'Rotating' upper molar, how long for treatment?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tazunemono

'Rotating' upper molar, how long for treatment?

#1 Post by tazunemono »

My ortho is in the process of rotating one of my upper left molars. Since childhood, it has been rotated 90 deg. It's the tooth next to the one with the molar band on it. Sequence of events thus far:

- Aug. '09 - bracket placed on forward edge of tooth, and thin archwire (0.014?) threaded to apply force to rotate
- Dec. '09 - larger archwire fitted (0.018)
- Jan. '10 - two springs (one push, one pull) added (caused INTENSE migraine, was treating with Treximet and Ibuprofen)
- Jan. '10 - one spring taken off due to pain in affected molar (kept the push spring)

How long is this 'rotating' process supposed to take?

I don't have much pain since he took off the other spring. My ortho said that he cannot put on a power chain on my top teeth until the tooth is rotated. I have power chains and a square wire (0.020?) on the bottom, and my teeth have moved a great deal since he put these on. I want the same progress on my top teeth, and I hate that a rotated molar is slowing my treatment down![/list][/list]

tazunemono

#2 Post by tazunemono »

3 weeks later, I have a pull spring installed, and a single powerchain holding the spring in place. Not much movement yet! I hope this rotation process doesn't take too long!

kilikena311

#3 Post by kilikena311 »

I've read many threads on here about how long it takes for various teeth to rotate, and it seems like it really just depends on each individual. Everyone's teeth move at a different rate. It'll come around, just be patient with it. :)

socksy

#4 Post by socksy »

Both my lower canines needed to be rotated, about 45 degrees, and I had a similar setup to what you described, with the springs, etc. It took at least four months to get them turned. It was a slow process and one re-rotated after it had been turned and we had to start over on that side. Good luck with your situation!

clear Radiance brackets top and bottom

braceface418

#5 Post by braceface418 »

I bet molars are particularly (and painfully) slow due to all of those roots. My canines took a few months and they only have a single root (I think). Molars can have three or four.

1fifthmiles

#6 Post by 1fifthmiles »

I think i also need to rotate one of my molars. It is my first molar.
However, my ortho didnt use spring, she used a power chain and attached it from my first molar to the 2nd molar(the one with band) Is the power chain used to rotate it or to close the gap inbetween my molars? As far as i know, power chain is used to close gaps. But, there isnt any gaps between my molars. I compared my first molar at the left(with the power chain) and the first molar at the right. it seems that the first molar at the left is rotate. Thus, is it true that powerchains also can rotate the molar?

1fifthmiles

#7 Post by 1fifthmiles »

HOHO! my next adjustment is on 10 july. and its actually just 2 and a half week since my previous appointment when my ortho added my power chain. the molar did rotate with the help of power chain! :)