Teeth naturally moving themselves after braces removal?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pearls

Teeth naturally moving themselves after braces removal?

#1 Post by pearls »

Hey bracefaces!

I am due to get my braces removed in 4 weeks time. For about 8 months I have been having real issues with two of my teeth in particular, my lower right canine and lower right premolar? (next to canine). The premolar just sits SO high, so when I bite together, it hits my upper teeth the most, making my bite feel uneven. My lower canine is constantly hitting my upper right lateral when I speak or eat and it just absolutely drives me nuts to the point of utter frustration. I can't even describe how it makes me feel!

I am constantly telling my ortho that these teeth are really bothering me. It even came to the point where I was due to get my braces removed in May 2009 before I went overseas for 5 months, however the other ortho in the office agreed that we should keep the braces on so the lower teeth could be sorted out. However NOTHING has been done. And now with my removal of braces fast approaching I am getting more and more anxious.

I told my ortho on Tuesday how these teeth were bothering me, and he is 99% confident that those teeth "will find a move around and find a position themselves that is comfortable once the braces are removed". I just think it's so bizarre that he's relying on chance that the teeth will retreat lower into the gum where they should be. I mean, while I have the braces on, don't you think it's easier for him to position them where they should be? He has noticed the position, yet doesn't do anything about it!

I'm not sure whether to get a 2nd opinion at a different ortho or not. My ortho clearly isn't going to do anything about it, and I would just hate to have an uncomfortable bit, and maybe later down the track have to demand to be rebraced or something.

I've tried to show you how the teeth are higher on the lower right hand side (left on the photo). It doesn't show it very clearly, but you sort of get the idea.

What do you think I should do? Do you think I should just trust him and hope my teeth settle back down?

Has anyone experienced movement of their teeth into a better position after braces removal?

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated as (I know it sounds pety) but I'm losing sleep over this :cry:

Take care,

Pearls
Spacers in: 9/4/2008
Braces on:16/4/2008
Sentanced for: 18 months
Metal upper and lowers

fosterp

#2 Post by fosterp »

I have no experience with the issue but I guess I would just throw in you are not crazy and I can see what you are talking about. It looks like the canine is bracketed a little bit lower compared to the canine on your left side, which would cause it to erupt a little bit higher since the wire wants to straighten itself. What I think is interesting though is how the wire is a little bent for the canine on your right as if its trying to pull that one down. Is that a purposeful bending or is that tooth going to be moving down?

Teeth sometimes do correct themselves to a more stable bite but the way in which they will do that I do not think is always predictable. I mean if teeth always moved into their ideal positions then none of us would be needing braces in the first place!

pearls

#3 Post by pearls »

Thanks for your reply.

About that wire bend.. I have no idea why it's there or what it's doing. My ortho doesn't mention why he's doing certain things, even though I show a clear interest in what he's doing.

All I know is that that canine and the pre molar haven't moved for a long time and won't be moving whilst in braces either. I just want them to be pushed back into the gum a little bit where I feel like they belong!

I'm actually really anxious about those teeth not retracting back :(
Spacers in: 9/4/2008
Braces on:16/4/2008
Sentanced for: 18 months
Metal upper and lowers