Do You Ever PANIC???

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lindesd

Do You Ever PANIC???

#1 Post by lindesd »

Just a quick question, but do any of you ever panic at the thought that things may not turn out the way you dreamed.

I have wanted this for so long and sometimes I get so distressed at the thought that things won't work out. Especially, when things don't look right. I am scheduled to have them off in January and I don't think I will be ready.

I guess I just need someone to talk me down or give me a bit of encouragment. :cry:

I am SO DEPRESSED right now.

BRACEYOURSELF!

#2 Post by BRACEYOURSELF! »

I dread it all the time. I went into ortho wanting them to take teeth out so they can fix my overbite, but they decided to keep all my teeth. Now I'm worried my mouth won't be pushed back enough and all this will be a waste of money :(

Look at it this way, having had braces will mean your teeth and smile will look better then it did before. There's more to life, be happy with other aspects. There are people out there who will never get the chance to have a beautiful smile for various reasons. Count yourself lucky. Take a stroll through the hospital corridors and you'll realize how little everything becomes.
I am Jack's smirking revenge.

jjjmac

#3 Post by jjjmac »

I am completely in this boat. I'm trying to think positive about it - as the other person said, it will look better than before. Sometimes I wonder, if I knew it was going to turn out the way it looks like it's going to, would it have been worth the money and the pain? I don't really know, and there's not much I can do about it now. I'm only halfway done and have about a year left but I can tell things aren't going to end up like I hoped.

It's my fault...I failed to really consider that my teeth aren't shaped or sized right, even once they are straight, they're still going to be quite a bit off. I know there are some other things that can be done but I also have to ask myself how much more time and money am I willing to commit to my mouth!

Try to focus on other things - for better or for worse, at least you had the braces and you won't have to have that hanging over you (both the having them or from before, the thinking you have to get them!). I don't know what your smile will end up looking like, and it might not be perfect, but it's probably at least normal enough for you to not have to hide it anymore.

You should bring it up to your ortho though - they can usually give some suggestions about cosmetic work you can have done afterwards, if you chose to do so.
First Ortho Consult: 6/12/08
4 premolars extracted: 11/4/08
Braced Upper & Lower w/TPA: 11/6/08
Debraced: 11/18/10

TumbleDryLow

#4 Post by TumbleDryLow »

I'm sorry you feel that way. Don't be depressed. Be proactive. Call the office and (politely) demand an appointment to sit down and talk to your ortho. Tell him/her exactly what you do not like. January is still a good way off. Maybe these are things that can be fixed by then. If they can't be fixed by ortho work, maybe they can be fixed by a bit of bonding or tooth shaping.

pjs56

#5 Post by pjs56 »

I cannot tell you how much I feel the same way!

I am a 26 year old male, and it has taken me literally 12 years and four attempts (all bottled at the last minute) to actually pluck up the courage to do it. I honestly consider it the most important thing I have ever done. It's stupid, but it's become that important to me. But I can't help it. I've invested so much time, (money), pain and misery in this (and for me it really has been misery - I have never got used to it, never lost the self consciousness about it every time I go out for dinner, for a drinks with friends...) sometimes I think I am going to burst with anxiety over the result.

It's been nearly 20 months (I had them on in February 2008) and I am due to have them off any month now. And having been tormented for years seeing my friends at school, relatives, (people on this site) etc. get them and come out with such great results, I am terrified that I won't feel the same way. Little niggles seem hugely magnified, and I can count at least a dozen things I'm still not happy with. Perhaps it's as someone above said - I ought to get a little cosmetic work done at the end to really finish it off. Who knows.

There are times when I feel as if everything else in my life is on hold until I get this done with. For me it's more paralysis than panic. So I can totally sympathise with you/ understand your feelings.

I am sorry not to be more cheerful (hardly an inspiring post, which is probably what you wanted) - best of luck with the treatment, it is nice to feel there is someone who knows you are going through the same thing