I couldn't hit reply fast enough! I got braced when I was 25....and I got pregnant 7 months later. I had braces during my ENTIRE pregnancy and did not get them off until my lil bundle of joy was 8 MONTHS!
Okay here is a few things....
1. Pregnancy did not affect my treatment - AT ALL. The only thing I was not able to do was my progress XRays. (Typically done half way through treatment) My ortho was not concerned by this. Xrays are not an issue when you are pregnant and it is often approved by your Dr. The issue is the new digital panoramic XRays which are different than standard XRays and orthos will often NOT allow you to do this type of XRay when pregnant.
2. Im not gonna lie, I felt like ****. I did not feel pretty, I felt awkward. I wanted to be that smiling, happy, pretty pregnant woman but all I felt like was "teen mom". This was made worse by the acne my pregnancy caused. I got over it, and it was no big deal...but it was a little annoying and there were many days where I was not leaving the house.
3. Labor/delivery photos are hilarious with my braces on. (Nuff said)
4. Baby was SUPER interested in my braces. I got them off when baby turned 8 months. Now the lil' one is super obsessed with my teeth. Touching them often and saying "Teeth" LOL - so needless to say, they were definitely noticed....even by a baby.
5. I noticed NO change in my treatment time. I was originally told 18-24 months. I had my braces on for 28 months. I was super religious about my elastics, hygiene, etc...my conclusion is pregnancy does NOT speed up orthodontic treatment
6. Increase in calcium deposits around your brackets during treatment when pregnant. You know that gross white stuff that builds up around your brackets...usually when people do not clean them often...well this happens all the time when you are pregnant. Ortho said it was common and just a symptom of all the "Extras" us pregnant ladies produce...nice!
Hope this helps!
Regardless, just because I felt awkward some days - does not mean that I was not still glowing and happy..but honestly speaking, and its taking a lot to say this out loud....I DO feel like my braces took away a little bit from my pregnancy...but thats just me...and my hormones.
Good luck Mama! Keep us posted!