Just got braces - so happy!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

catsteeth

Just got braces - so happy!

#1 Post by catsteeth »

I've been waiting 20 years for this. I'm 44 and I've been putting this off because of the cost and the fear factor related to having surgery. I got my braces this morning. The OD told me that I won't have any appliances and I probably won't even get elastics until after I have my BSSO in 18 to 24 months. Hooray! I don't even have to see her for almost 3 months.

Okay, the pain hasn't hit me yet. Ask me how happy I am tomorrow.

Cat

socksy

#2 Post by socksy »

Congratulations! I'm sure you won't regret your decision.

clear Radiance brackets top and bottom

MrMetalMouth1029

#3 Post by MrMetalMouth1029 »

Welcome to our world! Remember that it will not feel very comfortable for the first few days or even weeks. Everyone adjusts differently. You may go through a time where you wish you never got braced, but it's so worth it! Braces have caused most all of us to have some awesome transformations! Best wishes!
Braced (upper and lower): 10/29/08
Debraced: 3/17/10
Now sportin' a permanent bottom retainer
Alternate clear retainers every 12 hours

yj207

#4 Post by yj207 »

Congrats! For me the pain isn't that bad and getting braces was something I always wanted to do. I'm glad you are finally able to do it too! :D
Braced for 23 months 1 week and 3 days!
I had 4 extractions and all my wisdom teeth removed.
I decided to get removal retainers so it will be easier to floss.

VistaXP

#5 Post by VistaXP »

Are you happy?

catsteeth

#6 Post by catsteeth »

I'm not too bad. Thanks for asking. I'm got one molar band and a bunch of hooks that are covered in wax but otherwise okay.

What really hurts is my face. I had some kind of reaction from having the retractor in and one side of my mouth is all cracked and sore. I'm definitely better than I thought I'd be.

My OD said that one of the perks of being an adult with braces is that you can go home and have a good stiff drink afterwards. It did help.

signingsunflower

Congrats!

#7 Post by signingsunflower »

I am 30 and getting braces has been the best decision I have ever made!!! :-) Congratulations!
Check out my blog by clicking on www.
Initial Consult/Molds: 9/10/08
8 Spacers: 10/17/08
Brace Day: 10/24/08
First Adjustment: 12/5/08
Sentence: 2-3 years

Laura1985

#8 Post by Laura1985 »

Congrats on getting them!! It'll be worth it! :)
Upper: Damon3mx on 6/1/2009
Lower: 7/27/09
4 extractions done in May
Canine exposure eventually

hal2me

#9 Post by hal2me »

Congratulations on your decision! You should be happy because you took control of something you did not like. I got braced at 34 and could not be happier with my decision. There will be times where you think, "What did I do?", but it is so worth it!

Enjoy the journey! :lol:

almost50

#10 Post by almost50 »

I was braced a year ago. Your situation sounds very similar. Put it off for many years due to cost, and surgery. My teeth are so straight now, and just waiting until the next big step in 2 months (still kind of scared but resigned to it and looking forward to having it behind me). So glad I did it.