The opposite of receding gums? Anyone else have this?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

gapbegone

The opposite of receding gums? Anyone else have this?

#1 Post by gapbegone »

Hello all!!

I am new to this board! I have been braced for 10 weeks now. My main issue is my gums. I have very healthy teeth and gums, but since i have been braced, my gums seem to be coming down to meet the brackets. I have searched on here, but was unable to find too many of you with similar situation. I read a lot about receding gums, but mine are doing the opposite. In these 10 weeks, the gums have extended down (or up on the lowers) to the glue of the bracket. Have any of you experienced this? They seem healthy, never bleed, not swollen, just seem to be extending along the tooth more than usual. I asked the orthodontic assistant at my first adjustment 1 week ago, and she said not to worry, but see next time if it is still happening, mentioned a waterpick.

Just curious if any of you have experienced this? Thank you so much in advance!

thisisme

#2 Post by thisisme »

Yes! I have the exact same thing and have been wondering too!
I know it's normal for your gums to come down a little as the teeth move,
but mine are starting to look pretty bad.

I don't mean to take over your board, but if anyone knows if they ever come back up, that would be great. :)

gapbegone

#3 Post by gapbegone »

Thanks for your response, Thisisme!

I know we hear about the gums receding from other people and I am grateful that is not a problem at the moment, but this scares me a little too! I have been keeping up with the flossing, at least once a day, brushing my gums too as told by the ortho, plus brushing and rinsing with Act; i am at a loss of what else I can do.

They feel fine, but I am just scared they are going to come over the glue or even the bracket, and then what?? If they come over the glue, and it is time to take off the glue/ cement, ummm, yikes. Mine just come right to the top of the cement right now, and it is amazing how much of my tooth is just "disappearing" before my eyes, ya know?

We're in this together, and yes please, if anyone knows anything, esp. if they eventually settle and go back up, we both would love to know. Hang in there!!

Jewles

#4 Post by Jewles »

Mine have done the same thing, it looks like im all gums and braces with no teeth!

DrJasonKTam

#5 Post by DrJasonKTam »

During orthodontic treatment, gums that grow to touch the braces is generally the result of poor oral hygiene. There may be plaque or bacteria under the gums, or near the gum side of the bracket, causing this reaction. It is important to remember to floss under the gums, not just between the teeth. Overgrowth of this type usually subsides when the source is removed.

Other possible causes are drug-induced, and systemic hormonal factors. Speak to your orthodontist if you have particular concerns about your treatment. Good luck!
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

TumbleDryLow

#6 Post by TumbleDryLow »

Yup. Me too. Just seems to be a problem with my upper molars, and as the Dr. said, I'm probably not flossing as well there. I have a really hard time maneuvering the floss between those teeth. I've lived without a water-pick thus far in treatment, but maybe the time has come...

changes09

#7 Post by changes09 »

I spoek to my ortho about this also. I was scaredt hat I was going to need perio surgery. He said that its not bad and it will receeded within a week of debracing. Just ask your ortho he will tell you.

CassieB

#8 Post by CassieB »

Exact same problem and only between my two front teeth. I went to have my teeth cleaned and there was "something stuck" in my gums. I am fastidious about flossing and water pic, but I think some of us are just more predisposed to this than others. Mine was SO swollen, but much much better now.

Takako

#9 Post by Takako »

There's gum swelling, which is one thing, and happens to me all the time with my bracketed molars. ALL the time. Seems one side or the other on the top is swollen. But actual growth is a different thing, and I seem to have that, too! Above my upper left front tooth, the gum has grown down just a hair, so it's not a round contour but more of a diagonal line. It's no biggie, but I didn't notice it until I was comparing photos yesterday!

gapbegone

#10 Post by gapbegone »

Thanks everyone for your advice and opinions!

Jewles: Yes, on my upper arch I only have Teeth showing behind and below the brackets!

DrJasonKTam: Thank you for your professional advice. I am pretty sure this is not a hygiene thing as I have had excellent reports from the ortho assistant who I saw last time. Perhaps I am in the next category you explained.

TumbleDryLow: yes, perhaps it is the flossing with your case. I am super good at my routine, but just to be sure have just purchased a waterpik, and will use that to make sure, because while I can floss my gums in between the teeth and around the arch a little, I cannot get it in right above the brackets, the waterpick may help. Good luck to you!

changes09: I am glad you spoke wit your ortho about it, I will do the same next time. I had read somewhere else on here that someone had to just have the brackets removed, they left the cement on for about another week, then when the gums receded they removed the cement.

CassieB: Ouch, that sounds painful!! I am glad you are all better now. In my case I know it is not a piece of something stuck because it is with all the teeth, and particularly the top arch. The bottom is hardly affected.

Takako: Yes!!! I have realized this is definitely not swelling. I have no discomfort, they are not puffy, a beautiful pink color and the ortho assistant gave me a great review. So yes, it seems to be gum growth. I am glad to not be the only one, and that other people have had this as well.

I find it interesting that it mostly affects my upper arch.

Thanks again for all your replies!!! :D

TennesseeSLP

Re: The opposite of receding gums? Anyone else have this?

#11 Post by TennesseeSLP »

I know this is a long shot because this post was last commented on about 9 yrs ago, but I am really freaking out when comparing my 5months w braces to my 1.5 yr pics with braces. My front teeth are almost half the simple they used to be and I have had really good dental exams as well as floss and use a Phillips electric toothbrush to keep everything clean. What has been the end result for you all with this issue???