Couple of odd questions....

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BracketRacket

Couple of odd questions....

#1 Post by BracketRacket »

Well, not too odd, but I go back for my consult Thursday (had records and whatnot taken 5 weeks ago) and all sorts of random things keep popping up -- I'll try to keep them all in one thread!

One of the assistants mentioned that they "always" do ceramic brackets on the front top teeth. I assume that is only for adults and because they feel they are less visible. Assuming that the type of bracket will have no effect on my treatment plan (I know everyone is different and I do have to wait and see what my plan even will be) would it be weird to ask for metal instead?

No offense to anyone here (and different things look better on different people), but I just don't like the way ceramic tends to look, plus I know I'd hate staining clear ligs (if I even use them!) and would try to go with darker colors anyway to try to avoid it. I don't want to offend them or mess with any typical plan, but I just don't see being happy with ceramic.

Also, I've noticed a sensitivity to a certain type of toothpaste. I started using Crest Whiting Expressions in cinnamon (not crazy about mint, how weird am I :oops: ?) and it seems to irritate the outside of my mouth. I would think if it were a true allergy, the inside of my mouth and gums would react, but it's just the outside that gets a bit pink (first I thought the color was just staining) and "weird" feeling. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?

Thanks guys!

Bekah

#2 Post by Bekah »

It is funny that you ask that one! My orthodontist told me that they "always" do ceramic for adults! I went home and watched myself talk and noticed that you could see the bottoms anyway and figured that if I was going to do it, I wanted to not try and hide it.

I asked for all metal! The ortho actually asked me about 5 months ago to "refresh his memory" as to why I chose all metal. I am happy with my decision, from what I saw, the metal brackets are lower profile. But I have not had ceramic so I am no expert!
2 Years 4 months 3 weeks and 4 days in full metal braces!

Click on "WWW" for my braces story!

felicia

#3 Post by felicia »

BracketRacket, if the fear of getting your ligs stained keeps you from getting ceramic braces, you could get self ligating ceramic braces... they have no ligs.

wycket

#4 Post by wycket »

Hello! I have Clarity SL on my uppers, so no ligs here! I have Damon Q (also self-ligating) on my lowers due to their lower profile. I am truly not confident enough to pull off all-metal, but congratulate you for doing so! :thumbsup: My 2 cents: choose whatever you think will work best for YOU, and don't worry about being 'wierd'! Good luck with your decision, and your upcoming treatment!

Snowglobe32

#5 Post by Snowglobe32 »

I have ceramic on my upper six, it looks like I am wearing a retainer and most times, people don't even know I have braces. A co-worker asked me a few weeks ago what happened to my braces...she thought I had them off for some reason.

My ortho placed the metals low on my bottom teeth and you can not see the brackets when I speak so it isn't so bad. My ortho does this combination on adults, he uses self litigating brackets so there is no worry about staining. I asked him why not just do all metal and he said I wouldn't like it. He was right, like someone else said, I am not confident enough to go all metal. Plus, the self litigating metals are simply a full metal square, if you will. There is no spaces, just metal and in my opinion they look different than metals that have ligs. I would have prefered metal brackets that need ligs. I open my mouth and I see too much metal. I hate the metals but luckily, you can't really see them.

It really is a personal preference and your ortho will do what you ask for. Whether you use metal or ceramic brackets, will not have any effect on your treatment plan.

Ceramic/metal brackets will look different depending on what brand is used, my suggestion is while you are there for your consult, ask to see some of the patients. This way you can see what they have and maybe ask their opinion. It really makes a difference when you see what the actual brackets your ortho uses, look like on real people. I think of all the pictures on this website, I have seen one or two people who have the same ceramic brackets on top, like I do. So, just from looking at photos on a webpage, you may not get a good idea of what they could look like.
If it is anything like my ortho's office, there will be plenty of human examples for you to look at. :D

Another thing I like about my ceramics, is that I get a better idea of what my teeth look like as they are changing, with the metals I can't really tell.

As for the toothpaste, the cinnamon might just be too harsh for you. I would stop using it if it continues to give you problems. I have problems with Listerine mouthwash sometimes so I use ACT regularly now. Ask your ortho if you should be using whitening while in braces, some people have been told not to use whitening toothpaste while some have been told it doesn't make a difference.

Good luck and keep us posted.

BracketRacket

#6 Post by BracketRacket »

Thanks guys...lots to think about.

With the ceramic, it's not just the staining ligs that bug me, I feel like people see them and at least with metal they go "oh, braces" whereas with the clearer kinds, they know something's there, they're just not sure what, they try to figure it out, etc...but I know we think a lot more about our teeth than other people do, too, so I'm sure that's blowing it out of proportion.

And some small silly part of me is actually looking forward to playing with different colors if I can -- I figure if they are going to be there, I should at least get to have a bit of fun with them! :wink:

I'm sure once I get all the details I'll have "bigger fish to fry" :lol: It's funny because I really am doing this for functional reasons vs. aesthetics, yet one of the things that I've been thinking about is what the braces themselves will look like. :oops: Now I sound all shallow, huh? :lol:

mikesmile

#7 Post by mikesmile »

Hi BrackerRacket :D

My ortho assumed I wanted ceramic, but I told him I wanted metal. No offense, like you said earlier, to any of you folks with ceramic. The ortho shouldn't assume either. I've seen ceramic brackets on people-up close, and they don't seem all that discreet to me. Personally, I just wanted it to be more obvious what they are. Probably either way, the most self consious part is in the beginning when you first get them on. Good Luck with your choices!

Bekah

#8 Post by Bekah »

mikesmile wrote:Hi BrackerRacket :D

My ortho assumed I wanted ceramic, but I told him I wanted metal. No offense, like you said earlier, to any of you folks with ceramic. The ortho shouldn't assume either. I've seen ceramic brackets on people-up close, and they don't seem all that discreet to me. Personally, I just wanted it to be more obvious what they are. Probably either way, the most self consious part is in the beginning when you first get them on. Good Luck with your choices!

Exactly!! I am letting my 8 year old pic what color I get next time! She is so excited because she says I always pic black or blue and am "boring"!
2 Years 4 months 3 weeks and 4 days in full metal braces!

Click on "WWW" for my braces story!

uvraise

#9 Post by uvraise »

I have full metal top and bottom. I'm a 40 year old male and work construction, so you can imagine the ball busting that goes on. I have no regrets about getting all metal. Ceramics will never match your natural tooth color exactly. I don't know how true it is , but I have heard that ceramics prolong your treatment. I know a couple of people with ceramics and your right, it takes a minute to realize whats on their teeth. When I smile there's no mistaken the metal ( with silver ligs). So I guess it comes to personal choice.
I would speak with your ortho to weigh the pros and cons of both so you can make an informed decision!
Hope that helps!
JOHN

tsmurfenator

#10 Post by tsmurfenator »

BracketRacket wrote:Thanks guys...lots to think about.

With the ceramic, it's not just the staining ligs that bug me, I feel like people see them and at least with metal they go "oh, braces" whereas with the clearer kinds, they know something's there, they're just not sure what, they try to figure it out, etc...
This is precisely why I prefer metal to ceramic, they are just so unambiguous. With all of the other things that braces cause (trouble eating, flossing, talking, sores etc...) I think people will be much more understanding, well duh you have braces, where as with the other types they will attract more attention and weird looks if something goes wrong. I think metal mini brackets with grey ligatures look outstanding at least on me, and cover up all the imperfections on my teeth.

I did have Invisalign a while back and I felt more self-conscious than with metal braces because I didn't want anybody to notice them at all, with metal braces there is no hiding. Honestly a lot of the people I see checking out Invisalign linguals etc. should be more self-conscious about NOT having braces than having them.

When I went to my ortho consult she showed me the different types of brackets and said, "We recommend metal". That was what I was planning on anyways and it was never a question for me. Of course for the first 33 years of my life I was too self-conscious of having any braces at all so I sympathize with others who are in that situation.
34 y/o guy with full metal brackets and molar bands since 12/16/2009.
1st Adjustment + secondary molar bands 1/23/2010.
2nd Adjustment 3/27/2010.
3rd Adjustment 5/1/2010.
4th Adjustment 6/11/2010.
5th Adjustment 9/29/2010.
6th Adjustment 2/8/2011.

MrMetalMouth1029

#11 Post by MrMetalMouth1029 »

I have all metal. The word ceramic never came up in my treatment plan. However, my aunt was rebraced (she had braces when she was in her early 20s but was told that she would have to get them back on for about 2 years), and she's got half ceramic/half metal. I suppose the ceramics would have been more beneficial for her case. That was a pretty good question because now I wonder what the requirements are for ceramics and the requirements for metal. I never really ask a lot of questions at the ortho's office...I am too trusting, lol
Braced (upper and lower): 10/29/08
Debraced: 3/17/10
Now sportin' a permanent bottom retainer
Alternate clear retainers every 12 hours

Ejvind

#12 Post by Ejvind »

After my opinion there is no reason attempting to hide the braces. I am proud of my metal braces with the blue elastics and I have entirely had positive comments

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/AF1 ... 091230.jpg

Ejvind

#13 Post by Ejvind »

Sorry, the adress for the picture was wrong. The correct adress is:

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af1 ... 091230.jpg

Bellalalala

#14 Post by Bellalalala »

I, like many people on this thread, also dislike the look of ceramic braces.

I'm a loud-and-proud braces wearer, and I especially love flashing a bug metal-mouth smile at complete metal-mouth stranger and seeing them beam back at me.

I actually have Invisalign on the top because I couldn't have brackets attached to my ceramic crowns on my two front teeth.
I almost regret that my metal braces aren't *more* visible. My fiance thinks their incredibly cute, and I wear them with great pride!

Do what's right for you, but rest assured that it's not weird to not want ceramic, it's just not the usual patient opinion.

randirocks

#15 Post by randirocks »

I'm actually kind of sad that I have self-ligating braces. I really wish I could get colored ligs. They are super cute. I know that cleaning my braces is easier but still!