Asymmetrical bottom arch? (w/ pic)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

NKovaci88

Asymmetrical bottom arch? (w/ pic)

#1 Post by NKovaci88 »

My bottom arch seems to be asymmetrical...one side is clearly shorter than the other. I've always noticed this, but last adjustment my ortho. put in a thicker wire and I feel it's gotten worse.

I placed a red line to show how it's uneven...

What can be done about this, if anything?[/img]

switchblades

#2 Post by switchblades »

That is something that could be either the teeth being uneven, or a jaw alignment issue. Mine was a little of both, but I opted away from surgery to correct my bite. I'd recommend talking to your ortho :)
Initial Consult: August 22nd, 2008
Upper Arch Bracketed: October 22nd, 2008
Lower Arch Bracketed: December 3rd, 2008
Debraced: October 15th, 2009

My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... sc&start=0

NKovaci88

#3 Post by NKovaci88 »

switchblades wrote:That is something that could be either the teeth being uneven, or a jaw alignment issue. Mine was a little of both, but I opted away from surgery to correct my bite. I'd recommend talking to your ortho :)
Hmm, I don't think it's a bite problem, but the teeth themselves that are uneven. I'm not sure how it happened, because I don't recall them being this lopsided before I had braces...

drrick

#4 Post by drrick »

or you never noticed it before.
One you really start looking at your teth (as everyone with braces does)you can really start to notice things. I would show your doc at your next visit and see what he/she has to say
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

mp921

#5 Post by mp921 »

I'm having the same problem. If mine was this way prior to surgery, I never noticed it. However, I'm assuming that's very possible considering I had an overbite and never really paid attention to my bottom teeth. I noticed it around 5 weeks post-surgery. It could have been there from the moment I woke up in recovery but I was wearing heavy elastics 24/7 and couldn't open my mouth enough to tell. I hate to think it's a result of surgery, which they tell me it isn't.

Is this correctable with orthodontics?
Braced 2nd Time: May 2008
Lower Jaw Advancement Surgery (BSSO): August 2009
One Miniplate & Four Screws Removed: October 2009

mp921

#6 Post by mp921 »

I just thought about something. I have a bit of an open bite on one side now which my ortho is correcting with elastics. My back molars aren't making contact on the right. I wonder if this is the reason.
Braced 2nd Time: May 2008
Lower Jaw Advancement Surgery (BSSO): August 2009
One Miniplate & Four Screws Removed: October 2009

drrick

#7 Post by drrick »

the elastics are correcting that -- probably all part of the plan
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

AngelaMCB

#8 Post by AngelaMCB »

I have the same issue with my teeth. Although I have a mid-line issue too right now. Your teeth are looking great other than that, though!