Question about arch expanders that dont need metal braces...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rover1234

Question about arch expanders that dont need metal braces...

#1 Post by rover1234 »

Hey Guys & Gals,

As you can see, there is some crowding on my right side (but since it's a photo it shows on the left side.)

2 orthos that I consulted both agree that I would benefit from a moderate degree of upper arch expansion.

I am 23 and in grad school and prefer to not have traintracks. I prefer Invisalign.

One orthodontist wants to put me in ceramic braces for "a little under a year" and use a palatal expander to gain as much space as possible. He thinks Invisalign could work but that he would get more expansion with metal braces.

The other said he could get some nice expansion with Invisalign, as he's very good with it, and could even try using an expander BEFORE starting the Invisalign. I've never heard of an expander that didn't have to be attached to metal braces-- anyone familiar with this?

Both are board certified and seem trustworthy.

What do you all think?

evilnel

#2 Post by evilnel »

As somebody who is also 23 and in grad school, I have to say the braces are certainly not a big deal, so I wouldn't let that stop you if that's the route you're leaning toward it. I have ceramics on top and metal on bottom. I haven't had a students I teach say anything to me (some of them still have braces too!) and only two people around the department even noticed or asked about it. I have heard depending on your case, results with traditional braces are usually closer to "perfect" than with invisalign, but I don't know anything about expansion because I have a big head and subsequently large mouth, haha (hey, I AM a grad student!). Hope my feedback can shed a little light on the issue. Good luck with your decision.

Lela

Re: Question about arch expanders that dont need metal brace

#3 Post by Lela »

rover1234 wrote: could even try using an expander BEFORE starting the Invisalign. I've never heard of an expander that didn't have to be attached to metal braces-- anyone familiar with this?
My daughters both had expanders before braces. They were attatched to molar bands.
Fully braced 9-02-08
Braces off 9-21-09

drrick

#4 Post by drrick »

Expancers do not have to be tied into outside full braces. Most fixed ones are anchored by bands in teh molars (which youcant really see) and then can be achored in the front on occlusal rests if you do not want to show any metal.

There are also removable expanders -- some made out of metal (croazats) or acrylic -- swartz or transverse.

There are probably thousands of different expanders
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News