How do i convince myself to get this done

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

stokie66

How do i convince myself to get this done

#1 Post by stokie66 »

HI all im 25 and male and really want to get braces but just dont think i have the guts to go through with it even tho i no how much it wud change my life once its over. I first had braces when i was about 16 but i did not wear the retainer as much as i should biggest mistake of my life because i ddint realise how much they wud move, i didnt wear them cus i had met a nice girl for 1st time and was really embarrased to have them on when in front of her stupid i no. But anyway im now 25 and want to get them again but the biggest problem for me is i have a very active social life and out drinking at weekends with friends and that and i just wont beable to go out normally again till there off and i no ill get teased by my mates. Also i play in soccer teams and they will definately take the piss if they see a 25 year old with braces. And then there is the biggest factor of all which is having no woman for 18 months - 2 years (split with my g/f few months ago) i no i should go through with it because i always smile with my mouth closed and just carnt let my self go and laugh my head off in front of friends cus im so self conscious of my teeth its getting me really down. God im writing too much and not really sure why cus not sure how any1 can really help but i ust dont think i can face the humiliation for 18 months even tho i no in the long run it will be worth it, i booked to have them done 2 years ago but bottled out at the last minute. Sorry for the rant but just wanted to wrote how im feeling lol

diesel

#2 Post by diesel »

either opt for a less visible kind or brave the elements of a full black and decker rail set.
You're far too influenced by what some girl or your boys will think. So much that you let your teeth go for her. Irrational.
Envision the result --> being able to laugh freely, self assurance. and this time actually MAINTAIN it.

nessness

#3 Post by nessness »

hello Stokie! :)

Well, in terms of activeness I'd say you're going to be alright with that. They do have products that help with sports such as a mouthguard to protect them. If braces can withstand a teenager whose more active in alot of things like P.E etc, then I'm sure it will be ok for soccer...you just have to be more aware.

As for going out and meeting girls, come on now that won't be an issue!...There's many girls that like a man who is taking that initiative to look after his image. Plus there are girls who find it attractive you know :wink:

Just think about it how I'm thinking about it luv....It will be a couple years of tolerance, some pain and discomfort, but then a lifetime of a good smile, and no reason to hide it anymore! It will be worth it again, as long as you take care with the retainer this time. You're still so young and you've got many many years ahead of you. And according to alot of people on here, after the novelty of anticipating the wait goes, the time will FLY by! So think positive about it. It's something that bothers you otherwise you wouldn't have written, so make it happen and see how happy you will soon be.

All the best on your decision hun :)

BRACEYOURSELF!

#4 Post by BRACEYOURSELF! »

take a spoon of cement and harden the F#$% up!

lol joking, if I were you, I'd go for it rather then spending the rest of your life wondering what life would have been had you gotten those braces. Took me 21years before I finally got mine and don't regret it one bit.

PS: alot of girls think braces are cute 8)
I am Jack's smirking revenge.

AshJP

#5 Post by AshJP »

Are you suitable for Invisalign? (Is your bite not too bad/teeth)

Thought about cosmetic 6 month braces?

sarahlynn

#6 Post by sarahlynn »

If you want them now you'll likely still want them (and probably need them more) 10 years from now. You're still young and won't look out of place with them - no one is too old.

I play soccer with my braces on and it's not a problem at all.

About the social factor, I think you're magnifying it in your head much more than what reality will show. Read the stories here, there are so many people that thought their dating life would halt during treatment only to find a new boyfriend/girlfriend AFTER they got the braces on. And as for your friends, they probably don't care if you got them. Again read here and find out how many people are teased by friends, family, strangers - hardly anyone. If you make a big deal out of them, then other people will. If you brush it off, so will other people. With my close friends I crack jokes about them and we laugh and my friends who have had them before sympathize.

You're worrying over nothing - not to say that we all haven't felt that way though. Once they're on and your used to them your confidence about your smile will increase even with them on - I know mine has.
Brace days:
uppers - June 11, 2009
lowers - August 27, 2009

My story - http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... highlight=

TumbleDryLow

#7 Post by TumbleDryLow »

I've needed braces my whole life--never had them as a child/teen, and I don't have a minor issue either. I thought the same things as you. I had a million excuses why I couldn't/shouldn't get braces. So instead I walked around with horrible teeth and low self-confidence and self-esteem.

Finally at age 34 I was ready. What changed? I'm the same person, I have the same social life, same friends, I work full time, I still go out in public. The only difference is that I was really ready. I realized that my reasons for not getting braces were not reasons at all but excuses, and there is no excuse for feeling bad about yourself when there is something you can do about it.

You will get braces when you are ready. No one can convince you--nor should they. You need to jump into this because you want to, and because you are fully ready to do so.

My only advice--and it's not advice really, maybe just words of wisdom--I'm kicking myself for not doing this in my 20's.

Kharmynn

#8 Post by Kharmynn »

I agree with TumbleDryLow, you should really decide for yourself whether or not you're ready for the commitment that having braces is going to take. Do a little research and think about how braces will fit into your life right now.
In the long run though you'll only have braces for around 2 years, right? You'll have your (straight and fabulous) teeth for the rest of your life.

As far as dating, I doubt that will be an issue. If you were attracted to someone would a little thing like them having braces keep you from being interested? It wouldn't me.
And then there are the people who have a thing for braces...
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.

Unlikejoey

#9 Post by Unlikejoey »

Just take it one step at a time. Book a consultation and see what your options are. Remember there is no obligation to go ahead with the treatment. I'm 24 and never in a million years did I think I would go ahead with the treatment but here I am almost 2 months in and my teeth are moving every day. I guess it all depends on how much you want it.

stokie66

#10 Post by stokie66 »

Thanks for the replies guys you have helped a lot, i have decided like some1 said and take it 1 step at a time book the cosultation then get it done, part of me feels like just saying sod every1 else and dont care what they think and then there is still the other side of talking to people i no at work and that for the 1st time and they will alll be like have u got braces on oh my god i need to get it done as welll because it has affected me self esteem so much that because i tend to not smile and let emotion out i have developed a blushing problem but thats a whole other issue, but anyway thanks again people.

ANGELFLUTTER

#11 Post by ANGELFLUTTER »

:D 53 year old lady here. I say go ahead and get the braces. Anyone knows that braces will only be in place for a couple of years. I am with the other poster that said that dating won't be an issue. Some of us do find braces S-E-X-Y. Plus, if the girl is worth a hoot, she will overlook the braces. If she is in it for the long haul - she will be proud that you took the initiative to take care of your dental health and improve your looks. Some of your guy friends will probably make attempts to tease you at first - Sorry, it's a guy thing. But, if you don't make a big deal out of it, they probably won't either. Depending on how bad your situation is - you could check into the invisaline. The only problem I can see with them is that you need to be responsible enough to wear them continuously. I myself am going all out heavy metal. I know myself too well. If I had invisiline and had any discomfort whatsoever - I would be neglectful in wearing them. Clear brackets are okay I guess from what my ortho tells me - but they are larger and more bulkier than metal. and, he also told me that several times he has recieved bad batches of brackets that crack and or fall off. I don't plan on spending X amount of time in my ortho's office having brackets replaced. Also the ceramic clear brackets do tend to stain really badly. I was given the choice, and the clear brackets looked funny with the wires. The wires seemed to be floating around. From what I have seen -when braces are first placed on - those wires are not in a perfect straight band around the teeth - some are zig zagged. :idea: What I think is very S-E-X-Y, are the gold brackets and wires. ( No, I don'thave a braces fettish - just sayin... ) You might get on the internet and check out those pics. Just type in "Gold Braces" for your search word. They are more expensive, but then again they look expensive. And yes S-E-X-Y.

cakeorbed

#12 Post by cakeorbed »

Hey I just wanted to reply to this – I am 26 and got my braces on a month ago and I went through much anxiety beforehand – I also went to have them done a year and a half ago but bottled out at the last moment! It’s true, you will only have them on when you are ready. I really wanted invisalign at first but my ortho recommended not as it wouldn’t take much longer and be more expensive and it took months to come to terms with the idea of having full metal braces!

But you know what? It is really and honestly not as bad as I thought it would be. I haven’t got any bad comments at all and I am always meeting new people at work and dealing with clients – in fact yesterday I survived giving my first big presentation braced! I’m sure people notice when they first meet me but after around 10 minutes of talking they forget I’m even wearing them, it isn’t an issue. I’ve even had loads of questions from people who say they’ve been secretly thinking of getting them!

I know that there’s more teasing with blokes and you may have to endure a week or so of it, but I bet that afterwards you won’t hear anything else! You wearing braces will just become normal.

Also, if I met a guy with braces I just think that he was really brave, I think all adults with braces are brave because it’s a difficult thing to take the plunge and do.

Hope it works out, keep us posted! x

BRACEYOURSELF!

#13 Post by BRACEYOURSELF! »

On the other hand, braces will to some extent make you less of a conversationalist (only during the beginning months) because you get ulcers and takes awhile to get used to speaking clearly with them on (especially with a combination of elastics and bite plates like I did). It passes with time :)
I am Jack's smirking revenge.

Miss Moppet

#14 Post by Miss Moppet »

Get them Get them Get them!!! :-) Seriously i never thought i would BUT i always knew i would just love straight teeth. I looked into veneers first as braces just wasnt an option (i thought) but the cosmetic dentist i saw about the veneers made me realise i have really good teeth (shape and no cavities) and he said why shave bits off your teeth and have veneers stuck on when you could have braces, retain your teeth and have no worries once the treatment was over. I realised i'm the kind of girl that would eg train rather than have lipo and so holistically braces made much more sense than veneers and would sort out all my wonky teeth issues rather than mask the front 4. I've got clear brackets (in-ovation c so they dont stain) and i have had nothing but support (AND ENVY!!!) from people. I also now notice other people's wonky teeth and wonder why they dont get braces and then feel all brave and cool cos i did something about mine. I smile more and i think i've got even more confident cos it is so empowering doing something a little scary/risky and coming through the other side & realising the world still turns. I went straight back into work the afternoon i had them put on and people were fascinated and interested and then the next day it was old news. I'm still me. The people who liked me before like me now and the ones who didnt still dont!! Its just a bit of metal and ceramic in my mouth. I know that when theyre off and i get my teeth whitened (the goal treat) i will be soooo happy to have something i have always wanted - lovely, pretty teeth :-)

wilson123

#15 Post by wilson123 »

Hi there,

I'm a 24 year old guy who decided to get braces and very much the same boat regarding going out etc

My advice would be to just go for it mate. Unlike you, I didn't have them when I was younger, so the amazement I am getting from seeing parts of my teeth that I have never seen before (from being crooked to now straight) and all within 6 weeks is just unbelievable. I'm scheduled for eight months so there is still a long way to go, but as someone on here said: I'd rather people look at me and go "he has braces on" that them think "he needs braces"