Why no male Ortho assistants?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

leftyme

Why no male Ortho assistants?

#1 Post by leftyme »

Have you ever had a male Ortho assistant? I met with several offices before choosing mine and all the assistants in the offices were women. Wonder why it's such a gender specific job?

tyeomans

#2 Post by tyeomans »

My ortho hasn't had any male assistants. I never even thought about that!

appygirl82

#3 Post by appygirl82 »

Same with mine! All female! Weird!

thisisme

#4 Post by thisisme »

I just think it's a job not many males are interested in, therefore you mostly see females.

UGHBRACES

#5 Post by UGHBRACES »

I guess iits like nursing where for the most part, males just aren't interested in it

drrick

#6 Post by drrick »

There are some male assistants of course but predominantly female assistants.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

leftyme

#7 Post by leftyme »

UGHBRACES wrote:I guess iits like nursing where for the most part, males just aren't interested in it
There are tons and tons of male nurses now though. I've had some male medical assistants, although there are more women doing that job too but I don't think I've ever had a male dental assistant or hygienist.

UGHBRACES

#8 Post by UGHBRACES »

leftyme wrote:
UGHBRACES wrote:I guess iits like nursing where for the most part, males just aren't interested in it
There are tons and tons of male nurses now though. I've had some male medical assistants, although there are more women doing that job too but I don't think I've ever had a male dental assistant or hygienist.
There are not tons and tons of male nurses. Of course male nurses are out there but i rarely see any. A quick google search told me that only 6% of nurses in the US are male which is what i expected.

I'd bet male Orthodontists assistants make up about the same percentage.

leftyme

#9 Post by leftyme »

UGHBRACES wrote:
leftyme wrote:
There are not tons and tons of male nurses. Of course male nurses are out there but i rarely see any. A quick google search told me that only 6% of nurses in the US are male which is what i expected.

I'd bet male Orthodontists assistants make up about the same percentage.
Strange maybe there are just more male nurses where I live because three out of my last four hospital visits I've had at least one male nurse.

theKurp

#10 Post by theKurp »

It's because men's hands are too big. :)

b

#11 Post by b »

that is en excellent response.
Spacers in Aug. '09
MARA without elbows on Aug/09
Braces on Nov. 20/09
Elbows for MARA in Feb. 25/10
Braces off August 26, 2010!
Essix Retainers

my story: http://archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=33571

socksy

#12 Post by socksy »

My ortho office has two male assistants and they are both great. The office is owned by two female orthodontists so maybe they prefer to have men to boss around. :wink:

clear Radiance brackets top and bottom

brendap27

#13 Post by brendap27 »

At my former dentist's office (not my current OD), the dentist was male and so was the hygienist. The dentist retired and a young woman took over the practice, but the male hygienist stayed on with her.