What if my Upper Teeth are straight before bottoms?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

HDG182

What if my Upper Teeth are straight before bottoms?

#1 Post by HDG182 »

My upper teeth are almost perfect but my bottoms are still a little crooked. Will most orthodontists take off upper braces before bottoms or wait till everything is straight? I plan on asking my orthodontist next time I see him, but wondered if anyone dealt with this.

ghotieyes

#2 Post by ghotieyes »

My upper teeth moved much faster than my lowers. I only have teeny gaps to close up on both, so obviously I'm still fully braced. But if your uppers are done and your lowers still have yet to catch up, I'm pretty sure your ortho will keep you fully braced too. That way, if for whatever reason he needs to make adjustments on how the top and bottom interact, you won't have to go through the whole process again. He won't be able to put the brackets on exactly where they were before so you'd have to go through the progression of wires to do any additional work. (I've had mine off twice in the 3+ years for various reasons)

socksy

#3 Post by socksy »

My uppers have been done for a couple of months now, but their brackets can't come off because there may be some minor changes that are required in the detailing stage. The lowers seem to take much longer for pretty much everyone.

clear Radiance brackets top and bottom

electrokitty

#4 Post by electrokitty »

I'm the wrong way round. My bottoms have been straight for ages but I'm still in top and bottom braces. I guess because I will be in class II elastics til the end, so my bottoms need to stay put for the elastics to hook on to.

DrJasonKTam

#5 Post by DrJasonKTam »

Making straight teeth is only one part of your treatment. Making sure the occlusion, or bite, is correct is another. Generally, in order to make sure the bite is correct, it requires coordination between the upper and lower jaws, meaning braces still need to stay on until this has occurred. Final arch coordination requires both the top and bottom teeth to be aligned first.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but hope it helps :).
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

signingsunflower

Uppers

#6 Post by signingsunflower »

Hi there! My uppers are almost all where they need to be but my lower jaw is a mess. I will stay braced on my uppers because the ortho needs them for elastics down the road to make sure everything lines up.
Check out my blog by clicking on www.
Initial Consult/Molds: 9/10/08
8 Spacers: 10/17/08
Brace Day: 10/24/08
First Adjustment: 12/5/08
Sentence: 2-3 years