The Truth about Brushing teeth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

fipo

The Truth about Brushing teeth

#1 Post by fipo »

Hi all.
Since Ive got my braces on 5 weeks ago, ive been getting paranoid about brushing my teeth. You hear that you shouldnt brush your teeth straight after eating as the acid in your mouth softens the enamel and brushing can wear it away. So is this true? Is it better to wait a while and then brush (not very pleasent with braces) or are u risking cavities allowing food etc to sit around the brackets. I notice the edges of my front teeth look sorta see-through. I do use proenamel / and arm and hammer enamel care toothpaste. But just freaked with all the brushing it will end up doing me more harm to my teeth....ruining my enamel but end up with straight teeth!

newsboysgrl777

#2 Post by newsboysgrl777 »

Hi Fipo,

Just a quick response to say that if you feel you need to brush because of food or whatever being in your brackets, you can ALWAYS rinse with water, or, better yet, get a waterpik and use that to flush anything that might be stuck OUT. However, it is VERY TRUE that brushing right away can damage the enamel, so rinsing/water-piking is your best option. Also, it's a great idea to use a fluoride mouthwash during your time in braces, just in case. :)

Good luck!! :)