Sick of having to justify braces!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Le

Sick of having to justify braces!

#1 Post by Le »

I've been in braces for 7 months now and am really happy with the progress that has already been made, and I have personally gotten over most of the embarrasment in letting people see I have braces.

But one thing that does bother me is the fact that I have had several occasions (usually with work ppl not friends!) where I have had to defend my choice to get braces.

I have been accused of just being vain, and of chasing the myth that we all have to look 'perfect' etc. etc. I usually say that I had to get them for medical reasons, and will need jaw surgery later which shuts ppl up. But was not the initial reason for wanting them.

Why should I have to defend trying to look better though??

Has anyone else encountered this kind of negativity?

smilesunset

#2 Post by smilesunset »

Wow, people can be so insensitive. I'm sorry to hear you've had to go through that. I actually have had the opposite experience -- a co-worker, when she noticed my braces, commented that a lot of people she knows seem to have jaw and bite issues and have to get braces later in life for medical reasons. "Oh no," I replied, "I'm fortunate not to have any issues like that. I just want straight teeth." It's as good a reason as any and it's your choice.

talisman

#3 Post by talisman »

I'm sick of a lot of people saying "why have you got braces? you don't need braces!"

Obviously i feel i do need braces, and the inevitable question "so how much are you paying for this?" comes up.

I find it quite insulting actually.

paperbackhead

#4 Post by paperbackhead »

My friend was telling me that braces was for cosmetic reasons. (she had braces herself) Obviously we want to look/feel better, that's one of the reasons we get them. But also, if we have an overbite, underbite, etc. we want those to be fixed too because teeth just get worse and worse and later on in your life you're going to regret not getting them. Don't know why some people don't understand. I'm going to tell my friend that if she says that next time lol

I'm also kind of sick of hearing "you don't even need braces, their not even that crooked." I mean, I know they're trying to be nice, but let's face it, if it's crooked it's crooked. I've been looking at my teeth for 18 yrs and I should know if it's not straight :wink:

karencoutts

#5 Post by karencoutts »

I could have written your post. I get it from everyone. So annoying and judgmental. Amazing how insensitive they can be. I try to ignore the ignorant, but I agree it can be challenging!

kittenmaisey

#6 Post by kittenmaisey »

It's kind of like enquiring why someone is walking around with really crooked teeth!!

And telling them so. I always tell people..especially older Bracites, how much I admire them for going through with the treatment.

What is so wrong with wanting attractive teeth, with a healthy bite to accompany it!

Laura1985

#7 Post by Laura1985 »

I got this a lot in the beginning as well. It was really annoying, and embarrassing that I felt like I had to justify myself. People said the same thing, "You don't need braces. Your teeth are not that bad. Why are you doing that to yourself?!"

Pshhh...now that I'm further into it and I look at old pictures, they were that bad! The process of being braced isn't a walk in the park, but it's worth it! I think sometimes people just think they are being polite by saying we don't need them. Regardless, it's a personal decision!
Upper: Damon3mx on 6/1/2009
Lower: 7/27/09
4 extractions done in May
Canine exposure eventually

Margie

#8 Post by Margie »

I completely agree with Laura1985! I feel the exact same way.

Aia

#9 Post by Aia »

Yeah! That's one of the reasons I hate having them!

When I first got them everyone was like "whyd you get braces?". Everyone just acts so weird about it. Which I guess I probably would too if someone I knew got braces. I guess people do think it's kind of a vanity thing.

I don't think people say "you don't even need them" just to say it. I'm sure most people don't really look and see imperfections that you might notice about yourself. I mean unless they were extremely crooked I'm sure no one even noticed. It's not like they're all up in your face inspecting your teeth lol.

But yeah, I don't even want to like run into anymore people that I know that I haven't seen since I got them because I don't feel like going through it again.

Bellalalala

#10 Post by Bellalalala »

Wow.

This is completely foreign to me.
I have never had anyone say anything other than be supportive or curious.

I can't even imagine people being that rude.
Maybe it's because I'm in Canada hahaha

evilnel

#11 Post by evilnel »

I also haven't had that experience. I had one person ask me 'why now' and I said 'couldn't afford it before.' That was the end of it. Most people either are like 'you got braces' and move on. It's really not that interesting, lol.

b

#12 Post by b »

Bellalalala wrote:Wow.

This is completely foreign to me.
I have never had anyone say anything other than be supportive or curious.

I can't even imagine people being that rude.
Maybe it's because I'm in Canada hahaha
my experience is exactly the same, and I live in Canda also.. hmm.. :p

Aia

#13 Post by Aia »

Bellalalala wrote: Maybe it's because I'm in Canada hahaha
Probably! People in america are rude!

Snowglobe32

#14 Post by Snowglobe32 »

You would be surprised at how many people, even close friends, were shocked when I told them I was getting braces. A friend who I haven't seen in over a year, just found out I got braces, she said, "I don't remember you needing to have braces..."
So, most people don't see what an ortho sees. I just tell them I am fixing a bite issue.

trillium

#15 Post by trillium »

I don't think that you really have to justify it to anyone but yourself. It's your choice.
04/09/09- Consult, 04/21/09- Spacers in, 04/23/09- Braces on, 06/01/09- Extractions
06/25/09- First Adjustment (new wire, but same size- all the way to bck molars- after extractions)
08/20/09- Second adjustment (same size wire but got Powerchains top and bottom!!!)
10/02/09- 3rd adj (same size wire, new powerchain, started elastics)
12/10/09- 4th adj. (same size wire, new powerchain, same elastics)
02/11/10- 5th adj.