What are my options?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

winston

What are my options?

#1 Post by winston »

Hello all.
I have a mild overbite which I feel makes my mouth appear a bit too 'full', and my lower lip makes contact with my top teeth making it difficult to comfortably close my lips. My teeth are straight overall, I'd just like to have the six front, top teeth moved back a bit to correct these issues and give a bit more balance to my mid-face area.

Could this be achieved with some sort of appliance, or would I need braces?

There is one thing though. I do have two crowns - the front top two teeth (The #1's) - and one of these is actually on a post in a filled root. I have read that implants cannot be moved, but I'm not sure if this counts as an implant (I certainly didn't pay implant money for it). I did visit an orthodontist years ago who said that he could do what I wanted and that the crown wouldn't be a problem, but it was always a concern of mine that the crown would be an issue, and I want to get some fresh information.

Can anyone help me out?
Thanks.

braceface418

#2 Post by braceface418 »

Regarding the post and crown -- as long as the post is fully encapsulated by the rest of the tooth and its root, it should move like a normal tooth. The only difficulties I've encountered with my crowns is that a bracket kept coming off of one of them.

Not sure regarding moving the teeth back with our without braces, but my guess would be that you would probably need braces. In any case, if you're in the US, you should be able to get a free consultation with an orthodontist to find out what your options are.

winston

#3 Post by winston »

Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if I got across what I have. It's a filled root, with post and a crown affixed to the post. There's no tooth or root there anymore. Does that change anything?

braceface418

#4 Post by braceface418 »

If it's an actual implant where a metal post was put in to the socket in your jaw bone where your tooth used to be, my understanding is that they won't be able to move that tooth because the post is permanently attached to the jaw bone.

If you just had a root canal performed on the tooth and they put a metal post in to what was remaining of the tooth, they should be able to move that. I hope that helps!

gracey82

#5 Post by gracey82 »

Like you, my teeth is generally straight, with almost no crowding. I jsut wanted to push my upper front few teeth back. (for cosmetic purposes).
I, too, thought I'm pretty mild case and might just need to wear braces for ocuple of month.

I have mild cross bite (which to me it doesnt matter) but to the orthon, he feel oblige to correct that as a orthon. (Much also due to the fact that he could earn more with me goin thru the whole treatment?)

I'm 3 weeks in braces now and sentenced to 1.5 years. Looking at my teeth, I think im going to talk to my orthon of speeding it up or have a compromise results ( to me as long as the fron few teeth is pushed back, I'm happy) to reduce the period of my treatment.

You could check on my stories to look at my teeth :D and see if its a similar case

Good luck!

winston

#6 Post by winston »

lenoreo, thanks, now I see where what I have differs from an implant.

gracey82, from what I can see your teeth look fine, like they need no work at all. I wonder what happens if part way through when your teeth look how you want them to look you just demand that the ortho remove the braces. I suppose they might shift back.