it again, and other teeth too. So u can only see a line in between the teeth.

These pics dont do justic as to how much smaller my teeth look because without the face, cant really tell but Im so much happier with my much less protrusive and into-your-face kinda teeth, though retraction is not happening yet.

YEs pwerchain were all transparent and best thing my orthon is really good at making things look less visible, she hide it all behind the archwire.
So is it an electronic file or is it a hand file? Have your teeth felt more sensitive since you've gotten it done? That's my main worry about ipr, that my teeth will feel overly sensitive.. i really hope my ortho is willing to do it on me. we shall see.

VA5

#20 Post by VA5 »

gracey82 wrote:
VA5 wrote:

hey VAD5 ,

I thought I would post the pic to let you see the difference of size of my teeth before and after IPR

ooh yes, i can see the difference! i sure hope my ortho is okay doing it for me.. she did mention doing it just for aeshetics, right at the end.. but i really want smaller looking teeth.. mine are big! lol..

drrick

#21 Post by drrick »

You are a perfect candidate for IPR -- nice wide teeth.

You should not have sensitivity after wards. Personally I have reproxed THOSANDS of teeth and have never had a pt report sensitivity. Sens is usually more related to gumline anyway
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

gracey82

#22 Post by gracey82 »

SO far I have no sensitivity. My two front teeth been filed once before she filed again last week. I have not feel anything indifference. But just soreness the next few days and thats because of the powerchain I supposed.

Yes like DrRick, my orthon said she is not worry about my upper teeth being filed but it was the lower she worry as my lower doesnt have that much enamel as my upper ( alot enamel being big and wide i guess ).

Its electronic, like I mentioned, it doesnt hurt at all, just some irritating noise from the machine. I dont think any orthon nowadays will file teeth with hand file??

braceface418

#23 Post by braceface418 »

Regarding clear elastics, the latex-free elastics are clear. They tend to break more easily than the latex ones, though. I only know this because I thought I had an allergy, but it turned out that any elastics caused irritation when I first had them. I ended up using the latex ones since few things hurt more than an elastic breaking on the inside of your mouth.

kilikena311

#24 Post by kilikena311 »

The dental assistant gave me non-latex bands for some reason the first time. I really felt that they weren't as strong as the latex ones I got the next time even though they were listed as the same size and weight. And I haven't had a single one of the latex bands break.

gracey82

#25 Post by gracey82 »

Was so worried that the rubber band snap inside of my mouth, that would be a big ouch!

DrRick , how much is IPR done is considered ok and acceptable? Are my front teeth being filed too much? Cox my orthon performed IPR twice on my front two teeth. Just noticed quite a difference of size of my teeth now.

In wearing braces, are there chances that the teeth while being pushed back or retracted, getting the chances of lowering the level of the teeth hence showing more of the gum? I know my two teeth (incisor?) next to my front teeth being pulled down a little.

drrick

#26 Post by drrick »

gracey82 wrote:

DrRick , how much is IPR done is considered ok and acceptable? Are my front teeth being filed too much? Cox my orthon performed IPR twice on my front two teeth. Just noticed quite a difference of size of my teeth now.
It all depends on how wide and how much enamel is on the teeth. The more enamel the more you can reprox. It is that simple. Your teeth do not look like they were reproxed too much.
Developer of:

VA5

#27 Post by VA5 »

drrick wrote:
gracey82 wrote:

It all depends on how wide and how much enamel is on the teeth. The more enamel the more you can reprox. It is that simple. Your teeth do not look like they were reproxed too much.
DrRick, how do you know if there is enough enamel on the teeth? Can't you have large teeth but small enamel or it is always correlated. I figure big teeth could just have big nerves areas of the teeth. I have big teeth and want IPR to make my teeth look smaller too. I hope I'm a good candidate. Do you tell just by looking? can you tell by the color of the teeth or whatever how thick the enamel is?

drrick

#28 Post by drrick »

Your doc can tell by the x-rays. Also visually you can get a pretty good idea with experience.

Big teeth do not necesarrily have bigger nerve chambers -- younger teeth do. The older you get the more the nerve chamber shrinks in size. More of an issue with younger children and teens than with adults.

Gracey, BTW, your upper laterals are still wide so that may also be a prime area for reprox.
Developer of:

gracey82

#29 Post by gracey82 »

I ve got a chipped area of my upper front teeth before and can see little abit of cracking on the area. I think I would be careful so I wont reprox too much of it. When I see my teeth against the light, I can see my lateral teeth are translucent, does it mean it has thin enamel and more prone to acid erosion etc?

Even if I can with extraction, I think I still need reprox because there are lits black triangle between my teeth. VAD5, you can ask your doc to perform IPR for you if you are not happy with the shape of your teeth.Dont think it will be an issue.