What a Year Can Do!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

signingsunflower

What a Year Can Do!!!

#1 Post by signingsunflower »

One year ago I was diagnosed with severe TMJ because of a deep overbite and because of so much crowding in my lower left jaw I was at risk of losing a one if not more teeth. Cosmetically, my teeth didn't look horrible, but to my orthodontist they were a nightmare. One year later, he is amazed by the progress AND I don't have to have any teeth removed. To anyone debating whether or not to make this leap....DO IT! It will be the best money and time you have ever spent. I am so happy with this decision. I would definitely recommend you go to an orthodontist rather than just a general dentist. An orthodontist will create a smile that best promotes your facial features and bite....but a general dentist will likely just make sure your teeth are straight.

Check out my blog by clicking on www.
Initial Consult/Molds: 9/10/08
8 Spacers: 10/17/08
Brace Day: 10/24/08
First Adjustment: 12/5/08
Sentence: 2-3 years

yj207

#2 Post by yj207 »

Wow your teeth are so straight! I can't wait for mine to be all moved.
Braced for 23 months 1 week and 3 days!
I had 4 extractions and all my wisdom teeth removed.
I decided to get removal retainers so it will be easier to floss.

Laura1985

#3 Post by Laura1985 »

Your teeth look awesome!!!
Upper: Damon3mx on 6/1/2009
Lower: 7/27/09
4 extractions done in May
Canine exposure eventually

drrick

Re: What a Year Can Do!!!

#4 Post by drrick »

[quote="signingsunflower"]One year ago I was diagnosed with severe TMJ because of a deep overbite and because of so much crowding in my lower left jaw I was at risk of losing a one if not more teeth. Cosmetically, my teeth didn't look horrible, but to my orthodontist they were a nightmare. One year later, he is amazed by the progress AND I don't have to have any teeth removed. To anyone debating whether or not to make this leap....DO IT! It will be the best money and time you have ever spent. I am so happy with this decision. I would definitely recommend you go to an orthodontist rather than just a general dentist. An orthodontist will create a smile that best promotes your facial features and bite....but a general dentist will likely just make sure your teeth are straight.

That is somewhat of an unfair statement. It really depends on each individual doctor (ortho or GP) and it is unfair to make such broad generalizations IMO.

BTW, your teeth are looking nice. FWIW, from what I have seen I would have treated you non-ext.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

mmaynard

#5 Post by mmaynard »

Your teeth really look great. I think you have a wonderful smile.
Brackets top/bottom. Estimated 2 years.

signingsunflower

Thank you!

#6 Post by signingsunflower »

Thank you all for your encouragement. I am so glad I made this decision!!! It has been a long year, but I am glad I took the leap!!

catsteeth

#7 Post by catsteeth »

Wow! That really is a difference. You've given me a lot of encouragement.
Catherine

justonejaw.blogspot.com

switchblades

Re: What a Year Can Do!!!

#8 Post by switchblades »

drrick wrote:
signingsunflower wrote:One year ago I was diagnosed with severe TMJ because of a deep overbite and because of so much crowding in my lower left jaw I was at risk of losing a one if not more teeth. Cosmetically, my teeth didn't look horrible, but to my orthodontist they were a nightmare. One year later, he is amazed by the progress AND I don't have to have any teeth removed. To anyone debating whether or not to make this leap....DO IT! It will be the best money and time you have ever spent. I am so happy with this decision. I would definitely recommend you go to an orthodontist rather than just a general dentist. An orthodontist will create a smile that best promotes your facial features and bite....but a general dentist will likely just make sure your teeth are straight.
That is somewhat of an unfair statement. It really depends on each individual doctor (ortho or GP) and it is unfair to make such broad generalizations IMO.

BTW, your teeth are looking nice. FWIW, from what I have seen I would have treated you non-ext.
I agree, I went to a dentist, not an orthodontist, for my braces because I had heard good things from other patients. He took the time to explain eveyrthing, and when he was outside of his field of expertise (for example, when we were talking about surgery) he did extra research and consulted with other doctors in order to not give me false information. He recommended me for jaw surgery, which didn't end up working out - on account of a total lack of care and professionalism from the surgical firm - and while he still told me that there are things that are beyond his control, he made sure that before he even considered taking the braces off, my teeth were in place to suit MY preferences. I got my braces off a week ago and have never been happier with my smile :)
Initial Consult: August 22nd, 2008
Upper Arch Bracketed: October 22nd, 2008
Lower Arch Bracketed: December 3rd, 2008
Debraced: October 15th, 2009

My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... sc&start=0

bb

#9 Post by bb »

Your teeth are crazy gorgeous!!
Congrats!!

jadestar

#10 Post by jadestar »

Wow..you have such a pretty smile. :D

uvraise

#11 Post by uvraise »

What a HOT smile you have!

Boohill

#12 Post by Boohill »

Wow you are ready for the tooth paste commercial. Your teeth look wonderful.

signingsunflower

#13 Post by signingsunflower »

Thank you all so much for your encouragement. I love the part about the toothpaste commercial. LOL. I still have about another year left in braces. I am super excited to see the end product! :-)

If you are considering braces....do it!!!!! :-)

evilnel

#14 Post by evilnel »

Signingsunflower: My front teeth are also tipped back like yours were. Can you tell me about how long it took for them to come into line with the rest of your arch? Your teeth look great!

Chanelz

#15 Post by Chanelz »

Your teeth look really really good!