Brackets on wisdom teeth?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mmaynard

Brackets on wisdom teeth?

#1 Post by mmaynard »

Hi. I was curious if it is common to have brackets on wisdom or if orthodontists usually don't put brackets on them.

Thanks!!

sksk11

#2 Post by sksk11 »

My ortho is not putting brackets on my wisdom teeth, he says that they don't normally cause too much of a problem with the overall bite and result, so it's not worth it - this was an unexpected surprise for me as it meant we were ready to move on to closing the gaps in my teeth!

I am a bit concerned that once the gaps at the front are closed, there will be gaps between the wisdom teeth and the next molars along, which could potentially be a lovely little food trap! Guess my super-duper oral hygiene routine will need to be continued into the future!

Some orthos do bracket the wisdom teeth though, I guess it just depends on preference. See Elpi's story - her wisdom teeth are bracketed, and at much of the same angle as mine now sit, and will do forever more!

:-1 SK

UGHBRACES

#3 Post by UGHBRACES »

My wisdom teeth were removed 10 years ago.

But i do have all 28 of my teeth bracketed.

mmaynard

#4 Post by mmaynard »

Thanks for the feedback. I am not getting braces til Oct and was curious if it's common. Just curious. :)

bluegirl

#5 Post by bluegirl »

My 4 wisdom teeth were pulled back in December before getting braces.

Some of the teeth that were in front of those (which are now the ones in the very back) have brackets and some do not. The two on the right (last one on bottom and top) have brackets but do not have the wire running through them. The two on the left do not have brackets at all.
Braces (uppers & lowers) on: 8/3/09
Sentence: 2 years

lizard

#6 Post by lizard »

i have one wisdom tooth on top and both on the bottom. I don't have brackets on the top but I do on the bottom. I think it depends on whether or not your teeth are aligned where they should be but I don't think it's uncommon to have brackets on your wisdom teeth if they are out of alignment...the only bad part is they are really uncomfortable.

mmaynard

#7 Post by mmaynard »

Good info. He did say my wisdom teeth all came in fine. He was surprised I had a root canal on one but I guess he wants to align them better. I trust his judgement. Was just curious on how often they do it. Thanks for the comments.

TinselTim

#8 Post by TinselTim »

I have brackets on my wisdom teeth. I was told that it was unusual, but there doesn't seem to be anything "usual" about my mouth!

Margie

#9 Post by Margie »

I had my wisdom teeth removed in 2006.

I have brackets on the rest of my teeth.