Finishing Phase??????

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lovelyleo

Finishing Phase??????

#1 Post by lovelyleo »

This snowy morning I went to the ortho for an adjustment. The only thing I expected was to get an elastic added to my right side. I have been doing one on my left side for about three and a half months now religously. My ortho was very happy that I have been compliant. She said that at my next appointment in April that I would be in the finishing phase of treatment and that she would polish my teeth to double check everything. I would like to know exactly what is the finishing phase and this polishing? Will it hurt? Should this be the time for me to address any other issues I may have?

Debrace DAY Monday June 14th!!!!
24-30 month estimated treatment time

nikyote

#2 Post by nikyote »

when i was in the finishing phase my ortho gave me more elastics and powerchains new wires and checked to see if he needed to reposition any brackets. my teeth were also polished. This phase didnt last long for me. They started it in november and i was supposed to get them off next month but last tuesday they surprised me and took them off at what was supposed to be my last adjustment before they came off.

Treatment time 18-24 months
Brace free 2-9-10 after 19 months

MrMetalMouth1029

Re: Finishing Phase??????

#3 Post by MrMetalMouth1029 »

lovelyleo wrote:This snowy morning I went to the ortho for an adjustment. The only thing I expected was to get an elastic added to my right side. I have been doing one on my left side for about three and a half months now religously. My ortho was very happy that I have been compliant. She said that at my next appointment in April that I would be in the finishing phase of treatment and that she would polish my teeth to double check everything. I would like to know exactly what is the finishing phase and this polishing? Will it hurt? Should this be the time for me to address any other issues I may have?
It sounds like you're in what my orthodontist called the pre-debanding appt. I just had mine last week. They took a new x-ray of my teeth and checked my teeth pretty extensively to see if anything needed to be taken care of. I am fortunate to say that I didn't get elastics as I feared, so I will never (hopefully) know what the pain is like...I've heard it's kinda bad! Anyway, the next appointment is the debanding! That morning, the braces come out and they mold my teeth for the retainers. That afternoon, I get my retainers. I'm a month away from eating popcorn again, and your time is coming soon too :)
Braced (upper and lower): 10/29/08
Debraced: 3/17/10
Now sportin' a permanent bottom retainer
Alternate clear retainers every 12 hours

lovelyleo

#4 Post by lovelyleo »

WOW! I'm super excited! It seems like I have had braces for forever. I couldn't imagine life without them. I just hope all is said and done before my 26th birthday in August. I would be extremely happy to have them off in July. My mouth is watering just thinking about eating corn on the cob and BBQ ribs. Yummy!

Debrace DAY Monday June 14th!!!!
24-30 month estimated treatment time