Second opinion?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BracketRacket

Second opinion?

#1 Post by BracketRacket »

So against my better judgment, I was very happy with the first ortho I consulted with (he was recommended by my dentist, the office seems very nice, he was very thorough, the price seemed reasonable, they're local, etc.) and I had pretty much decided that I was going to stick with him and not seek any other opinions.

I opted to have records done that day, and then went back weeks later for my official consult. At that consult, he basically said that I needed SARPE done, and that treating me without it would do more harm than good in the long run, since it would straighten my teeth, but not fix the bite issues that are causing wear. In fact, he pretty much said that he would not treat me without having the surgery done.

I'm ready to consult with an OS, and move forward, but my mom (I'm 24 and have my own insurance, etc., but live at home) is unhappy (more than unhappy, and she's being a bit unreasonable in other regards, but part of me knows she's right on this one) and wants me to seek a second opinion. I know people consult with multiple orthos and that it's recommended, and this is probably a silly question, but what do I do? I know I should get an independent consult (not say "here's what the other ortho said I need"), but do I tell that that it's a second opinion? If they agree with the first, how do I tell them that I'm not going with them? This is probably just me, but I hate dealing with things like this, like people thinking I'm second-guessing them, or that they're not my first choice, etc. :oops:

evilnel

#2 Post by evilnel »

I went to a couple orthos and didn't mention the others I had been to. I wanted to compare their treatment plans, but didn't feel it necessary to let them know. I told them I'd get back to them after I had thought about it, and then either let them know if I would or wouldn't be doing treatment with them.

macgirl4ever

Records give the real pictures

#3 Post by macgirl4ever »

Mothers have a horrible way of being right, so I'd trust your mom on this one. You may very well end up with your original ortho, but at least she (and you) have peace of mind.

One possible issue, however, is that you may go to consultations where surgery is not discussed until after the ortho has done x-rays and molds. From your post it seems as though your ortho didn't realize that would be a part of your treatment until after she studied your chart at length.

At my first consult, the ortho only looked at my teeth whereas at the others they took x-rays during the consultation which probably have them a little better insight.

I think getting other opinions is a good thing. I guess my only point is that other orthos might not see that you need surgery either until after they've done molds, pictures, etc which will cost you yet another records fee and place you exactly where you are. Perhaps you could ask to take a copy your records or have them sent to another ortho (especially if you paid for them). Like another person said before, orthos know that patients 'shop around' and if your ortho is that confident that you need surgery, my guess is the others will too.
Braced: 20 months March 2009-November 2010

Snowglobe32

#4 Post by Snowglobe32 »

I would recommend getting another opinion. They might not ask you if you have been to anyone else but how you answer may benefit you.

In my case, I had a consult probably a year and a half before I had my consult with the ortho who is now treating me. The first consult estimate and treatment plan was not for me. They wanted to extract teeth, separate my upper arch to make it wider, and the cost was well over $13,000. I was in college and working part time so that wasn't something I could do. The braces alone, without the surgery, would have been $9,000, still not something I could have done.

As for my current ortho, his plan did not include extractions or surgery and the price was reasonable. He did not charge me for the molds/x-rays or the consultation because he knew I had gone to someone previously (I can't recall if he asked when it was) and that I had already paid those fees. He said in this economy he didn't want me to have to spend money that I had already spent. Plus, he didn't want to use the x-rays/molds from the first ortho. I saved about $300.00 so to me it was very much appreciated and I am glad I told them this wasn't my first consult.

As for you, definitely get another opinion. If you tell them you already had the molds/xrays done, they might be able to use those, that is if the first ortho will let them.

Most ortho's understand that people get second opinions and the treatment plans may differ. You are just looking out for yourself and that is how it should be. After the time and money you will be spending, you want to be happy.

Look at it this way, you wouldn't marry the first girl/guy that you met, would you? Getting consults and second opinions is like dating...see what your options are and go with the best one for you.

Keep us posted.

BracketRacket

#5 Post by BracketRacket »

Thanks guys.

I'm actually thinking of trying to sit down with my dentist (who has noted some issues and referred me to the ortho in the first place), to discuss what he said, and also to ask if there is anyone else that she recommends for a second opinion. Does this sound reasonable or should I go with more of an ask friends/research online/head to the phonebook kind of approach to find someoe else?

sauerkraut

#6 Post by sauerkraut »

I was in exactly the same position as you and I did just what you've suggested -- went for a second opinion with another ortho also recommended by my dentist. No hard feelings and no harm done.

In my case it turned out pretty simple because they both came up with much the same treatment plan. So I went back to the first guy because I "clicked" better with him and his staff. Plus his practice (American = office?) is much easier to get to!
SARPE: Sept 2007
Braced: May 2008
BSSO: Nov 2010
Debraced: March 2011

sauerkraut

#7 Post by sauerkraut »

PS I should add: Not EXACTLY the same position because sadly I don't have the nagging mum (she'd certainly worry about me if she were around!) But I'm old enough now to be turning into me own mum, so it comes to the same thing :lol:
SARPE: Sept 2007
Braced: May 2008
BSSO: Nov 2010
Debraced: March 2011

daffodil

#8 Post by daffodil »

I would ask the dentist for another recommendation, or else ask around if you know anyone else who's had braces. A second or third opinion is a good idea. I've consulted with four orthodontists (my childhood orthodontist and three as an adult) and I've seen several dentists over the years because I've moved a lot. Every single dentist and every orthodontist except for one has told me that I orthognathic surgery --if I'd only one seen that one contrarian orthodontist, I might not have known that surgery was necessary!

socksy

#9 Post by socksy »

I think it is perfectly normal to seek other opinions. It seems like that's what MOST people do - I think it is less common to just go with the first ortho you see. I had consultations with five orthos before I chose mine. Each one had different treatment plans and two said I absolutely, positively had to have jaw surgery and there was no other way. I couldn't afford surgery so I kept looking. I'm so glad I did - my teeth already look incredible and my bite has improved, although it's not perfect and never will be. Many orthodontists (and doctors, I've found) have an attitude like "it's my way or the highway" and they don't want to settle for anything less than what they consider perfection. I found an orthodontist who would compromise somewhat on my treatment, in terms of accepting that I wouldn't have a perfect bite because I couldn't have surgery, and still improve the look of my teeth immensely.

clear Radiance brackets top and bottom

BracketRacket

#10 Post by BracketRacket »

Thanks guys...going to see my dentist tomorrow to talk things over with her, ask her for another referral and get a semi-ouchy tooth checked out (wish me luck :evil: ).

Anything specific I should be asking? I'm thinking of asking about any other similar patients she's had and what they ultimately decided to do.

BracketRacket

#11 Post by BracketRacket »

And just a small update -- having a consult with the OS the ortho recommended on the 22nd -- so I'm sure I'll have lots of questions coming up. Thanks for putting up with me!

BracketRacket

#12 Post by BracketRacket »

My dentist seemed to agree with the orthos findings, and also mentioned that all of the others she would refer me to work with the same OS. She suggested I do the consult with him, and then go from there.

I posted some pics here http://archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.p ... 939#329939 (try not to run away screaming please!)

BracketRacket

#13 Post by BracketRacket »

Is there any reason why I should do another consult before I see the OS? I don't think the order should make any difference, but is there anything I'm overlooking? Thanks again!

fosterp

#14 Post by fosterp »

Your crossbite is pretty severe and I don't think could come close to an acceptable compromised result with braces alone. Mild cases can sometimes be corrected with braces alone with elastics and sometimes an expansion appliance which gives maybe a couple mm or so, but you need a lot more than a couple mm.

im not a doctor though so my opinion doesn't hold much weight, just my own findings from reading peoples experience with surgical and non surgical arch expansion