Elastics question

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

trillium

Elastics question

#1 Post by trillium »

I just got elastics on friday (for the record... mountain gorillas). This is kind of a silly question... when you take out your elastics to eat, where do you put them? I had thought of putting them in my pocket but they might get fuzzy (ewww) or I might have something in my pocket- like coins (ewww). They said to change them twice a day- which doesn't quite coincide with 3 meals a day. It's okay if I'm home, but if I'm at work or at the mall or a restaurant, where should I put them?
04/09/09- Consult, 04/21/09- Spacers in, 04/23/09- Braces on, 06/01/09- Extractions
06/25/09- First Adjustment (new wire, but same size- all the way to bck molars- after extractions)
08/20/09- Second adjustment (same size wire but got Powerchains top and bottom!!!)
10/02/09- 3rd adj (same size wire, new powerchain, started elastics)
12/10/09- 4th adj. (same size wire, new powerchain, same elastics)
02/11/10- 5th adj.

drrick

#2 Post by drrick »

wrap them around your finger
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

Lela

#3 Post by Lela »

I never re-used elastics. When I took them out for a meal they were replaced with a fresh set after I'd eaten and brushed. Three meals and three sets of elastics a day :D

So my answer would be: in the trash!
Fully braced 9-02-08
Braces off 9-21-09

socksy

#4 Post by socksy »

Yes, I agree with Lela - drop them in the trash. :) I wear mine 24-hours per day and I never reuse them. You'll find when you put a fresh set in they are tighter, so I think they lose their elasticity quickly. I change mine in the morning and every time I brush during the day (after meals, basically).

clear Radiance brackets top and bottom

iBorg

#5 Post by iBorg »

In my napkin. Then the trash.

Then I put new ones in.

If I run out, my ortho will drop me new ones in the mail or I can drop in at her office and get a couple of packs and a great hot chocolate.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

jxds

#6 Post by jxds »

The easiest thing to do is just replace them each time you have to take them out. Often I try to keep them in to snack so I don't use more than 3 sets a day, in certain cases I use a napkin but mostly just throw them away and use a new set. You'll feel the tightness, I love that feeling! :P
braced 07/02/08, braces off january 2010
sentence: 18 months, upper and lower damons + elastics
Bonded+essix retainers
My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=28298

KimC

#7 Post by KimC »

I am supposed to keep mine in when I eat (which is easier said than done). I do usually try and do it unless I am eating in front of people who might find it a little gross. But I do change tehm when I brush after every meal. I do notice the new ones are tighter and feel like it might help speed things along.

KimC

iBorg

#8 Post by iBorg »

A good solution to carrying them is to put them in a half filled wax container. I normally can put ten elastics (enough for a couple of days) and have wax available in case I need the wax. I will need he elastics.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

trillium

#9 Post by trillium »

thanks everyone... I'll just change them after meals and call for more when I run out.

T
04/09/09- Consult, 04/21/09- Spacers in, 04/23/09- Braces on, 06/01/09- Extractions
06/25/09- First Adjustment (new wire, but same size- all the way to bck molars- after extractions)
08/20/09- Second adjustment (same size wire but got Powerchains top and bottom!!!)
10/02/09- 3rd adj (same size wire, new powerchain, started elastics)
12/10/09- 4th adj. (same size wire, new powerchain, same elastics)
02/11/10- 5th adj.

mwic1985

#10 Post by mwic1985 »

I never reuse mine!
--
Marc