Elastics are killing me!!!!!!!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

felicia

Elastics are killing me!!!!!!!!!

#1 Post by felicia »

I have a high tolerance to pain, but last night I was READY to have my braces removed. I got my elastics yesterday, and THEY HURT REALLY BAD!!! Is it normal to have so much pain from elastics? I could not sleep all night. Elastics are supposed to fix the bite, my bite felt OK, and I understand that sometimes things go worst before they get better, but yesterday my bite was so off after only a couple of hours of wearing elastics.
I am supposed to wear them for 4 weeks and then go back for my appointment.
I remember the pain I had when I first got the braces in (I was in pain for about a week), it was the same after every time I had my wire changed.
My question to anyone who experienced elastics: AM I GONNA BE IN PAIN FOR A WEEK OR SO, OR WILL IT HURT FOR THE WHOLE 4 WEEKS UNTIL MY NEXT APPOINTMENT?
Can anyone help me with some answers?
P.S. I heard the doctor say to the assistant to give me the lightest (or the least strong) elastics. She gave me: SH4 Elastics 4mm (3/16'') Super Heavy 6 oz. GAC INTERNATIONAL THAILAND........I really don't know what this mean...and if I had any idea about the pain that was coming, I would have asked more questions.

peach

#2 Post by peach »

Hi Felicia...so sorry to read that ur in pain. I can't really say how long ull feel like this because everyone is different. I think I was uncomfortable for about the first two or three days but if u typically experience pain for a week after an adjustment then that might be what u should expect. I got use to mine and didn't have any problems for the rest of the time I had to wear them. I think I did have pain again when I was told to double up but that went away too. Don't worry..ull adjust too. Try taking some advil. That helped me. Also, u mentioned ur bite feeling off. Its changing. There's been quit a few times where I was bitting my cheeks like crazy then the it would stop. Ur teeth are just working themselves into the right position. I know it stinks but just hang in there! Believe it or not, it does get better:)

Snowglobe32

#3 Post by Snowglobe32 »

Ugh....at my last adjustment, the ortho said he wanted to start me on elastics. The assistant asked if I would be moving to a new wire and he said no. So, I am assuming in about 2 weeks, I will have elastics also. I hope it isn't as bad as I have read.

Did you try any asprin/ibuprophen?

How about a hot water bottle...will this help? Anyone know?

felicia

#4 Post by felicia »

No, I did not take anything for pain...but I will tonight. Up until now I did not take any pain pills, and I am in braces for almost 5 months now. Honestly, I did not expect this kind of pain from elastics.
Peach, thank you for encouragements. If it's only gonna last a week then I can handle it.

peach

#5 Post by peach »

Hey felicia. I just remembered something else that might help out w/ the pain. Last time I went to an adjustment, the ortho assistant recommended rubbing some orajel or anbesol on my gums when I was feeling a little pain or discomfort. She said that when she had braces, she would give herself little gum massages w/ orajel and it would help. I had always used it for cheek irritation from my brackets but after she recommended it, I decided to use it one night when my front teeth were killin me. I put some anbesol on a q-tip and rubbed it all around my gums...It numbed me up and help relieve some of the discomfort until the advil kicked in.

Bekah

#6 Post by Bekah »

I am in class 2 elastics and they put an extra hook on my wire so that they go between my front teeth and the second ones ( I know you would think I would know the name right?)

Anyways, I have been in them for several months and can say I was uncomfortable for a couple of days. After that, they only hurt when I don't wear them for a while. Meaning that if I eat and leave them out for a few hours my teeth feel sore again! So I just wear them all the time and haven't hurt as bad.
2 Years 4 months 3 weeks and 4 days in full metal braces!

Click on "WWW" for my braces story!

Kalter

My elastics

#7 Post by Kalter »

I got elastics today.They are causing a great deal of discomfort. My orthodontist gave me 6 1/2 oz. size 1/8" 3.2mm, HEAVY. I read that it is possible to get weaker bands, but depending on the gaps on the side of your teeth, they will have to give you stronger ones in order to work more effectively. My elastics go on in the back, not the first hook in the back though. The second hook, and the third hook on top, same with the bottom. It creates a tiny box shape. I also got a powerchain on the top and bottom of my teeth. Does anyone know how to help with the pain? I can barely open my mouth, the elastics can't even open up my mouth to half an inch, they are really tight. Does having the powerchain double the pain in my mouth? Even my two front teeth hurt, and nothing but the powerchain is on them. My dad said that I had to toughen up, but it's extremely difficult! I don't want to ask him and my mom for painkillers, because I think that will annoy him. So, as I said, does anyone know how to treat the pain? Please reply, my mouth is killing me!

assertives

Re: Elastics are killing me!!!!!!!!!

#8 Post by assertives »

Kalter wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:39 pm I got elastics today.They are causing a great deal of discomfort. My orthodontist gave me 6 1/2 oz. size 1/8" 3.2mm, HEAVY. I read that it is possible to get weaker bands, but depending on the gaps on the side of your teeth, they will have to give you stronger ones in order to work more effectively. My elastics go on in the back, not the first hook in the back though. The second hook, and the third hook on top, same with the bottom. It creates a tiny box shape. I also got a powerchain on the top and bottom of my teeth. Does anyone know how to help with the pain? I can barely open my mouth, the elastics can't even open up my mouth to half an inch, they are really tight. Does having the powerchain double the pain in my mouth? Even my two front teeth hurt, and nothing but the powerchain is on them. My dad said that I had to toughen up, but it's extremely difficult! I don't want to ask him and my mom for painkillers, because I think that will annoy him. So, as I said, does anyone know how to treat the pain? Please reply, my mouth is killing me!
Try warm salt water rinses.

EmilyTravels

#9 Post by EmilyTravels »

Give it a few days -- the soreness will diminish a lot. I just started with "heavy" elastics in a triangle configuration on both sides to close up my bite this past Monday. I've been sore but not excruciating. And each day has been less painful than the one before. I am sure the powerchain increases your discomfort. I would take ibuprofen for a couple of days, if I were you, and I expect by the end of the first week, you'll find that you're not nearly so sore -- hope so!

Lovespain5

Re: My elastics

#10 Post by Lovespain5 »

Kalter wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:39 pm I got elastics today.They are causing a great deal of discomfort. My orthodontist gave me 6 1/2 oz. size 1/8" 3.2mm, HEAVY. I read that it is possible to get weaker bands, but depending on the gaps on the side of your teeth, they will have to give you stronger ones in order to work more effectively. My elastics go on in the back, not the first hook in the back though. The second hook, and the third hook on top, same with the bottom. It creates a tiny box shape. I also got a powerchain on the top and bottom of my teeth. Does anyone know how to help with the pain? I can barely open my mouth, the elastics can't even open up my mouth to half an inch, they are really tight. Does having the powerchain double the pain in my mouth? Even my two front teeth hurt, and nothing but the powerchain is on them. My dad said that I had to toughen up, but it's extremely difficult! I don't want to ask him and my mom for painkillers, because I think that will annoy him. So, as I said, does anyone know how to treat the pain? Please reply, my mouth is killing me!
About the elastics that´s true. Usually the strenght is more important if the gaps are bigger. I was treated with my 4 first premolars extracted because of bimax protrusion and to close the gaps, I always had to wear elastics with Extra-Heavy strenght, for 18 months. Impossible to live the first week after adjustment without painkillers. Like you, I could hardly open my mouth as well as I had powerchains which probably doubled the pain as you say.
:?:-#):mrgreen:

Personwithbraces

#11 Post by Personwithbraces »

I got elastics a while ago (1/4” medium 6.4mm) but yesterday got them switched to (3/16” Heavy 4.7mm) and im supposed to wear them all the time beside eating and brushing my teeth. And they hurt more than getting my actual braces! And I can’t sleep because it’s so uncomfortable! I’ve taking Tylenol and it doesn’t seem to help!

justwrong

#12 Post by justwrong »

I remember the first time i had braces elastics were probably the most painful thing about it. now i have braces again with extractions and i’m not looking forward to the pain of the heavy duty ones :l