six month smile - should I tell them?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

letigrelady

six month smile - should I tell them?

#1 Post by letigrelady »

Hello

I'm having my six month smile braces fitted in under a month - excited and nervous - I can't imagine what it will be like to have teeth that I am not ashamed of.

I am a teacher and work with kids 11 -16, bit worried about their reaction...should I tell them about the brace or wait until they notice?

Has anyone else had a similar experience or can offer their opinion?

Thank you :)

DrJasonKTam

#2 Post by DrJasonKTam »

Shouldn't be much of a problem. One of our patient's who is a teacher had the same concerns, but because of finances, opted for metal braces. At the first visit she went for the most discreet silver ligs.

She came back at her next appointment requesting colours as her students thought she was cool for getting braces!

Good luck!
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

drrick

#3 Post by drrick »

I have treated many, many teachers right now with Powerprox Six Month Braces. I would just surprise them and let them see the new braces. Even with clear braces you can get colored ligs in your school colors if you like.
I have treated many with lingual braces too but the ones that got regular braces ALWAYS said the students thought it was cool.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

KimC

#4 Post by KimC »

I teach junior high and have had braces for about 20 months now. I didn't tell my kids or anyone else (other than my sisters) that I was getting them. I was very nervous, but I noticed them more than anyone else. My students do think it is cool, that I wear braces too. I wear Damon 3 brackets which are quite visible ad it hasn't been an issue for me at all either professionally, socially or otherwise. Good luck and congratulations on your decision.

KimC

letigrelady

#5 Post by letigrelady »

thank you for the words of support.

I teach in England - I think Braces on adults are still more of a taboo subject over here. Saying that I do have a good relationship with my form class and I'm really hoping they'll be supportive. I think I might just wait until they notice - then talk to them about it.

Looking forward to getting it started and being on the way to straighter teeth...something I just can't imagine!

macgirl4ever

Lesson Plans

#6 Post by macgirl4ever »

Are you kidding? Several months ago, we had a statistics lesson where the class chose my next color combo and then generated data to create graphs and charts. They loved it and were just asking yesterday when we were going to do it again!
Braced: 20 months March 2009-November 2010

Unlikejoey

#7 Post by Unlikejoey »

I'm a teacher with 6 month smile braces. I'm on supply work although I do alot of work in the school I worked in last year and the kids havent even noticed!!!

Rachel B

#8 Post by Rachel B »

It's not exactly the same situation but I teach in a primary school (4-11). I told the children I was getting braces before I got them and they were all really sweet about it, asking me lots of questions etc.
The best thing is that they aren't scared of getting braces now and those who get them always love flashing me a smile like they're in my club!

:lol:

Fashionvictim

To tell or not to tell

#9 Post by Fashionvictim »

I know from my trip with my twin daughters that kids like being part of your adventure. Tell them you are nervous and ask them for advice. Better yet, let them pick your ligs for your Bday. They listen to you all day now listen to them.
[/url]

Janey

#10 Post by Janey »

letigrelady wrote:thank you for the words of support.

I teach in England - I think Braces on adults are still more of a taboo subject over here. Saying that I do have a good relationship with my form class and I'm really hoping they'll be supportive. I think I might just wait until they notice - then talk to them about it.

Looking forward to getting it started and being on the way to straighter teeth...something I just can't imagine!
I'm getting 6 month smile braces fitted at the end of the month. I'm also a secondary teacher and I have to admit that I'm starting to get nervous about the kids reaction. I was thinking about telling my form group beforehand as a way of 'getting it out there'. What did you do in the end? And have you had them fitted yet?

switchblades

#11 Post by switchblades »

I am not a teacher, but I'm a Program Leader with the YMCA lunchtime and after school programs, and the kids all think it's neat that I have retainers. One girl today said she is getting retainers this Thursday, and is scared, but then she saw mine and wasn't scared anymore! It was sweet. She was 9 I think? hehe
Initial Consult: August 22nd, 2008
Upper Arch Bracketed: October 22nd, 2008
Lower Arch Bracketed: December 3rd, 2008
Debraced: October 15th, 2009

My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... sc&start=0

letigrelady

#12 Post by letigrelady »

Thanks everyone

Janey - I am getting the braces put on this Thursday - today I nearly told my form but wimped out...thought I might blurt out in the staffroom at lunch ' hey guys, guess what.. im getting a brace' and then decided this was ridiculous. I might tell my form tomorrow - i might wait until i go in on friday - if i tell them before i'll be conscious that they'll be staring at my wonky teeth - i think id rather them stare at my brace!!

Going though such a mix of emotions in the lead up... will let you know how it goes...im sure it'll be a bigger deal to me than it will be to them!

:lol:

Janey

#13 Post by Janey »

Best of luck of luck for tomorrow. I'm sure it will be fine and although we may be a coversation topic for the kids (and staff!) it probably won't be for long! I have told some people in the staff room already - the name ugly betty was banded around but in good natured jest.

Again, best of luck...looking forward to the updates!

letigrelady

my story

#14 Post by letigrelady »

I'm keeping a blog about my six month smile journey.

I'm not sure how to post the link to it but its in the brace stories forum if anyone is interested... day one.. it begins!